Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME Appreciation Month (Read 50701 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #25
However, it seems the only way you can activate your account is by giving your credit card information.. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318742"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, they only wanted my address, phone number, email address and bank account informations.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #26
However, it seems the only way you can activate your account is by giving your credit card information.. 

No, they only wanted my address, phone number, email address and bank account informations.

This is correct - you can either give your credit card or allow them to debit your bank account directly as a method of payment. They prefer the latter, probably because the transfer fees are lower than credit card processing fees.

But, bug80, you have to have *some* way to get money to them. I don't think they take checks.

And thanks again to spoon for doing this!

Mark

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #27
Sent off my donation just now. It's just $10CDN, but better than nothing.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #28
This is correct - you can either give your credit card or allow them to debit your bank account directly as a method of payment. They prefer the latter, probably because the transfer fees are lower than credit card processing fees.

But, bug80, you have to have *some* way to get money to them. I don't think they take checks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318807"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Debit directly from the bank only works with some bankpasses, unfortunately not mine. However, it seems that I can transfer money from my bank to my paypal account manually, which I did yesterday (it will take some days to process). It looks like I can make payments after that using that money.

edit: It worked!

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #29
Great idea spoon!

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #31
Donated! 

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #32
of course, the active developers of Lame should get the main part of the donation, though I see also reasons, that old developers have had big merits to Lame, too. I think of Gabriel (Garf), Dibrom, of course.

My suggestion is, that the 4 active developers get ca. 70-80%, the rest is divided amongst some older inactive developers.

edit:
Sorry, I wrote Garf at 1st time, but meant obviously Gabriel, who is lame dev.)

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #33
Looks like it's worth spending some time coding a "free" codec ...

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #34
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320035"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Some time", right... 

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #35
Let me know when it's Musepack appreciation month..

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #36
Let me know when it's Musepack appreciation month..
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We already had it, didn't we?
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=18728&st=0]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....11&t=18728&st=0[/url]

Personally, I think we also need an Ogg Vorbis appreciation month. 

I just made my donation for LAME, BTW...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #37
of course, the active developers of Lame should get the main part of the donation, though I see also reasons, that old developers have had big merits to Lame, too. I think of Garf, Dibrom, of course.

My suggestion is, that the 4 active developers get ca. 70-80%, the rest is divided amongst some older inactive developers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did Garf ever work on Lame?

I think adding more people to the receiving group would be a mess, simply because there are too many. Shibata for nssafejoint and nspsytune, Taylor for gpsycho, Faber for lame_enc.dll, Klemm for psychoacoustic tunings, Bergh for --r3mix, Morrison for --alt-presets, Cheng for starting it all, and several others.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #38
of course, the active developers of Lame should get the main part of the donation, though I see also reasons, that old developers have had big merits to Lame, too. I think of Garf, Dibrom, of course.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Garf didn't work on LAME.

And FWIW, I'm not interested in any of the donations, but thanks for the thought I guess.  I didn't make significant enough changes to where I feel I deserve anything, and I'm not a part of LAME anyway.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #39

"Some time", right...  :yeahright:
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320045"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, i dunno how many man-hours were spent on LAME by its current devs. Let's just take the number 10.000 (i'd asume 20.000 is more probable, but whatever).

2000€ / 10.000 = 0,20€ per hour.

Yeah, thats really "worth it"! They'll get rich in no time!
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #40

"Some time", right... 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320045"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, i dunno how many man-hours were spent on LAME by its current devs. Let's just take the number 10.000 (i'd asume 20.000 is more probable, but whatever).

2000€ / 10.000 = 0,20€ per hour.

Yeah, thats really "worth it"! They'll get rich in no time!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320127"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please don't feed the troll

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #41
Personally, I think we also need an Ogg Vorbis appreciation month. wink.gif

That's an organization that really could use a few donations to get things moving ;-D. They even have a bunch of bounties out were you could make a few bucks if you have the technical knowledge to implement a few things    Why not take the money and divy it up evenly to everyone who works on a projection here at HA? maybe the HA fund.  I really don't see the whole point of this otherwise even if it was for the greater good of mankind. 
budding I.T professional

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #42
Considering how many files I've encoded with LAME the least I could do is show my appreciation by giving back a bit

It's not said enough but you guys really do rock
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #43
Awesome idea! A very worthy fund indeed.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318588"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed. I think that lame is getting better and better and just the use that I made of it (and many other people) would justify that.

While I am monetarily not exactly in a position to contribute, I am already contributing with code and janitorial tasks. I hope that these QA tasks actually help the project (and its users).

And, regarding the amount of people that has worked and/or contributed to LAME, the list of names is really big...

Oh, and regarding time writing code and testing releases, that's quite a lot of time. I know that just because I've been working on a small tiny bit of places in LAME, there are a number of things that could be improved (and I'm still going on with the Debian packaging to get it in shape).

Well, that's it. Oh, I wouldn't mind some memory for my PowerMac 9500, where I do some of the work, though, if anybody has memory for it that would be wasted/thrown away otherwise. :-(

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #44
€ 10,00 -> db(at)dbpoweramp(dot)com 
Do not taunt audiophiles; they may bite.

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #45
I really hope that someday the LAME devs can talk to Frank Klemm and try to implement MPC's psychoachoustic model into LAME. That way we can have maximum compatibility and maximum quality .

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #46
Personally, I think we also need an Ogg Vorbis appreciation month. wink.gif

That's an organization that really could use a few donations to get things moving ;-D. They even have a bunch of bounties out were you could make a few bucks if you have the technical knowledge to implement a few things    Why not take the money and divy it up evenly to everyone who works on a projection here at HA? maybe the HA fund.  I really don't see the whole point of this otherwise even if it was for the greater good of mankind. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320139"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... well. AFAIK the current donations are not even enough to cover the cost of HA itself so I doubt there would be that much interest...

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #47
I really hope that someday the LAME devs can talk to Frank Klemm and try to implement MPC's psychoachoustic model into LAME. That way we can have maximum compatibility and maximum quality .
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320997"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Better for Vorbis, MP3 still hold a copyright by Fhg/Thompson multimedia. They did all they can to stop a "free" codec like Vorbis.

Still my NEX-IA MP3 player have no Vorbis support, feel like cheated! I'm Hong Kong citizen and they're Hong Kong Manufacturer!
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #48
This kind of request are totally off-topic. And before it get split, my grain of salt:

I can't believe that people are still using this kind of argument. People have discussed several years ago about MPC psy-model superiority on non-technical basis: when mppenc was closed source. In other words on supposition and never on facts. To explain MPC superiority people invoked that super-secret psy-model and a lot of peopled dreamed about project based on this model (LAME, faac, Vorbis). If only this psy-model could be open and plugged to other format.... could we often read.

Now that source are available for more than one year (three if you count SV8 encoder), what happened? Nothing... If MPC psy-model was so amazing compared to other ones, don't you think that talented people (I mean those used to work on perceptual encoding for years, like Aoyumi, Gabriel, Ivan, Robert, Takehiro...) hadn't already took the opportunity to implement it on their work?
By the way, is this psy-model really superior? I never see someone making a comparison based on fact (not on rumor, remember). But if you want an illustration of what the superiority of MPC psy-model can do:
http://guruboolez.free.fr/MPC/mpc_gain_problem.htm
(see this tread for more information).

By the way, there are other ways than copying of MPC to improve Vorbis or LAME. See my 2005 listening test and compare it to my 2004 test. On that basis I'd rather say that Vorbis should keep its current psymodel and that other format could take a look on it. Of course things are not so easy and you can't probably implant into a specific format a foreign model without breaking several tunings.

End of off-topic, and see you in a split thread called "off-topic: about MPC psy-model"

LAME Appreciation Month

Reply #49
Now that source are available for more than one year (three if you count SV8 encoder), what happened? Nothing... If MPC psy-model was so amazing compared to other ones, don't you think that talented people (I mean those used to work on perceptual encoding for years, like Aoyumi, Gabriel, Ivan, Robert, Takehiro...) hadn't already took the opportunity to implement it on their work?

No, not really.

Whether or not the LAME devs or devs for other projects have borrowed ideas from MPC, is not much of an indication about whether or not the MPC psymodel is good.

There are a lot of reasons why you might not have seen stuff taken from the MPC psymodel and added to LAME.  For example:

1.  Developers aren't interested in figuring out the source code for another encoder.
2.  Developers don't think there is enough of a difference to justify the work required to do so.  Remember, LAME is driven more by the viewpoints of the developers than it is by the viewpoints of the users (this is the way most OS projects work), so for this kind of work to be done, it has to be the developers that think it is worthwhile.
3.  Maybe nobody is available to do the work.
4.  Implementing the psymodel might require a very radical change in the encoder design.  This is especially true in the case of LAME, since the code base is very non-modular.  To make things worse, the MPC psymodel is not as modular as it could be either.

I'd say it's probably a good bet that the Vorbis psymodel is superior to LAME's, but you don't see the LAME guys using it, do you?

By the way, is this psy-model really superior? I never see someone making a comparison based on fact (not on rumor, remember). But if you want an illustration of what the superiority of MPC psy-model can do:
http://guruboolez.free.fr/MPC/mpc_gain_problem.htm
(see this tread for more information).[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321942"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I disagree with your assesment of that particular problem, but we've been over that before