Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: h264 reference encoder with AviSynth input! (Read 32718 times) previous topic - next topic

h264 reference encoder with AviSynth input!

Reply #25
i was pretty skeptical when i first downloaded it, but was pretty impressed as it put out better results than i ever got with XVID/Divx5 (or what little i knew of those technologies)

Well, according to On2 tech, their 2-pass encoding is a bit broken at the moment, and they are gonna release an update. I'll test it when they have fixed their 2-pass mode.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #26
Lol, I expect future vp6 releases to be better than the first release.  Their whole vfw is completely b0rked, not only the 2-pass but also keyframe intervals and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something weird going on with vbr in general since quality mode doesn't seem to work well either.  Anyway, back to h.264, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the reference encoder gives pretty nice quality.  Generally, it is the case that mpeg reference encoders will output reasonably good quality with little to no regard for speed.  Which makes sense, I mean you want to see what the codec is really capable of right?  Speed can come later.  Good to see that milan got h.264 working in ffdshow  if only I could build the thing .  /me runs off to bug athos for new ffdshow compile

Reply #27
Anyway, back to h.264, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the reference encoder gives pretty nice quality.  Generally, it is the case that mpeg reference encoders will output reasonably good quality with little to no regard for speed.  Which makes sense, I mean you want to see what the codec is really capable of right?  Speed can come later. 

Well, actually I think this is not actually the MPEG h264 "reference encoder", this is reference as "ISO reference source".
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #28
What is that cabac feature about which somebody asked earlier?

Reply #29
CABAC is an arithmetic coding scheme used in the main profile. CAVLC is a VLC coding scheme used in the baseline profile.

Reply #30
CABAC is an arithmetic coding scheme used in the main profile. CAVLC is a VLC coding scheme used in the baseline profile.

Are there any easy to understand descriptions of these methods available in the Internet? And what are the other new inventions in h.264 and are there any good general information sites about h.264? Don't bother to point me to some technical oriented reference documents because I don't understand them. 

Reply #32
I still don't get what's the reason behind the 2 profiles, it just makes everything  more complex. Baseline profile is completely unnecessary, since they decided it wont be free (as they originally intended).

Reply #33
Thanks for those links.

JohnV, when are you going to upload those samples you promised? I'd like to see some real quality of this thing instead of watching those video clips using mplayer.

Reply #34
one more vote for seeing some screenshots that would increase folks' interest in this...

also,if inloop processing is disabled (in decoder and encoder) does this mean they both run lot faster,or this inloop thing si really what differentiates "normal" mpeg's from h264..(let me tell ya,i hate blur...  )

would milan be able to include this (encoder)  into ffvfw if he already put decoding support  into ffdshow?
how about YUY2 support for capturing people...?

lot of wishes anyhow..heh...

vp6?
very poor stuff....
[ http://i4004.0catch.com/ffvfw-mpeg1-vp6.htm ]
use rv9 instead....

Reply #35

It might work if you have a 50 GHz processor.

Reply #36

What is YUY2 ? 

Reply #37

What is YUY2 ? 

It's a colour format like RGB, CMYK and YV12.

Reply #38

It might work if you have a 50 GHz processor.

latex,you misunderstood;i didn't ment h264 as a capturing codec (i'll never use YV12 "lossless" capture codec's,let alone the end codec's such as mpeg's) but YUY2 support in an encoder (so encoder accepts YUY2 avi's....at the start of this tthread it says it's YV12 only....and that's cheap and dvd-ripish...  )

i imagine this shouldn't be hard thing to do;avs already has working  "->yv12" convertors etc.
(although that also means that one can feed the encoder with avs script which has "converttoyv12" at the end..heh)

Reply #39
latex,you misunderstood;i didn't ment h264 as a capturing codec (i'll never use YV12 "lossless" capture codec's,let alone the end codec's such as mpeg's) but YUY2 support in an encoder (so encoder accepts YUY2 avi's....at the start of this tthread it says it's YV12 only....and that's cheap and dvd-ripish...   )

h.264 only supports 4:2:0, which for its intended applications makes perfect sense.

Reply #40

latex,you misunderstood;i didn't ment h264 as a capturing codec (i'll never use YV12 "lossless" capture codec's,let alone the end codec's such as mpeg's) but YUY2 support in an encoder (so encoder accepts YUY2 avi's....at the start of this tthread it says it's YV12 only....and that's cheap and dvd-ripish...   )

h.264 only supports 4:2:0, which for its intended applications makes perfect sense.

What do you mean by 4:2:0, the aspect ratio?

Reply #41

Sampling.

Reply #42
idioteque,i know mpeg's use 4:2:0 (all of them),but one can feed RGB or YUY2 to almost any mpeg1,2,4 encoder....

i hope it's clear now....intended application of a codec is a video,and not YV12 only sources....

nevermind this;as i said avs can convert to yv12 so it's not a big problem....

Reply #43

Color subsampling

4:4:4 => horz. 1:1, vertical: 1:1 (8 bit per component end up with 24 bit per pixel)
4:2:2 => horz. 1:2, vertical: 1:1 (8 bit per component end up with 16 bit per pixel)
4:1:1 => horz. 1:4, vertical: 1:1 (8 bit per component end up with 12 bit per pixel)
4:2:0 => horz. 1:2, vertical: 1:2 (8 bit per component end up with 12 bit per pixel)
4:1:0 => horz. 1:4, vertical: 1:2 (8 bit per component end up with 10 bit per pixel)
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

Reply #44
Sorry to bring this thread out of death, but somedy is looking for the sources of this program to integrate it with jm90 at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84305 . If anybody happens to have a copy of the sources anymore, it would be nice to help him/her.

Reply #45
Dcoder used to send me these binaries to be hosted at RareWares. Maybe he still has the sources.

Reply #46
Oh, damnit. I don't have much availability to do that now. Anyway, when i can (maybe next weekend), i'll put jm90 binary + sources online, for those who want it.

EDIT: Hmm, i see the guy already has sources...oh well.