Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QuickTime FLAC component? (Read 113730 times) previous topic - next topic

QuickTime FLAC component?

Reply #50
Here's an update on a temporary (and quickly hacked together) web page : http://damien.drix.free.fr/qtflac/

It fixes a bug with Toast and a bug with the metadata, among with other minor bugfixes and changes.

Next step is progressive importing using threads and the importer component.

Thanks for your support
Damien

Reply #51
Sence OGG can be imported to iTunes, could your plugin be made to work with FLAC inside a OGG container?

-Jeremy

Reply #52
All it should require is to implement the plugin architecture used by the Ogg Plugin, which looks pretty straightforward. I'll give it a try... but I've got intermittant access to a computer since the term started (I've moved to my own flat and of course the iMac stayed home). The money for the PowerBook should arrive within a week, so the PowerBook itself should be there within a couple of weeks

Damien

Reply #53
Hi!

Is there any progress in the windows-version of the qt-flac plugin for use with iTunes?

Would be fantastic to be able to play flac's in iTunes

Thanks

/Niklas

Reply #54
Damien,

Any updates?

Reply #55
Everyone who sees this thread, please reply from time to time, to make sure it is not forgotten

Reply #56
now that FLAC 1.1.2 is out, the focus for 1.1.3 is apple, i.e. quicktime plugin, ppc optimizations, arm optimizations (for ipod).

I am still getting set up to work on the qt plugin.

Josh

Reply #57
That's great news. Damien Drix and Chuck Remes seem to be the only other people working on a QT component, but there has been no activity on either's page since last autumn.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #58
That's great news. Damien Drix and Chuck Remes seem to be the only other people working on a QT component, but there has been no activity on either's page since last autumn.
I think the folks here deserve an update on what I am (or am not) doing.

There hasn't been an update to my page because the last 9 months have taken me away from all of my hobby programming. I've got some time again to do things, however there are a few priorities in the queue ahead of a QT FLAC component. I primarily write IOKit drivers for the OpenDarwin project. My priorities there trump the QuickTime stuff.

Also, as far as QT is concerned, I'm really just interested in CoreAudio. Ever since Apple abandoned the INSIDE MACINTOSH style of documentation, I'd rate the majority of the new stuff as pretty lousy. Their documentation people appear to be mostly dumping header files into PDF format and adding a table of contents and glossary. My aim is to document the somewhat mysterious methods necessary to create a CODEC which is (even from the INSIDE MACINTOSH days) a relatively poorly documented procedure.

Also, there isn't a version of QT shipping right now that uses CA CODECs, so even if I did create a FLAC plugin using CA there isn't much of anything that would use it today. It's possible that QT 7 will use CA instead of the old SoundManager interface. I don't know if this will mean that Carbon-based applications (like iTunes) will be able to use that interface. The Apple documentation is silent on this point.

Anyway, long story short... I think Drix is much further along in creating something that is useful for the community. I do intend to get around to it myself (or if the FLAC challenge has been satisfied, I'll choose another CODEC), but that is months away. Sorry to disappoint!

cr

Reply #59
Thanks for the update. I did not mean to imply that the community was waiting on you or anything; I merely wanted to point people to progress that had already been made.

I noticed that the link to the source code on your blog does not work anymore. Would you consider posting the source again, or would it be redundant with the work of ddrix?
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #60
Thanks for the update. I did not mean to imply that the community was waiting on you or anything; I merely wanted to point people to progress that had already been made.

I noticed that the link to the source code on your blog does not work anymore. Would you consider posting the source again, or would it be redundant with the work of ddrix?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is a link to the Mac Quicktime plugin for playing back FLAC files that you might be interested in:

[a href="http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16803]http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16803[/url]

Hope this helps.

Reply #61
Here is a link to the Mac Quicktime plugin for playing back FLAC files that you might be interested in:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16803

Hope this helps.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=272357"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the binary from ddrix's work. I know cremes has worked separately on a QT component and was wondering if his source code would add anything.
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #62

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16803

Hope this helps.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=272357"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the binary from ddrix's work. I know cremes has worked separately on a QT component and was wondering if his source code would add anything.
Alas, my work ceased at a far earlier stage than ddrix's. His component actually works whereas mine did not (at all). I don't think there is much to learn from what I had scraped together.

cr

Reply #63
progress update... I have a recent os x setup now and ddrix's code, still trying to get it to compile with the latest xcode.  hopefully qt7 is not going to obsolete all this work.

Josh

Reply #64
I would like to know what the progress of this project is. I would be happy to test any code on my iBook. I want this project to succeed very much, since iTunes is seen as the last word in audio players for OS X.
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #65
I would like to know what the progress of this project is. I would be happy to test any code on my iBook. I want this project to succeed very much, since iTunes is seen as the last word in audio players for OS X.

if you go through this whole thread you'll see ddrix's links to a binary component (which should work) and source.  I have the source but cannot get it to compile.  it doesn't look like it matches the binary.  still working on it.

Josh

Reply #66
Hmm, it seems everybody forgot about this project.

Reply #67
What is the current status of the development of a Quicktime-plugin that supports FLAC?

Reply #68
I was chewed up and spit out.  I don't think the vorbis component works anymore with QT7 either.

hopefully QT is in transition now and this is not the steady state (i.e. QT docs lacking, confounding API), and that somehow CoreAudio will eventually make it easier, or even possible, to add support for other formats to itunes/QT.

Josh

Reply #69
Just discovered that someone is working on a QuickTime component that will support FLAC. It currently only supports OggVorbis and Speex, but FLAC support is coming according to the author.

I haven't dug through all the code yet, but the programmer is taking advantage of CoreAudio and some of the newer OSX sound technologies. It's making decent progress already.

Check it out.

cr

Reply #70
Is this project dead?

Reply #72
+1 For FLAC support in iTunes !
ready to help for compile and test only.

Reply #73
+100

Reply #74
Can anyone confirm/deny the existence of an Apple shipped FLAC codec in OS X Leopard?