Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.1.2-->.1.1.3 re-encoding with f2k 0.8.3 (diskwriter) (Read 4851 times) previous topic - next topic

1.1.2-->.1.1.3 re-encoding with f2k 0.8.3 (diskwriter)

Title says most of it .  I have an old version of foobar2000 and want to use it to further compress my old FLAC files using FLAC 1.1.3  .  F2k 0.8.3 uses diskwriter, not converter, and insists on using libFLAC1.1.2 for its flac encoder presets, regardless of the fact that I have only flac.exe 1.1.3 installed.  Anyway I've got the reencoding mostly figured out -- I created a new commandline encoder preset in foobar, pointed it at my flac.exe, and used these switches in the foobar 'parameters' window

- -8 -V -f -o %d

which creates a new flac file with all the old tags. However , -f doesn't seem to delete the input (old) flac file .

I also notice a weird thing,if I replace "-" (stdin as per flac documentation) with "%s" (temporary input file as per foobar)  I get diffrent size output files.  The one that involves a temporary input file (%s), a .wav.tmp file
that appears in the destination folder briefly and the deletes itself,  results in a smaller file than "-" as input.
e.g.

original flac file (v1.1.0):  20,121 KB 

foobar8.3/flac 1.1.3 w "-" as input: 19,753

foobar8.3/flac 1.1.3 w "%s" as input: 19,676

Can anyone explain how to force deletion of the input file in the old version of foobar, and also why Im getting two different filesizes from the same original file?

Reply #2
0.8.3 doesn't need %s. Check "Encoder requires accurate length."

Reply #3
I believe that it is recommended to use the %s syntax, as the STDIN syntax file is larger due to a huge number of seek points being created.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=41287

Thanks.  From reading the thread that looks to be a problem with Converter  (foobar 0.9) , not sure if it's an issue with Diskwriter (foobar 0.8) or not.

0.8.3 doesn't need %s. Check "Encoder requires accurate length."

Thanks.  I'll try that too.

Btw, as to deleting input files, I should have mentioned before that I tried

- -8 -V -f -o %d --delete-input-file

to no avail ; the old .flac file was still there after the new one was created.
Does it matter where in the command line it goes?

Reply #4
Just in case anyone's following this, my solution was to forego foobar for this particular purpose, and use a batch script instead -- see

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=462402

Create the batch file with Notebook or some other text editor, save as  somename.bat  (make sure it's not saved as a text or .txt file) , then drag and drop directories with flac files
onto the batch file icon.  It will re-encode and overwrite the old flac files (for no overwrite, remove the --force switch)