Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ALAC command line tag utility for linux? (Read 4023 times) previous topic - next topic

ALAC command line tag utility for linux?

I have a lot of songs encoded as ALAC on my linux server.  I want to convert them to MP3 (just copies, keep the originals).  (If you must know, I have decided to rip what I can to FLAC from now on, but keep a parallel library of MP3s for the iPods, etc.  I have had a TERRIBLE time with ALAC on my iPod, and I am pissed off about it.  This way I can do whatever I want, and still have archived FLACs when I need them).

I have written a shell script that will scan my library and create a parallel library on disk:
  -MP3s are symbolically linked to the old library
  -FLAC files are converted to MP3, tags are preserved
  -ALAC are converted to MP3

However, I cannot find a command line utility to read the tags from the ALAC so I can then copy them to the new MP3s.

Any ideas?

Eventually I will convert all my ALACs to FLAC, but again, I need to hold on to the tags.  We're talking over 1000 CDs worth of music.

ALAC command line tag utility for linux?

Reply #1
However, I cannot find a command line utility to read the tags from the ALAC so I can then copy them to the new MP3s.

Any ideas?
MPEG4IP includes a handy little utility called mp4info which might do the trick.  I haven't tried it on ALAC files though. It works with ALAC files.