Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: APE(Monkey's audio) (Read 5095 times) previous topic - next topic

APE(Monkey's audio)

what is APE stands for? Where i can find the specification document for APE (monkey's audio)? is there any link i can get the source code otherthan www.monkeysaudio.com? please let me know, and sorry for asking basic doubts.

APE(Monkey's audio)

Reply #1
the source code from monkeysaudio.com is the only original SC. why do you have doubts on this codec?
Monkey's Audio is a lossless codec, further definition and details can be read at monkeysaudio.com.
APE is just the file extention name for Monkey's Audio files (*.ape).
It WAS one of the first wide-spreaded codecs in lossless use. Nowadays FLAC, WavPack and ALAC are used by more people than APE.
FB2K,APE&LAME

APE(Monkey's audio)

Reply #2
Methinks it was just a cheeky, primate-related choice of a three letter extension!

APE(Monkey's audio)

Reply #3
A monkey is generally referred to as an ape

APE(Monkey's audio)

Reply #4
A monkey is generally referred to as an ape

Sorry to be pedantic - and OT - but while monkeys and apes are both primates they are completely different "branches" of the primate tree and are not the same thing at all. The most obvious difference being that monkeys have tails while apes don't.

APE(Monkey's audio)

Reply #5
Thank you for your replies.
Does monkey's audio has the spcification document, if yes can you point me where i can get it?
I didn't find any specification document in the monkeysaudio.com.