Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.6+: Support for Windows spatial audio enhancement? (Read 827 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6+: Support for Windows spatial audio enhancement?

I seem to recall when foobar was using direct sound that the spatial audio enhancements would work just fine if you played multichannel files, and would just give you plain stereo if you played stereo files, which is good. I like having my stereo not be virtualized, but 5.1 and 7.1 content to be, since I don't have a system. I also have options on Windows 10 now, the likes of DTS Headphone:X and Dolby Atmos. Now I've noticed that when I play some test files, a channel identification test for example, that Windows spatial audio is not being applied, instead in the case of 5.1 center is properly center, both front and back sides are pure sides, and the sub doesn't exist. I should be hearing the area and other virtualization of spatial audio when I have it enabled, but only if using a channel count that would require it. Can this be done?

Re: 1.6+: Support for Windows spatial audio enhancement?

Reply #1
As far as I'm aware, this is a matter of initializing with the correct channel count, Windows spatial audio takes care of the rest if present. There is a spatial audio API, but I'm not totally sure what it does, so please do correct me if I'm wrong. I do believe WASAPI can work with spatial audio.