Skip to main content
Topic: Question about the channel descriptors in a flac file create from a SACD ISO (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about the channel descriptors in a flac file create from a SACD ISO

I created flac files from my SACD ISO files using foobar.

I get the following in the "Channels" field when I view the "Properties" of the flac file using foobar:

6: FL FR FC LFE BL BR

I currently have a 5.1 sound system:

Custom HTPC
Denon 4308
Bowers & Wilkins CM-5 (FL & FR)
Bowers & Wilkins CMC (FC)
Bowers & Wilkins M-1 (SL & SR)
HSU VTF-2 MK4

Currently everything plays appropriately.

Question is when I add rear surrounds as part of a 7.1 system will the BL & BR channels from the flac file play thru the rear surround speaker and not the M-1 surround speakers??

Are the channel descriptors in the flac file used?  Is there a way to change BL & BR to SL & SR??  Are BR & BL the same as RR & RL?  Is all of this standardized?  I did find this info:

1 channel: mono
2 channels: left, right
3 channels: left, right, center
4 channels: front left, front right, back left, back right
5 channels: front left, front right, front center, back/surround left, back/surround right
6 channels: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back/surround left, back/surround right
7 channels: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back center, side left, side right
8 channels: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back left, back right, side left, side right

in the flac documentation.  Seems like it could be difficult to get a HTPC and sound system to cooperate and get the right sound coming out of the correct speaker.  On top of that I do not see anything about 4.1 sound.  Is there a better file format for multi-channel audio?

My sound system is currently in storage so I cannot easily add the extra speakers and run tests with the different audio files.

Re: Question about the channel descriptors in a flac file create from a SACD ISO

Reply #1
I also found out something is wrong with the channels.

I did convert the PCM from a High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray to FLAC.
Foobar shows only 6 in the Channels field in Properties on the FLAC files.
If i play a file i have output on BL BR.

If i lock at the same file as wav the Channels field shows 6: FL FR FC LFE SL SR
So this is correct and also the sound output is SL SR.

But the funny thing is that MPC-HC plays the FLAC correct (SL SR).

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018