Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Earbuds that don't break? (Read 16877 times) previous topic - next topic

Earbuds that don't break?

This can be considered my induction post into hydrogenaudio. I have seen this site pop up many times in google searches concerning audio, and the information has always been very relevant and helpful, so I decided why not register?

So here is my latest conundrum when dealing with audio equipment, and it is a big one for me: earbuds breaking after three to six months of use. Over the years, I have owned many different pairs of low to mid level earbuds (no high quality or audiophile buds yet, though) from manufacturers such as Skullcandy, Koss, Klipsch, Sony, and others. I have probably obtained more than twenty pairs within the last three to five years. My favorite brand is definitely Koss, because in addition to having high quality sound in all of their headphones that I have tried, they have the best warranty in the industry hands-down.

I have researched this topic immensely, and it seems that earbuds breaking long before they are due is extremely common, even considered inevitable by some. I think it is just because companies habitually use low-quality components (mostly housings and wires) in order to maximize their profit margins, but... the two views are more or less saying the saying the same thing all things considered. My longest lasting headphones were a pair of headphones that came with a 2nd gen ipod (which are only now unusable because I lost them) and a pair of $20 skullcandy ink'd, which were once my primary pair and have now been my backup pair for over one year.

I have found that most of the headphones I have bought in the 30-100 dollar range (any skullcandys in that range being a notable exception) have had more or less the same sound quality, at least when considering the different sounds I could perceive. There were a few pairs that brought something new to my listening experience (such as Sony MDR-EX38, which were my first decent pair of headphones), but by and large I couldn't tell much of a difference among headphones except for minor distortion differences and volume cap.

So here it is:I have researched extensively as to whether mid-range quality buds exist that don't break in a few months, and so far I have not seen anything that suggests they do. Prove me wrong hydrogenaudio.

Reply #1
I don't know whether you are considering in-ears too. I don't have any experience with earbuds because they notoriously drop out of my ears. However, I wouldn't recommend Skullcandy, they are all about style and not at all about quality. The few Skullcandy headphones I've listened to all sounded terrible and seemed to be of poor build quality.

When it comes to in-ears, I have made the best experiences with Sennheiser and Phonak. My ancient Sennheiser CX 300 only died after I jammed the cable in a car's door and they were dragged on the asphalt with 140km/h 

Since then I've upgraded to Phonak's audéo Perfect Bass and they are the most sturdy build in-ears I have ever seen, plus one of the best sounding.

Reply #2
It depends most on how you store them. If you put them away into your pocket in a jumble, then I assume most brands will let you down within a few months, cables are always tiny and twisting them doesn't help.

I have been using the Klipsch Image S4 for 9 months now without experiencing problems but I always store them in their foam rubber bed in the provided steel case. Nicely sounding by the by.

Reply #3
It depends most on how you store them. If you put them away into your pocket in a jumble, then I assume most brands will let you down within a few months, cables are always tiny and twisting them doesn't help.

I always do that. If they can't stand beeing jumbled into the pocket they are not robust enough for me. The earphones mentioned above have sturdy cables and housings and didn't ever suffer from such a treatment. The audéo's cable in particular seems strong enough to use it as a tow-rope.

Maybe that's because they are build by German/Swiss companies which have a certain reputation to loose

Reply #4
Maybe that's because they are build by German/Swiss companies which have a certain reputation to loose

I really doubt that most Sennheisers are actually built in Germany. The only ones I can think of that are not assembled in China are the HD 800s...those cost well over a thousand USD. I paid nearly three hundred for Sennheisers and they were assembled in China. (Naturally, this is merely trivia as I don't believe the nation of origin always determines the quality of the product.)

I know nothing about the build of the Swiss Phonak Audéo earbuds that you've mentioned. Never heard of them until now. If they're as sturdy as you say, I'm interested.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #5
I really doubt that most Sennheisers are actually built in Germany.

Of course none of those products are assembled in Europe, expept for the most expensive top-of-the-line products. However, the build quality ultimately is a matter of a company's quality policy, not of the country where the product is manufactured.

I know nothing about the build of the Swiss Phonak Audéo earbuds that you've mentioned. Never heard of them until now. If they're as sturdy as you say, I'm interested.

They are not only sturdy but have about the best sound quality you can get in their price range. There's a thorough review at ABI, along with a frequency response graph. Note that the "Perfect Bass" earphones are identical to the more expensive PFE, except for the missing accessoires and different, bass-emphasizing filters.

Reply #6
Thanks for the link, Northpack. I really have been looking for some good in-ear 'phones. I may just take your advice and try these when I finally order a set.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #7
Hi.

I'm very satisfied with my in-ears from Jays: http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/a-jays-three.html
The cable is like tagliatelle, and everything seems very solid to me. I have used them for 6 months or so now, tangling them in my pocket. The tangle is always easy to sort out, because of the flat cable.

They cost about $65 here in Norway. I guess they would be a bit cheaper in other countries.
/Agitator

Reply #8
I don't know whether you are considering in-ears too. I don't have any experience with earbuds because they notoriously drop out of my ears. However, I wouldn't recommend Skullcandy, they are all about style and not at all about quality. The few Skullcandy headphones I've listened to all sounded terrible and seemed to be of poor build quality.

When it comes to in-ears, I have made the best experiences with Sennheiser and Phonak. My ancient Sennheiser CX 300 only died after I jammed the cable in a car's door and they were dragged on the asphalt with 140km/h 

Since then I've upgraded to Phonak's audéo Perfect Bass and they are the most sturdy build in-ears I have ever seen, plus one of the best sounding.

Thanks. I will check out these models. The Phonak's look amazing.

I have been using the Klipsch Image S4 for 9 months now without experiencing problems but I always store them in their foam rubber bed in the provided steel case. Nicely sounding by the by.

I have Image S4's currently. I've had them maybe two months, and I noticed yesterday that wire insulation has become detached at the splitter and a piece of wire is now exposed. This will very likely turn into a full break later. They do have good sound quality though. I used to keep them in the steel case, but some... situations where they were put through a little roughhousing dented up the case pretty good. I now use my case from some old Skullcandy Titans. That case is excellent and has lasted me through many other pairs of headphones.

Hi.

I'm very satisfied with my in-ears from Jays: http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/a-jays-three.html
The cable is like tagliatelle, and everything seems very solid to me. I have used them for 6 months or so now, tangling them in my pocket. The tangle is always easy to sort out, because of the flat cable.

They cost about $65 here in Norway. I guess they would be a bit cheaper in other countries.

Thanks for the recommendation. The phones look nice and the tangle-free cable is definitely a plus.

Reply #9
I have Image S4's currently. I've had them maybe two months, and I noticed yesterday that wire insulation has become detached at the splitter and a piece of wire is now exposed. This will very likely turn into a full break later.

You should be able to get them replaced, since the S4 come with a 2 years warranty.

Reply #10
Hi,
I have nuforce ne-6, the build quality is very good, and the sound is also very correct.

Reply #11
etymotic er4's are good;and they are 'modular' so if your cable goes out you can replace it

the cable has a 'vinyl' smooth feel to it, it does not adsorb oils from your face and stiffen over time (as cheap headphone cables do...rubber ones)

er4 cable is pretty durable IMO

Reply #12
My Jays Q-Jays are twin armature, and tiny....they explicitly state not to remove by pulling the cable but I can see no other way. The tips are a bit uncomfortable, but sort that and they are amazing.

They get jumbled in my pocket, pulled about and tugged. I ride them in the rain to word on my pushbike, and they are still working great.

Only downside is that the cable is very short and you have to use the supplied adapter.

They still sork 100% and I have great faith in them. They sound great!

Reply #13
I'm surprised to see all the bad remarks about Skullcandy.  If you've ever tried the Smokin' Buds for around $30, I can see the problem.  Smokin' Buds are the only Skullcandy IEM's that truly suck.  Even the $10 Dubs or Jibs are better than the Smokin' Buds.  I'm now using $40 TiTans that hit hard, but are maybe a bit too bassy.  In my opinion, the best sounding Skullcandy IEM's (that I've heard) are the $20 Ink'd.  They get clearer highs than the TiTans I'm using now, with deep bass and great overall balance and detail.  I KNOW the TiTans have incredibly durable bodies though.  A few weeks ago I shut the car door on the cord without knowing it and the phones were dragging and bouncing on the pavement for a few miles before someone at a red light filled me in on my mistake.  They're missing alot of paint, but didn't even loose the rubbers.  They still work great.  All in all though, I'm going back to the Ink'd if these TiTans ever break, even though I don't think the Ink'd would have survived the car door incident.  Oh, my TiTans' cord now curls up annoyingly in the spot where the car door crushed it but I can live with that.  I've compared $20 Skullcandy Ink'd to some $45 Sony IEM's that belonged to a friend.  We both agreed the Skullcandys won, but not by much.  I also was at a Brookstone and tried the over ear Dr. Dre Beats or something, that were nearly $300.  Besides vibrating your outer ear, which IEM's don't do, the Skullcandy Ink'd sounded comparable.  I would recommend the Ink'd and when they do break, it's only $17.99 to replace them at Target.  They definitely give the best sound on a low budget.  They sound better than both the Smokin' Buds and the TiTans, which are both more expensive.  The first time I tried Skullcandys, I was using some Sony Noise Cancelling headphones that were around $90.  I sold them for $20 because the Ink'd sounded better and were less bulky.