Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback  (Read 319997 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback

Reply #25
Did he name the sampling rate convertor?  If so, if in its owner's manual it mentions, say: "Be advised the optional use of rectangular dither [RPDF or "Rectangular Probability Density Function,"] instead of TPDF, may cause audible noise modulation", then he's dead meat.

How about absolute SPL used for the tests? Source songs? Source machine?

C'mon, it's $20 bucks to buy a copy.  If you're going to interrogate it this closely, you should do that.

Reply #26
Fair enough. I probably will later.

Reply #27
It's a convention paper -- so, not even peer reviewed.  (It's also a completely in-house affair -- all three authors work for Meridian).

Oh noes, big fail according to shyster criteria.
Well, if it's completely free of actual blind listening tests, perhaps Stereophile may have some use for it?

Thus, I expect Our Man from  Madrona will reject it forcefully, using at least three if not four different font colors.

Quite so.
I wonder what he thinks about the credentials of the guy who said this?:
Why DVD-A, SACD? Good question. There is no good evidence that they sound different to people over the age of 10 or so.

Can we assume, despite the illogic and all the antics, that he is over the age of 10?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #28
Just got copies of 9174 and 9197. This should be interesting...

Reply #29
Did he give an explanation why rectangular dither was used instead of triangular, considering it is know to introduce noise modulation which triangular is immune from?

Interesting. Meridian used to know better than to use rectangular dither:

From their web site:

https://www.meridian-audio.com/download/Han...ies/518user.pdf  Page 37:

"It is well established that applying TPDF dither... ...contributes no noise modulation."

I think that I predicted here about a month ago that testmanship would be resorted to in this paper. Bingo!

Reply #30
Since i am a noob with such AES papers can someone do a simple summary explaining the main findings or claims?
Werner at pinkfishmedia once did this with paper number 8101 in a way even me grasped.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpos...amp;postcount=9
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #31
^The abstract (summary) at the beginning of the paper should tell you everything you need to know. If some aspect of it is unclear to you, ask.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

Reply #32
^The abstract (summary) at the beginning of the paper should tell you everything you need to know. If some aspect of it is unclear to you, ask.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

I thought we talk about that one meanwhile and for that the summary is very vague.
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17497

Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #33
oops, wrong paper, sorry.
I haven't read the new one yet.

Reply #34
In the "old" paper 0 dBFS is referenced to 120 dB spl when audibility of (dither) noise is calculated. This seems very loud to me, especially with modern loudness-war pop music. Is this spl reference still used in the new paper ? (which I refuse to buy, pretending I'm not an audio forum addict)

Reply #35
In the "old" paper 0 dBFS is referenced to 120 dB spl when audibility of (dither) noise is calculated. This seems very loud to me, especially with modern loudness-war pop music. Is this spl reference still used in the new paper ? (which I refuse to buy, pretending I'm not an audio forum addict)

I'd rather buy a couple CDs off Amazon with the $20 myself, than contribute to this silly nonsense.

I see Bob Stuart is an old topic too.
Wonder if jj knows his old boss finally has that long missing whit of evidence, now being touted on several forums?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #36
It's amusing how *fragile* this perception of difference between hi rez and CD is....it can barely withstand ABX testing.  Here's Stuart's* new iteration of the anti-ABX stace, from the Introduction section of his new Convention paper 

There is a more general problem with listening tests
of this kind, which concerns the testing procedure.
ABX tests are viewed as the "gold standard" for
objective measures of listening. In an ABX test, a
listener is required to listen to two reference sounds,
sound A and sound B, and then to listen to sound
X, and to decide whether sound X is the same as
sound A or sound B. ABX tests have a high sensi-
tivity, that is, the proportion of true-positive results
out of total positive results is high. However, ABX
tests also have low specifi city, meaning that the pro-
portion of true-negative results out of total negative
results can be spuriously low. Translating this into
outcomes in psychophysical tests, the proportion of
the time that a listener scores well on an ABX test
by chance is low, but the proportion of the time that
a listener can score poorly on a test in spite of being
able to discriminate the sounds is high. An ABX
test requires that a listener retains all three sounds
in working memory, and that they perform a min-
imum of two pair-wise comparisons (A with X and
B with X), after which the correct response must be
given; this results in the cognitive load for an ABX
test being high.

The rest of the intro, btw,  is profusely referenced....as you see, this paragraph hasn't got even one. Curious, that.

(*actually Jackson, Capp, and Stuart.  FWIW, first and last authors have 'pride of place' on a scientific paper)

Reply #37
It's amusing how *fragile* this perception of difference between hi rez and CD is....it can barely withstand ABX testing.  Here's Stuart's* new iteration of the anti-ABX stace, from the Introduction section of his new Convention paper

I always wonder why they don't submit their critique of double-blind testing to Journal of Psychology: Human Perception. Imagine the fame that would be achieved by overturning the gold standard of perceptual testing. I'm sure it would cruise through the peer review.

Reply #38
From krabapple's quote of the convention paper:

ABX tests are viewed as the "gold standard" for objective measures of listening.

Well at least they got something right!

the proportion of the time that a listener can score poorly on a test in spite of being able to discriminate the sounds is high.

And we know they "in truth" can discriminate the sounds by taking their word for it? Or by using sighted tests? Really?

An ABX test requires that a listener retains all three sounds in working memory,

False. The way I use the test is to see if the sound I am hearing seems different than the one I heard 1/10th of a second ago when I switched. If you count that as "memory" the grand total is two things, not three. [And that's also assuming what you are currently hearing is counted as "memory"] Invoking the reader to think "three things" is purposefully used here to make the task seem difficult and confusing, as a form of scaremongering by the writers.

and that they perform a min- imum of two pair-wise comparisons (A with X and B with X), after which the correct response must be given; this results in the cognitive load* for an ABX test being high.

Also not necessarily true. You aren't forced to listen to the anchors, A and B, AT ALL if you don't wish to. For each trial you can go straight to listening to X and then immediately cast your vote, since after all, the difference is said to be "night and day" so in such instances why waste your time listening to a sound you know so well? Remember the identity of A and B is known to the listener at all times and only should they WISH to refresh their memory are they required to hit the A and B buttons. I've taken complete tests having never touched them at all.

*More scary words. The only "cognitive load" or burden is to hit a button, whenever you want and however many times you want, and answer one simple question: "Did it make a differenece?" THAT'S the only "burden".

Reply #39
The aspect of memory on testing has been discussed to death, AFAIC, with the outcome of such discussions never seeming to benefit the anti-DBT crowd.

However, why are people who are not even present in the discussion being debated here?

Reply #40
The aspect of memory on testing has been discussed to death, AFAIC, with the outcome of such discussions never seeming to benefit the anti-DBT crowd.

However, why are people who are not even present in the discussion being debated here?

All we have to do is get one or more of the authors of that paper to deign to post here.  I've never been able to get anybody at Meridian to even respond to a email request at all, so the best of luck with that!

I look at the possible good. While they laid a bad rap on ABX apparently they used it and obtained a positive result. The positive result seems to deny the quoted text in the paper, and I'd call that a good thing!

Reply #41

Indeed.  Thanks for noting that . 

I came here to see what HA's take is on Stuart's latest work and most of what I read is about me???  Is the technical topic not interesting enough by itself?
Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #42
Wonder if jj knows his old boss finally has that long missing whit of evidence, now being touted on several forums?

cheers,

AJ

Hey AJ.  How the heck have you been kid?  I see in your signature says you still trying to sell speakers?  I can't think of a worse business than selling audio equipment.  Was hoping by now you would have seen the merits of that.

As to JJ, I honestly don't understand the constant name dropping there.  You don't know him personally, right?  You wouldn't be able to hold a conversation with him for a minute.  Right?  Why keep throwing his name around?  And in this context?  That somehow you know his position in audio better than me?  I don't think so .

But yes, this latest evidence from Stuart is quite strong.  It is the first professional test of this type vs hobby work that Moran and Meyer performed.  And the paper shows it.  It is far more than "whit of evidence."  If you were pushing Meyer and Moran around in forums, I suggest pulling back some or you will have your hat handed to you.  In other words, stop being yourself AJ. 
Amir

Reply #43
I came here to see what HA's take is on Stuart's latest work and most of what I read is about me???  Is the technical topic not interesting enough by itself?

Welcome amir! 

Yes, that was intentionally done. I of course knew you were reading/lurking, so I figured I could (would) eventually flush you out. 
Forgive my methods, despite the effectiveness.

Regarding your recent success with the corrupt/gameable/non-proctored online amateur AVS files and now the Stuart paper, have you enlightened jj with these 2014 revelations, given his 2009 and 2012 positions on the subject?
Why DVD-A, SACD? Good question. There is no good evidence that they sound different to people over the age of 10 or so

I have yet to see a whit of evidence that "high-rez" matters for final presentation to a listener.

Based solely on credentials, I'm leaning towards jj and away from Stuart, who has pecuniary interests in the matter. Do you disagree?

You also said the Stuart paper was "available for free on the Meridian website". Link?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #44
P.S. I typically ignore that troll in that other forum but anyone wishing to use any of this, by all means do so, and no need to reference me. [Also keep in mind he's quite likely reading all of this.]

I was not but I am now .  What you wrote is correct but unnecessary.  Steven (Krab) misunderstood my post.  I didn't say Meyer and Moran test was not peer reviewed.  I said it was not a "scholarly paper" as posted by m.zillch ( you are not him are you?  your alias is similar to his).  I showed that their work was an engineering report as documented every which way in their text and AES web site.  That they themselves and other members refer to it as a journal paper is incorrect.  I am sure you have read the report and know that there is nothing in there other than results of their test.  Journal papers don't look anything like that.  And they are marked as journal paper.

I don't know who did the review of Meyer and Moran.  But I can tell you with confidence that they lacked domain knowledge to as to how to perform these tests properly.  Instead of repeating what I have said over and over again on AVS, seeing Arny here, I will go ahead and post his list of what it takes for a reliable test:  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-the...ml#post24774498

Here are some guidelines to follow:

Ten (10) Requirements For Sensitive and Reliable Listening Tests

(1) Program material must include critical passages that enable audible differences to be most easily heard.

(2) Listeners must be sensitized to a audible differences, so that if an audible difference is generated by the equipment, the listener will notice it and have a useful reaction to it.

(3) Listeners must be trained to listen systematically so that audible problems are heard.

(4) Procedures should be "open" to detecting problems that aren't necessarily technically well-understood or even expected, at this time. A classic problem with measurements and some listening tests is that each one focuses on one or only a few problems, allowing others to escape notice.

(5) We must have confidence that the Unit Under Test (UUT) is representative of the kind of equipment it represents. In other words the UUT must not be broken, it must not be appreciably modified in some secret way, and must not be the wrong make or model, among other things.

(6) A suitable listening environment must be provided. It can't be too dull, too bright, too noisy, too reverberant, or too harsh. The speakers and other components have to be sufficiently free from distortion, the room must be noise-free, etc..

(7) Listeners need to be in a good mood for listening, in good physical condition (no blocked-up ears!), and be well-trained for hearing deficiencies in the reproduced sound.

(8) Sample volume levels need to be matched to each other or else the listeners will perceive differences that are simply due to volume differences.

(9) Non-audible influences need to be controlled so that the listener reaches his conclusions due to "Just listening".

(10) Listeners should control as many of the aspects of the listening test as possible. Self-controlled tests usually facilitate this. Most importantly, they should be able to switch among the alternatives at times of their choosing. The switchover should be as instantaneous and non-disruptive as possible.

Arny had this list on his now defunct ABX web site years before Meyer and Moran performed their test.  He also was an advocate of following the more detailed and complete list of above in the form of ITU Rec. BS-1116.

Clearly then whoever did the review didn't read his work, or worked in this specialized field to not catch the simplest errors as documented in Arny's and BS-1116 and countless other papers.

Still not convinced?  Here is one of the references in the Meyer and Moran engineering report:
[4] D. Blech and M. Yang, “DVD-Audio versus SACD:
Perceptual Discrimination of Digital Coding Formats,”

Here is a reference in that paper:
[3] ITU Radiocommunication Assembly. 1997.
Methods for the subjective assessment of small
impairments in audio systems including
Multichannel Sound Systems. Recommendation
ITU-R BS. 1116-1: 1994-1997.

Did the authors or the reviewers not note the absence of said reference in Meyer and Moran's test?  Or compliance with it?

I could go on but that would cement your case that I am a troll so I will stop here .

P.S.  Please excuse the English errors.  Fixed a few but I am sure there are tons more
Amir

Reply #45
Ooops, some cross posting here.

Hey AJ.  How the heck have you been kid?  I see in your signature says you still trying to sell speakers?  I can't think of a worse business than selling audio equipment.  Was hoping by now you would have seen the merits of that.

Doing fine Amir, thanks for asking. Yep, still selling audio equipment (speakers), like you....for fun. It is not, nor will be, "my business", other than a side (ad)venture.
Few here will know that our rivalry dates back to our days growing up in Kenya. But lets keep things on track with the actual "Hi Rez" discussion.

As to JJ, I honestly don't understand the constant name dropping there. That somehow you know his position in audio better than me?  I don't think so .

Unlike yourself or Stuart, jj appears to be a "credentialed" expert in the field. I've direct quoted him twice above. You feel your ad-hoc revelations...and now Stuarts paper, upends his previous statements?
He is a member here and I'm sure, quite capable of speaking for himself.

But yes, this latest evidence from Stuart is quite strong.  It is the first professional test of this type vs hobby work that Moran and Meyer performed.  And the paper shows it.  It is far more than "whit of evidence."  If you were pushing Meyer and Moran around in forums, I suggest pulling back some or you will have your hat handed to you.  In other words, stop being yourself AJ.

Well, the jury is still out on the Stuart paper, so to speak.
Out of curiosity, what exactly is your position on using blind/controlled tests for audio?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #46
Welcome amir! 

Yes, that was intentionally done. I of course knew you were reading/lurking, so I figured I could (would) eventually flush you out. 
Forgive my methods, despite the effectiveness.

Ah, the clever you! Not! 

Regarding your recent success with the corrupt/gameable/non-proctored online amateur AVS files and now the Stuart paper, have you enlightened jj with these 2014 revelations, given his 2009 and 2012 positions on the subject?
Why DVD-A, SACD? Good question. There is no good evidence that they sound different to people over the age of 10 or so

I have yet to see a whit of evidence that "high-rez" matters for final presentation to a listener.

First, if the test is corrupt, let's see the results of you passing it AJ.  You can use the cheats but however you do it, let's see the output of foobar.  If you cannot pass it, then we have proven a very significant thing: that our abilities to listen differ.  This means listening tests, unless utilizing expert/trained listeners, cannot be representative of everyone's listening ability.  And this is the big failing of Meyer and Moran where they had no process for identifying trained listeners and utilizing them in the test.

And remember, there are two ways to get an A on an exam: cheating and actually knowing the material perfectly .  Just because someone figured out a way to cheat doesn't mean he has shown everybody else got there the same way.

Based solely on credentials, I'm leaning towards jj and away from Stuart, who has pecuniary interests in the matter. Do you disagree?

Well, by that logic I have better credentials than you in this area but you are not going to take that as an argument, are you?  Stuart is one of the luminaries of our industry.  He is an AES fellow and one of the few people who has both knowledge of audio engineering/science, especially signal processing, and psychoacoustics.  That he is a founder of Meridian did not bring down his position in AES and should not do differently here.

As to JJ, he does not have a listening test we can use for this topic.  Stuart has now published one.  And that test is the subject of this thread.  The posts you show from JJ are prior to publication of this test so I am not sure what relevance they have in the specific.  8 testers with small amount of training across 160 trials in Stuart's listening test managed with statistical reliability to tell the difference between 24 bit and 16 and 44.1 Khz and higher sampling rate.  We don't get to throw that out by quoting JJ's comment prior to publication of this test.  If there is bias that caused Stuart to create faulty results, let's demonstrate that instead of implying it and ignoring the data.

You also said the Stuart paper was "available for free on the Meridian website". Link?

I meant the original paper, not this latest test.  The original is here: https://www.meridian-audio.com/ara/coding2.pdf

Amir

Reply #47
First, if the test is corrupt, let's see the results of you passing it AJ.

Bad  logic.

Whatever results anybody else obtains do not necessarily validate or invalidate any particular set of results.  There are many relevant influences that can affect the outcome of a given listening test, and all the many ways that the the basic test can be corrupted is only a tiny subset of them. These tests are for example dependent on the listener's hearing acuity and I have publicly tried to exclude my results on those grounds. I know for sure that my hearing isn't it was 5, 10, 30 years ago. That's natures way of telling... I seem to recall that that frank and painful admission on AVS set me  up for more bullying. I feel like I'm back in grade school!

The above attack suggests bullying to me, and bullying based on false logic is common when people have something to hide.

I understand that the Foobar2000 ABX plug-in has been updated in such a way that it will put evidence about more critical test parameters into the log file, and there is now a facility for validating log files.

By no means does it validate everything that can invalidate a test, but it provides more evidence.

You might want to repeat your more exceptional results using the new plug in. ;-)

Reply #48
First, if the test is corrupt, let's see the results of you passing it AJ.  You can use the cheats but however you do it, let's see the output of foobar.  If you cannot pass it, then we have proven a very significant thing: that our abilities to listen differ.

No, it would only prove that one of us would not stoop low enough to cheat. Nor have a strong pecuniary interest in the matter.
It would also prove that one of us has no clue between an ad-hoc test and one that adheres to ITU-BS1116...or BS.1534-2, that are the bible of testing for small impairments. Let me quote some for you:
"It should be understood that the topics of experimental design, experimental execution, and statistical analysis are complex, and that only the most general guidelines can be given in a Recommendation such as this. It is recommended that professionals with expertise in experimental design and statistics should be consulted or brought in at the beginning of the planning for the listening test."

Would you care to explain how the corrupt/gameable/non-proctored online amateur AVS files "test" adhered to ITU-BS1116...or BS.1534-2?
They did not and thus the results must be dismissed as ad-hoc garbage, per a highly reputable source.

Well, by that logic I have better credentials than you in this area but you are not going to take that as an argument, are you?

Nope and I agree it would be idiotic to dismiss arguments based on "credentials" or appeal to authority. Like dismissing Meyer and Moran's tests due to "credentials".

Stuart is one of the luminaries of our industry.

"Our"? Yours maybe.
My interest is sound reproduction, not high fashion jewelry.

He is an AES fellow and one of the few people who has both knowledge of audio engineering/science, especially signal processing, and psychoacoustics.  That he is a founder of Meridian did not bring down his position in AES and should not do differently here.

Right, which means per you above, jack squat, the only thing that matters is the content of the paper.
Let's hope he didn't resort to pathological science, cherry pick components and adhered to BS.1534-2.....

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #49
Such as non-representative pathological samples?

...or use rectangular dither, knowing that it could have a stronger influence over the outcome?