Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with connecting a CD drive (Read 3256 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with connecting a CD drive

Got a Plextor today, but didn't realize my PC doesn't actually have an IDE port suitable for connecting the drive. Probably something I should've checked...it's one of those mini computers you see in businesses; NLX form factor I think...shitpiece xD The current drive I'm using is a small DVD-ROM that connects to the motherboard by way of an adapter card.

Anyway, I'm a horrible fiend when it comes to secure audio ripping and following strict requirements, so I'm wondering if getting an IDE to USB adapter will affect drive performance in any way at all? Is there any particular issue with using an adapter of the sort I just mentioned, or is a direct IDE connection always preferable?

Reply #1
I have a Plextor Premium setup in an external enclosure.  Internally, you connect the IDE interface to the drive and externally you connect it to whatever you'd like using a USB cable.  I've used it extensively with both EAC and dbPowerAmp successfully.  The drive operates as it does when connected directly to a PC with an IDE interface.

I purchased the enclosure from NewEgg.

I moved to this setup because the drive was sitting in a machine that I wasn't really using any more and it seemed like a waste.  It's more convenient to use my laptop at this point.  It's worked out greatly for me.

Reply #2
I have a Plextor Premium setup in an external enclosure.  Internally, you connect the IDE interface to the drive and externally you connect it to whatever you'd like using a USB cable.  I've used it extensively with both EAC and dbPowerAmp successfully.  The drive operates as it does when connected directly to a PC with an IDE interface.

I purchased the enclosure from NewEgg.

I moved to this setup because the drive was sitting in a machine that I wasn't really using any more and it seemed like a waste.  It's more convenient to use my laptop at this point.  It's worked out greatly for me.

Excellent; this sounds like a perfectly viable avenue to take then =) Would you recommend something like this? It's what I'm currently looking at.

Reply #3
...Is there any particular issue with using an adapter of the sort I just mentioned, or is a direct IDE connection always preferable?

I use an USB cd/dvd drive and have no problems. When it comes to precise ripping it is very important to use AccurateRip, because you will be able to get a perfect rip (and know it) at high speed, without destroying your CD/DVD drive.

Reply #4
Got a Plextor today, but didn't realize my PC doesn't actually have an IDE port suitable for connecting the drive. Probably something I should've checked...it's one of those mini computers you see in businesses; NLX form factor I think...shitpiece xD The current drive I'm using is a small DVD-ROM that connects to the motherboard by way of an adapter card.

Anyway, I'm a horrible fiend when it comes to secure audio ripping and following strict requirements, so I'm wondering if getting an IDE to USB adapter will affect drive performance in any way at all? Is there any particular issue with using an adapter of the sort I just mentioned, or is a direct IDE connection always preferable?

If there's a port for an IDE  hard drive, the same port can generally be used to also hook up a IDE CDROM.  You need an IDE cable with two drive connectors, and appropriate jumpering of the drives.

Reply #5
Does your PC have any SATA connectors onboard?

Reply #6
Does your PC have any SATA connectors onboard?

Good point - SATA optical drives are readily available, and with negligable if any price difference from IDE.

IME Blu-Ray drives are only available as SATA devices.

Reply #7
Converters between IDE and SATA interfaces also exist.
And if there is room for a PCI card, then there are IDE/SATA controllers available.

But first attempt would be to replace the single IDE cable with one with a master/slave, at least after having checked BIOS.