Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain makes tracks too quiet (Read 7196 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain makes tracks too quiet

Hi,

I applied ReplayGain to my entire music library, on a per album basis, but everything is too quiet now. My system volume and player volume are both maxed, and I'm preamping my files +10db. I could turn up my external speaker's volume, but then everything else (games, window events, etc) is too loud. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem and has any suggestions for me. "Stop using ReplayGain" would defeat the purpose of this post, so please don't say that.

Reply #1
Post ReplayGain & Peak values of one quiet file.

Reply #2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349787"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah might be a corrupted file, which causes mammoth peak values. Get around it by setting foobar to not use peak values to further drop the volume.

Reply #3

Yeah might be a corrupted file, which causes mammoth peak values. Get around it by setting foobar to not use peak values to further drop the volume.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

..Then don't forget to use Advanced Limiter at the end of your DSP chain.

Reply #4

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That would only cause a single album to be quiet, if he did the analysis per-album, like he said.

Reply #5
Right you are, kjoonlee. It's all my albums, not just one.

Reply #7
Hi,

I applied ReplayGain to my entire music library, on a per album basis, but everything is too quiet now. My system volume and player volume are both maxed, and I'm preamping my files +10db.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349783"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're using clipping protection or limiters, preamp would defeat the purpose of Replay Gain. It would be better to lower the volume of other programs.

Reply #8
I had set +6.0dB in preferences->Playback->Preamp->Files with RG info and the volume is good for me.

Check it!

edit: You preamp it already? I don't know what to say.
Fear my anger. fear my power.
I'm Dark Angel undercover.

Reply #9
Hi,

I applied ReplayGain to my entire music library, on a per album basis, but everything is too quiet now. My system volume and player volume are both maxed, and I'm preamping my files +10db.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349783"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're using clipping protection or limiters, preamp would defeat the purpose of Replay Gain. It would be better to lower the volume of other programs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Advanced Limiter is safe - it will not affect your audio unless it would indeed clip so apart from that - yes.

Reply #10
Turn up the gain in options.  The default is fairly quiet to ensure theres no clipping.  You don't have to leave it that way.

Though its odd that the default drop would be a huge deal.  I can easily crank the volume ear splittingly loud even on my crappy onboard sound card using replaygain.

Reply #11
Hi,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Advanced Limiter is safe - it will not affect your audio unless it would indeed clip so apart from that - yes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349922"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what's the effective diff between Advanced Limiter and Soft Clipping Limiter?

Reply #12
Personally, I lower the volume of any games, and switch off system sounds.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349828"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here - almost *anything* - except of movies and non-overcompressed music - is too loud. Funny thing is - while others increase the preamp, i lower it even more. Most of my music has good dynamics, and the default 89dB target is too high for me - with the result that i would either get clipping with some tracks or have non-constant loudness.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.