Skip to main content

Topic: How To 'Freeze' A Playlist . . .  (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic

• 2sevens
  • [*]
How To 'Freeze' A Playlist . . .
I've seen questions similar to this previously posted here and elsewhere on the 'net, but I'd like to add my voice in the hope that some enterprising developer somewhere might hear my plea [hint] .....

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH to the Foobar developers.  I've been using Foobar2000 for about 12 months now, after becoming thoroughly sick of ITunes bloated code, so-slow load times and clunky, restrictive GUI.

I love that I am still able to use Foobar2000 on my aged music pc long past its hardware and software EOL dates.

I've recently been pushing past the 'use-it-out-of-the-box' stage and have been extending my use of playlists and optional components.

Who knew I could listen non-stop to 2 weeks and 6 1/2 days of stuff, non-stop, if I could stay awake that long?

I love the IPod component - it is one of the main reasons I got interested in the 1st place.

Foobar2000 is AWESOME and you guys are due all respect and kudos for creating it and nurturing it all this time.

Now the ask ...

To me, the art of music appreciation is in the construction of the playlist: I like to think of a playlist as a digital, portable version of the old mixtapes we used to make back in the day.  Call it 'curating' if you like. 

With Foobar, however, it doesn't seem to be possible to preserve a custom playlist order, i.e. where the tunes are manually picked to play in a certain sequence: not sorted by date, not sorted by album or artist name.  Just picked in a user-preferred order or ordered manually by drag and drop into a user-defined sequence in the same way a DJ selects a series of tunes using his/her expertise and art.  If I make a selection this way, each time I analyse the playlist by sorting the playlist columns, my intended sequence is lost - the item index is reset to reflect the current sort order.

SO I was wondering if it would be possible to make an enhancement, such as:
a. an optional lock on the item index column, so the initial selection sequence is preserved, even after the display order has been disrupted by on-screen sorting actions

or b. the ability to save a playlist and make it available in a read-only form so that any re-ordering of the sequence in the playlist view would be lost unless user accepts a prompt to re-save/save-as before closing the playlist or exiting Foobar.

or c. a background column to store the last-saved item index values and a means of switching between current and last-saved item index state.

I realise that I could make 'snapshots' of my custom sort playlists and archive them somewhere outside the default directory, then re-load if the sequence is disrupted, but where's the fun in that?

Thanks in advance for any help - or suggestions for other solutions to this question.

• Jailhouse
  • [*][*][*]
Re: How To 'Freeze' A Playlist . . .
Reply #1
Saving playlists and restoring them after analysis will certainly work. Do you analyze often enough to make that method tedious?
  • Last Edit: 11 July, 2017, 02:07:32 PM by Jailhouse

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #2
[thinks . . . ] hmm Fair challenge.  Yes I probably do - too much in fact:  I'm forever fiddling with 'em, trying to achieve the most aesthetically-pleasing (to me) result in sequence terms.  But I guess I can get by with the manual method, its no show stopper.  Maybe I can try a bit of crude coding myself and put a wrapper round foobar that reloads the saved playlists on startup.

Thanks for your interest

• Jailhouse
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
There's a component (foo_cmd?) that lets you run various commands. That might be what you need.

What you really need is someone who knows, and that isn't me. I hope you get a better answer soon.

• TheQwertiest
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
Probably not what you are asking for, but there is a way to make playlists read-only using foo_utils:
http://foosion.foobar2000.org/components/?id=utils

The problem is, when playlist is read-only you can't change anything, that includes sorting.

• marc2003
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #5
I'd make the playlist read only and if I wanted to mess around, I'd drag the contents to a new playlist and delete when done.
  • Last Edit: 12 July, 2017, 06:50:16 AM by marc2003

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #6
There's a component (foo_cmd?) that lets you run various commands. That might be what you need.

What you really need is someone who knows, and that isn't me. I hope you get a better answer soon.

Interesting - I did a couple of micky-mouse dos scripts to do a copy & refresh of the playlists after thinking about it.  With foo_cmd(?), I'd be able to run them from inside fb.  Good thought, Jailhouse: thanks!

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #7
Probably not what you are asking for, but there is a way to make playlists read-only using foo_utils:

The problem is, when playlist is read-only you can't change anything, that includes sorting.

I'd make the playlist read only and if I wanted to mess around, I'd drag the contents to a new playlist and delete when done.

Read only used in conjunction with a 'scratch' playlist to throw away after analysis will sure work for me.  I'll have a go with foo_utils.  Thanks for the steers, TheQwertiest & marc2003

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #8

Read only used in conjunction with a 'scratch' playlist to throw away after analysis will sure work for me.  I'll have a go with foo_utils.  Thanks for the steers, TheQwertiest & marc2003

OK, so I installed foo_utils and it does pretty well exactly what I wanted.  There is a sticky 'Read Only' menu item under the 'Edit' main menu item that, when checked, persists in successive foobar sessions. 

So I can now make my playlists R/O by default, so they don't get inadvertently messed-up.  Unchecking the R/O menu item reverts all playlists to editable state, so new items can be added or items can be deleted before re-setting the command to R/O status. 

Wonderful! I'm a very happy punter now :)  Thanks again TheQwertiest & marc2003

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #9

Interesting - I did a couple of micky-mouse dos scripts to do a copy & refresh of the playlists after thinking about it.  With foo_cmd(?), I'd be able to run them from inside fb.  Good thought, Jailhouse: thanks!

Jailhouse, the plugin you suggested is 'foo_run' - 'Run Services': ["runs external applications from within foobar2000 0.9.x"].  I don't know if it's compatible with my version but I'm gna have a go anyway. Thanks!

• 2sevens
  • [*]
Reply #10
'foo_run' - 'Run Services': runs fine with v1.3.15 & so I now have a couple of custom menu commands to backup my playlists to a hard-coded directory location or to replace them from that location if they should get messed-up.

Its like all my foobar dreams have come true :)