Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Spectrogram component customization (Read 5488 times) previous topic - next topic

Spectrogram component customization

Hello

I love the spectrogram component that comes with foobar2000, it's interesting to be able to quickly and easily see a spectrogram of your currently playing music without having to start up an audio editor to access a spectrogram function. The customization options are great too, i just wonder if it's possible to add some more functions. Mainly what i miss is the ability to isolate the spectrogram to only show a specified range of frequencies, rulers, and a more unusual function I'd love to see would be the ability to rotate the spectrogram so that the Y-axis is the time and the X-axis is the frequency. It this something that could be done easily to the component (with the help of some coders, I'm clueless about those things) or does anyone know of any 3rd party component which has some of those functions?

Best regards!

Reply #1
I don't know of a foobar visualization component that does what you want, but you may want to try Spectrum Lab: http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html
It's free and actively developed, and it has features that you want while capturing live output from audio program + tons of others that you may never need

Reply #2
I use VST adapter add-on and the "Blue Cat's" freq analyst free VST plug-in.

Reply #3
While there are many ways for spectral analyses, using foobar' DSP component may not be greatest choice as AFAIK it won't give you live action: display goes ahead of audio by the size of the output buffer

OTOH foobar' visualization components does not suffer from it

Reply #4

Are there any native visualisation components to be found? I've tried using VST plugins, but they don't quite 'mesh', I can't get the BlueCat plug-in to run in a panel for example .  Shpeck is great, a little too great, perhaps, it can be very bright and overbearing, and I've never found any slower pastel schemes for it.

Reply #5
I think the spectrogram is great also. I haven't been able to find another audio visualisation software that does as good a job as Foobar2000 in this case.
I don't think it'd be that difficult to incorporate those extra functions but I think the software is closed source.
I would really love to see the spectro triggered as a screen saver.
Spectrum lab is pretty good but  I couldn't find a full screen option.

Reply #6
I'd just like to see the frequency range expanded from 50Hz down to 20Hz.  The rest would be gravy!

EDIT:  Sorry, I'm thinking about the spectrum analyser not spectrogram.