Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can\'t believe it, won it for *42 BUX!* (Read 6575 times) previous topic - next topic

Can\'t believe it, won it for *42 BUX!*

Reply #1
Hello fewtch,

Are you serious?

Technics??

What about an older NAD or Proton that are still famous for theire phono part?

ebay has lots of them.

Just an idea

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
Sweet!!! Let us know how it sounds (like that's gonna be a big surprise or something . Seem to be a lot of pre-amps floating around on eBay.

BTW, $260 in 1979 dollars= $678.88 in 2001 dollars. That thing was an expensive piece of amp back then!

Reply #3
nothing

The link doesn´t work

Wombat

Reply #4
Originally posted by Wombat
nothing

The link doesn´t work

Wombat

Search Google for "Technics SU-C01" & click on the first *cached* link that comes up...

P.S. to "are you serious"... sure, for $42 bucks!  And I don't have any expensive components to go with, this should be about perfect.

Reply #5
fewtch,

as for a standard system it should be more than sufficient and better sounding
than everything of this terratec alike phono preamps for archiving.

Have fun with your toy!

Wombat

Reply #6
Originally posted by Wombat
fewtch,

as for a standard system it should be more than sufficient and better sounding
than everything of this terratec alike phono preamps for archiving.

Have fun with your toy!

Wombat

Hehehe, thanks.  Hope the guy doesn't get too ticked off at the price, I was expecting a bunch of last second bids.  Remind me never to list anything ending on a Monday afternoon (U.S. time)...

Reply #7
Originally posted by Cygnus X1
Sweet!!! Let us know how it sounds (like that's gonna be a big surprise or something . Seem to be a lot of pre-amps floating around on eBay.

BTW, 0 in 1979 dollars= 8.88 in 2001 dollars. That thing was an expensive piece of amp back then!

Well, some of that money probably went into R&D for "miniaturizing" (probably a huge deal in 1979 if you think of the size of most 70's components).  But I'm sure this thing's built like a rock... it survived 23 years (the unit I bought just has a minor scratch across the top) & will probably be around 10-15 more years at least.

Actually tho, I heard the magic words: "phono circuitry is quite flat."  I've been going nuts trying to find a simple (inexpensive) phono preamp with flat RIAA response, low distortion & decent S/N ratio.  These days I guess most companies assume only "audiophiles" listen to records, and price accordingly... in 1979 everyone listened to records.

Reply #8
Cool!! 

No more plastic $20 buzz boxes..  this one should be a step (or three) above what you've had so far..

Let us know how it sounds..

Jon

Reply #9
Originally posted by JonPike
Cool!!   

No more plastic  buzz boxes..   this one should be a step (or three) above what you've had so far..

Let us know how it sounds..

Jon

It should be... of course, there's no such thing as certainty with 23 year old gear.  I'll post something about how it sounds.

Reply #10
I received the Technics preamp today.  Initial impressions are that a couple of the switches (mainly the aux/tuner/phono) are a bit glitchy, no big surprise from 1979 equipment... unfortunately I can't clean them (they're not pots but big slider-type switches soldered to the circuit board), anyone have any recommendations?

Anyway, it seems to sound very good.  What interests me in a phono preamp is what is going on below the audible threshold.  Here's what I get on the MM phono connection, with no turntable attached (at ~ -72dB, here amplified):

http://home.attbi.com/~fewtchmon/nophono.mp3

Pretty quiet!  Now with the phono attached + grounded, noise jumps to ~ -64dB, here amplified:

http://home.attbi.com/~fewtchmon/withphono.mp3

Still very good, some hum but it's well below the audible threshold.  Also, occasional interference from CB radios, but overall RFI resistance is good (gotta watch that glitchy switch though).

Reply #11
For the switches, i had an old amp that i couln't be bothered to change the pots on but i found if i sprayed a little WD40 (not sure if  u get it over in america, if you don't i'll describe the stuff in more detail) into the switches an then work them back and forth several times, it can eliminate alot of the crackling and poping.

It may sound a bit crazy but does work! The cracky switch actually blew one of the HF tweteers in my old warfdales when i had then at a pretty loud level,  well it was an excuse to get a new set of speakers! 

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #12
Yeah we do have WD-40 in the USA... thanks, I may give it a try (just hope it doesn't act as an insulator & mess up the switch).

Reply #13
WD-40 will do you no harm. Used it many times on variable resistors & tuners, and door hinges, and car locks, and vise grips, and rusted bolts, and, well, you get the idea.

It will fix noisy tone controls.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #14
I wouldn't take a chance with WD40.  There are several products designed specifically for cleaning/lubricating pots and such.

These products are inexpesive in small quantities and will restore and extend the life of the mechanisms.

The major products in use are ProGold DeoxIT and CaiLube.  I found a great reference/guide for when and how to use them here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/caigaud.pdf

A quick web search should turn up places to get them.

Best of luck with your setup.

Chris

Reply #15
Well, the trouble is with a switch and not a pot.  It's one of those slider types that turn with a knob, but internally slide left to right (4 positions).  Would I still want to use the same sort of stuff?  A switch is intermittently conductive (unlike a pot), so I wonder what I should use (aside from replacing it entirely)?

Edit -- well since I'm into saving money, & don't have any of this Deoxit stuff, maybe will try WD-40 anyway.  Sounds like the expensive treatments could cost as much as the preamp did ($42.00).

Reply #16
In small quantities, these products don't cost much more than WD40.  You are taking a chance of insulation, especially with switches compared to pots and with pots and WD40 you are taking a chance on dissolving or damaging the carbon coating.

DeoxIT is designed for use on switches and contacts, it's very good for cleaning all sorts of connectors too, especially RCA and DIN types.  It will enhance conductivity on connectors and switches and won't damage any plastics that might be present in the device.

It wouldn't be like you were buying it for just this purpose, you could use it throughout your system with good results.

Wasn't trying to call anyone a liar or upset anyone, but I have read/heard several horror stories about WD40 and electronics and didn't want you to be added to the "group".  I'm sure some have gotten good results with it, but why take a chance with semi rare older equipment?

BTW, I'm 19 years now a Navy Electronics technician, so I have a solid background in this and I'm not speaking "off the cuff".

Chris

Reply #17
Fair 'nuff digitalq (I was a sonar tech btw, reserves '83-'89).

I just can't afford any of this stuff at the moment (outspent my bank acct this month, among other things). 

Maybe I'll just leave it as it is... I have no other equipment that would need contact cleaner (RCA plugs are not a good enough reason), and really don't want to spend $10 or $20 on a can only to use it once and have it sit for years in a cupboard gathering dust.

Reply #18
Careful where you spray that.  Pertroleum products will deteriorate some types of plastics such as polystyrene.  Nylon should be OK.

CRC 2-26 caused some connector housings in my N64 to crack, also the housing on my phono cartridge.
godzilla525

Reply #19
Good point.  I meant to mention that about WD40, it is essentially a light oil in aerosol form and can destroy some plastics.

CaiLube is designed specifically for plastic and plastic containing parts and won't damage them.  Small (5oz. I think) bottles can be had for about 5 or 6 bux.

Chris

Reply #20
Originally posted by digitalq
I wouldn't take a chance with WD40.  There are several products designed specifically for cleaning/lubricating pots and such.

These products are inexpesive in small quantities and will restore and extend the life of the mechanisms.

The major products in use are ProGold DeoxIT and CaiLube.  I found a great reference/guide for when and how to use them here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/caigaud.pdf

A quick web search should turn up places to get them.

Best of luck with your setup.

Chris

For the "budget conscious" amongst us..  going to an electronics store for a $4.99 can of spray contact cleaner should do the job well,  and have the same kind of extension tube as that can of WD-40..

Reply #21
Originally posted by digitalq
Good point.  I meant to mention that about WD40, it is essentially a light oil in aerosol form and can destroy some plastics.

CaiLube is designed specifically for plastic and plastic containing parts and won't damage them.  Small (5oz. I think) bottles can be had for about 5 or 6 bux.

Chris

Yeah, I found a place online that carries it for around 5 bux.  Unfortunately, they want almost $10.00 to ship this little can via UPS ground... ???

Maybe I'll just find an electronics store (thanks JonPike), will check Target & Radio Shack.

Reply #22
I just found a really interesting looking preamp, if anyone's still looking for one:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=613

Specs look good, includes MM and MC cartridge support, and costs $99 bucks!  Wish I had known about this one earlier... Music Hall is famous for low cost, high performing gear.

Reply #23
What about an older NAD or Proton that are still famous for theire phono part?

Great call on the NAD/Proton phono preamp - my NAD 1155 preamp has a killer phono stage for the money.  I got it used locally for $115 CDN in flawless condition.

--jeff