Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High Memory Footprint (Read 5578 times) previous topic - next topic

High Memory Footprint

System: Windows XP HE, Service Pack 1, all current patches installed
            Sony Vaio Notebook, mobile AMD Athlon 1.6 GHz, 256 RAM

latest foobar2000 beta = v0.8 beta 7
            DSPs: Volume Control, Crossfader, Gap Killer, Skip silence, Advanced
                      Limiter

foobar2000 seems to require/use quite an amount of system ressources, i.e. RAM.
I have been noticing this for quite some time now.

The amount of RAM used when

- idle (not playing): around 14 MB
- active (playing):  around 20 MB

Compared to WinAmp 5.01:

- idle (not playing): around 10 MB
- active (playing):  around 11.5 MB

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you

High Memory Footprint

Reply #1
Please read FAQ.
I am experiencing high system resource usage (memory or CPU) while playing.
Some DSPs such as crossfader or gap remover need extra memory buffers to operate; you can reduce the memory usage by changing their settings.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #2
This is very odd.  When it is playing it is only using 7.2MB of RAM.  Did you try uninstalling the old version, or just deleting anything unnecassary, and reinstalling the program?  These are still beta versions so there might be something related to that.  When in doubt, though, use the latest stable version.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #3
How big is your database.foo file? I wonder if larger databases made Foobar take more memory.

--Grant

High Memory Footprint

Reply #4
Please read FAQ.
Some DSPs such as crossfader or gap remover need extra memory buffers to operate; you can reduce the memory usage by changing their settings.

Well, first of of course I read the FAQ and of course found this hint.
I did try and remove - the very few - DSPs but that doesn't change much.
Secondyl DSPs only become 'active' while playing but not necessarily in idle mode.
Anyway - what happens _WITHOUT ANY_ DSPs is that the memory used in idle mode remains the same: around 14 MB. While playing the amount is decreased from the 20 MB WITH DSPs to 16 MB. Well...

Did you try uninstalling the old version, or just deleting anything unnecassary, and reinstalling the program?

I did this when I 'switched' to version 0.8 from 0.7 - the memory usage 'problem' remained the same.

How big is your database.foo file?

It is actually rather small, around 360 KB.

Any other ideas?

High Memory Footprint

Reply #5
How many files in your playlist/how many playlists?

Also:

What UI are you using?

Are you using foo_looks to control foobar?

This is a touchy subject by the way, as it has been proven many times that foobar has a very small memory footprint on its own.

My stats are this for instance:
Global:
  • version 0.7.7b

• 5 playlists

• ~575 songs loaded

• foo_columns UI

• gap killer, volume control, advanced limiter loaded

• minimize to tray enabled

• foo_osd (on screen display) enabled

• many other components installed (but not necessarily activated).

On foobar start: ~22mb used
...Then Minimized: 612kb used
...Then maximized again: ~1.6 mb used
Playing: ~7.8mb used
...Minimized playing: ~3.9mb used\

High Memory Footprint

Reply #6
As was said just above, how long did you watch the usage?  I think Spase summed it up pretty well in that the usage IS high when the player is loaded by drops after it is running for a few minutes.  Hopefully we can figure out what is going on as it should not be running nearly that high.  Good luck to you and hopefully someone hear will help you figure out what is going on.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #7
hey i have the same problem.
but not only is the memory usage high, but the CPU Usage is high ~42
and the mouse pointer becomes choppy while playing.

my system config is

Win XP Pro SP 1
Intel 800 MHz
128 MB Ram

and the foobar v8b6
columns UI

DSP's used:
channel seperation
convolver
equilizer
volume control

but my database is 4.05 MB
is this causing the problem?

I've had this problem since v7.7
the earlier versions were fine!!!

High Memory Footprint

Reply #8
Quick, easy way to decrease memory footprint and decrease CPU load: delete unused components and disable DSPs. If you've installed the Special installer, there's a memory cost for all the components. If you're using convolver and EQ, they're both CPU intensive. If you install the program with all the extras, there's a cost for it.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #9
It would be great to be able to remove componoents through the UI (just like winamp). It is not that easy to figure out what a component is just by its file name.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #10
It would be great to be able to remove componoents through the UI (just like winamp). It is not that easy to figure out what a component is just by its file name.

What the hell are you talking about? If you can't figure that out, well...

High Memory Footprint

Reply #11
its funny how we point a finger first at someone else rather than ourselves!!!:-)

I downloaded v8b7
the cpu usage came low, but not low enough.

But suprises when i removed convolver from the DSP List!!!! :-)
CPU usage came down to 5 and memory usage came down to ~2MB!!!

High Memory Footprint

Reply #12

What the hell are you talking about? If you can't figure that out, well... 

Hey that feature is actually quite nifty.

Of course if it requires hacks, then I'd rather not have it.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #13
No hacks, but it'd have to be built into the actual executable.  It couldn't be implemented as a component.  (Well, technically it could, but it would be a very bizarre, very unintuitive implementation.)

High Memory Footprint

Reply #14
those foo_xxxx.dll are hard to decipher.

who would know that foo_masstag.dll was for mass tagging
foo_flac.dll was for flac support ..

too cryptic .. but foobar tells you ..

Preferences > Componets > list off all the componets and the DLL name.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #15
I just checked online and RAM is 13 cents a meg on Newegg.  Rather then spend all this time argueing and troubleshooting over 60 cents worth of memory, perhaps you should consider upgrading.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #16
I just checked online and RAM is 13 cents a meg on Newegg.  Rather then spend all this time argueing and troubleshooting over 60 cents worth of memory, perhaps you should consider upgrading.

And if you're really that concerned about memory usage, you shouldn't even be running Windows at all.  I can run Firebird with multiple tabs, xmms, xchat, gaim, and several terminal windows in Linux without using any swap at all (with 512 MB memory).

High Memory Footprint

Reply #17
I don't really know if this is the correct place to bring this point up but while transcoding from wv to m4p using Foobar and Nero, cpu usage leaps to 100% (taskmanager) and more often than not the computer freezes.

Nothing else is running and as far as I know there are no viruses, spyware etc (Norton, adaware and spybot all updated).

Any ideas?

1Gb Ram
Duron 1200
Xp pro SP1
Foobar beta 6 (I understand the significance of beta).

auldyin

High Memory Footprint

Reply #18
I don't really know if this is the correct place to bring this point up but while transcoding from wv to m4p using Foobar and Nero, cpu usage leaps to 100% (taskmanager) and more often than not the computer freezes.

Nothing else is running and as far as I know there are no viruses, spyware etc (Norton, adaware and spybot all updated).

Any ideas?

1Gb Ram
Duron 1200
Xp pro SP1
Foobar beta 6 (I understand the significance of beta).

auldyin

if your computer freezes while working at 100%, then your cpu  or hardware componets has serious stability issues. you should prolly run memtest to test your memory and use a variety of programs that stress your cpu to check for stability. Prime95 or Toast.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #19
i just checked on this.
(beta7-special with empty playlist and none additional plugins edit: forgot foo_syfm )

in this order:

fresh start: ~13,7mb
send fb to tray: ~700kb
restore: 1,6mb

after adding 3 albums to pl (42 tracks): ~9,1mb
send to tray: ~700kb
restore: ~2mb

hit play: ~7,7mb
send to tray: ~2,7mb
restore (still playing): ~3,7mb

seems alright to me.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #20

ROFL!

If your post was meant to be sarcastic, then I agree with you.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #21
those foo_xxxx.dll are hard to decipher.

too cryptic .. but foobar tells you ..

Preferences > Componets > list off all the componets and the DLL name.

what is foo_stfu.dll? (found in normal installer)

I know "foobar tells me", but i can't do anything to the dlls while foobar is still running, right?

And there is a message at the page, "Note that the above list contains only components that report their name / version info." So there may be something missing.

High Memory Footprint

Reply #22
what is foo_stfu.dll? (found in normal installer)

The seekbar.

Search the changelog for "STFU".

zZzZzZz put it there so everyone who was screaming about a seekbar would shut the f*** up  (remember that the early versions of FB2K didn't have a seekbar).
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.