Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question -h option (Read 9130 times) previous topic - next topic

Question -h option

Hi,all

I used a "-h" option from WAV and encoded it. A CRC error occurs if i do
verify of WV which made. But, as for the file which I encoded in "normal" from
same WAV, a CRC error does not occur. A check of MD5 tried it with possible
FLAC 1.2.1, but there was not a problem.

Same phenomenon is caused with both 4.41.0 and 4.50.0, but may cause a
problem by a tool outputting WAV from CD-DA?

*result of verify(foobar2000 v0.9.4.5+foo_verifier.dll)
Item: "D:\h_option.wv"
Error: CRC mismatch
Error: MD5 mismatch

Item: "D:\non_option.wv"
No problems found.

Item: "D:\preset_5.flac"
No problems found.

1 item could not be decoded.

List of undecodable items:
"D:\h_option.wv"

Question -h option

Reply #1
I used a "-h" option from WAV and encoded it. A CRC error occurs if i do
verify of WV which made. But, as for the file which I encoded in "normal" from
same WAV, a CRC error does not occur.

This sounds like you may possibly have a memory chip or CPU problem with the particular PC you are using. If both fast and normal compress ok (no errors when verifying) it sounds like the extra resources required to compress using -h is causing enough stress on your PC to result in these errors.
On one of my PCs I can compress using -h fine, but a more stressful compression like
wavpack -hb256x4cmy file.wav
causes a failure.

Best thing I can suggest is try to find a PC memory check utility and run it overnight and see if it shows any errors, then try a CPU checker if the memory test gives no errors.

Question -h option

Reply #2
None of the options should give you an error, stressful or not. If one does, your hardware is probably broken and you must replace the part.

The tricky thing is to determine which component is broken. Data corruption is caused by bad RAM or chipset bugs most of the time. You can test your RAM with Memtest86+, let it run overnight. If the RAM is OK then it's probably your CPU+motherboard. Another possibility is harddisk with not yet relocated bad sectors. Have a look at the SMART value and do a sector scan with HDTune.

Question -h option

Reply #3
Thank you for a reply.

The memory and the HDD were all right.
I deleted long silence of the beginning and end of the file with a tool about WAV
which there was of the problem with a "-h" option. When I used the "-h" option with
the WAV file and encoded it, the CRC error did not occur.

When there was the case that long silence in a beginning or the end caused
a CRC error, I felt it.

Question -h option

Reply #4
Have you tried extracting this troublesome section of the WAV file and just compressing it i.e. create a new WAV file just containing the silent start part of the main WAV file?
If you are able to produce a short sample WAV file that causes a problem on your PC, then you could compress it with WavPack normal and upload it somewhere where others can try the file (we'd extract, get the WAV file and try compressing with -h on our PCs).

Question -h option

Reply #5
Have you tried extracting this troublesome section of the WAV file and just compressing it i.e. create a new WAV file just containing the silent start part of the main WAV file?
If you are able to produce a short sample WAV file that causes a problem on your PC, then you could compress it with WavPack normal and upload it somewhere where others can try the file (we'd extract, get the WAV file and try compressing with -h on our PCs).

I made a sample WAV file of two patterns of about 40 seconds.
sample1.wav:included long silence
sample2.wav:Long silence deletion
sample download

*sample file verify result(foobar2000 v0.9.4.5+foo_verifier.dll)
Item: "D:sample1_pre5.flac"
No problems found.

Item: "D:\sample2_pre5.flac"
No problems found.

Item: "D:\sample1_h_op.wv"
Error: MD5 mismatch

Item: "D:\sample1_non_op.wv"
No problems found.

Item: "D:\sample2_h_op.wv"
No problems found.

Item: "D:\sample2_non_op.wv"
No problems found.

1 item could not be decoded.

List of undecodable items:
"D:\sample1_h_op.wv"

Question -h option

Reply #6
Both files compress (and verify) fine on my PC using both -h and -hh options. I'm using WavPack 4.41 to test with.
Unfortunately this would tend to suggest some sort of problem with your PC as if it were a general problem with WavPack (with these files) you would expect me to have CRC errors also.
Do you overclock your PC? What O.S. are you running?

Question -h option

Reply #7
Both files compress (and verify) fine on my PC using both -h and -hh options. I'm using WavPack 4.41 to test with.
Unfortunately this would tend to suggest some sort of problem with your PC as if it were a general problem with WavPack (with these files) you would expect me to have CRC errors also.
Do you overclock your PC? What O.S. are you running?

I do not make overclock.
carried it out with athlonXP 1800+ and Celeron 1Ghz of my PC. OS is
Windows2000 SP4(Japanease). CRC error occurred. There may be the
cause by the environmental dependence of this side.

I think that use WavPack "normal mode" or FLAC depending on a case.
(Because this does not have any problem.)