Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Proposal on listening tests (Read 20918 times) previous topic - next topic

Proposal on listening tests

Reply #50
so, let's try to produce the smallest possible files, that still sound good not to say "transparent".

is this nutty?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234086"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Someone already discussed how to define transparency. I think that is doable. Also transparency tests can use the simple ABX-ing.  "Sound good" is not something you can easily define. It would require more complex so-called ABC/HR test. Even then different people would have different ratings. In addition to the fact that transparency is easier to define and test, most of the people here are after transparency historically because this is a (sane) audiophile forum.

Triza

PS: I also would like to see a transparency test. I am just about to start to conduct one for myself with Ogg Vorbis, which is my chosen lossy format.

Proposal on listening tests

Reply #51
Besides, very few people, even among HA members, have 24 bit soundcards.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234397"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't think so, 24 bit sound card are very common these days.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234404"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I really wouldn't exaggerate this. 24 bit soundcards may indeed be becoming increasingly common on new machines, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them "very common" in general. As long as 24 bit isn't mainstream like 16 bit still is, I see no point in conducting a 24 bit MP3 listening test, which then wouldn't quite serve the general interest that it owes to itself.