Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I find out which sample rates my card can output? (Read 21525 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I find out which sample rates my card can output?

Reply #25
My meaning is in XP, the soundcard support true 32-bit integer resolution (internal loopback mode)

How does the internal loopback mode actually work? Does the signal go through the card or is it looped in the driver? Which card is that?

Reply #26
Alsa is little different then on windows. You still have no idea what the sound card is clocked at.

On windows I certainly don't, that is very true

That is why I am trying to present how things work on other systems for those interested in hardware details.

Reply #27
My meaning is in XP, the soundcard support true 32-bit integer resolution (internal loopback mode)

How does the internal loopback mode actually work? Does the signal go through the card or is it looped in the driver? Which card is that?

I can't tell if it is looped in the driver or through hardware DSP because different devices may perform differently but many devices support this function. Devices I actually used are Creative SBLive (CT4830/SB0220) with both Creative and kX Drivers, Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic/XtremeGamer/Titanium/Titanium HD), Roland SC-D70 and RME Multiface II connected with HDSPe PCI card.

Other devices I haven't used but known to have internal loopback function are ESI interfaces with DirectWIRE drivers. Just google "esi directwire" to find more information.

There are even software based solutions like ReWire and VAC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

Devices support hardware DSP based operation (mixing/resampling/looping etc) have definite advantage like low latency and low CPU usage though.