Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 7 Beta and Foobar2000 (Read 53532 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7 Beta and Foobar2000

Wondering if anybody else is testing out Windows 7.

Foobar seems to work except for one thing. The right click context menu is often missing in explorer and I am not sure what is causing this.

Has anybody found a solution to that problem?

Reply #1
One tester here. 

No such problems here at all, installed my foobar as a standard installation. did have some tough time installing because of the restriction for the file and folder usage (used only XP before where everything is allowed always for everyone from the beginning )

I noticed that sometimes the windows 7 itself messes the context menu on other programs, happened twice (but the programs affected are officially only for XP, not even for Vista)

Only problems I've encountered so with the Windows 7 beta 1 is that online armor's firewall crashed the system and punkbuster which informs me about some unknown windows api.
Hevay is The Way!

Reply #2
From arstechnica.com:

"While windows 7 doesn't undo these architectural changes—they were essential for the long-term health of the platform—it equally hasn't made any more. Any hardware or software that works with Windows Vista should also work correctly with Windows 7, so unlike the transition from XP to Vista, the transition from Vista to 7 won't show any regressions; nothing that used to work will stop working."

Reply #3
foobar is running beautifully on windows 7 x64.

Now all that left is customized jump list and put cover art/ vis / playback control in thumbnail like how windows media player did, and then it would be perfect 

Reply #4
although a number of components will have to be recompiled in order to work (like foo_alac)

Reply #5
foobar works like a charm with Windows 7 Beta. I´m using ASIO, this still works, DS works also, WASAPI doesn´t (don´t know why, but neither did Kernel Streaming under WinXP) with E-MU 0202 USB. I think I fell in love with Windows 7, has anyone noticed how fast it is? It´s even faster than my WinXP (which is kept in a finely tuned status by me).

I will by this immediately when it will be official.
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #6
I don't want to install a beta OS over my Server 2008 x64, which makes Vista Ultimate x64 look like a steaming pile of turd in comparison.  (I still await user reports that Windows 7 actually improves Server 2008 performance... though most likely, "Windows 7 Server" aka Server 2008 R2 will be better).  However, regarding explorer/menu issues, there is an issue with foobar2000 and Vista/kernal 6.0 OS's that has persisted to this day.

If I open a properties dialog box, or allow the track box to open up after foobar finishes converting files, sometimes the Exit buttons on those windows will be completely useless; they will click in but won't exit until you do some funky changing focus by switching through Windows Explorer or changing focus within foobar itself.  It also affects the Lyrics Show Panel for columns_ui in that sometimes the Search button does nothing until you change focus by typing new text or whatnot.  This never happened in XP with the same components installed.

Reply #7
I have the same problem. It sets my advanced controls in two part instead of one and even when i make them show, when i click the pause button it just skips to the next song.

Reply #8
although a number of components will have to be recompiled in order to work (like foo_alac)

Why? What are they compiling against that is different?

Reply #9
All(47) components I use works fine in Windows 7.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #10
duno, but they refuse to load (in win7 x64)

foo_burninate
foo_dsp_vlevel
foo_dsp_xover
foo_input_alac
foo_input_dts
foo_input_tta
foo_msnalt
foo_winamp_spam

That said, i'm using this alongside my winXP sp3 machine, so it might be that these also don't work under Vista and I just never knew it before.

Reply #11
Do you have the time to define what "they" are?

Duno, but it might be helpful.

terry

Reply #12
foo_burninate
foo_input_alac

Redownload from the official download site. As these components aren't bundled with the player, they won't be updated as you download newer versions.

foo_input_tta
foo_msnalt

Download updates for these here.

foo_input_dts

And this one here.

Reply #13
I found these plugins to be incompatible:

foo_dsp_src9.dll
foo_g15lcd.dll
foo_input_tak.dll
foo_vis_channelusage.dll

Also, when I used foo_scheduler to shut down my computer, it blue screened, and when I start a visualization with foo_vis_shpeck, I'm informed that the "Plugin DLL could not be loaded".

I've had a couple other random glitches, but nothing really significant.

Edit: I'm using the x64 version.

Reply #15
I found these plugins to be incompatible:

foo_dsp_src9.dll

I think it's unlikely that the author (Erik de Castro Lopo) will update it.

Yeah. Not unless we pay him.

foo_input_tak.dll

Really? Latest version is foo_input_tak-0.4.2-20080408, and it should work.

I believe that's the version I'm using. I copied the dll from my month XP partition, so it was working fine before, and the date on the file is 4/8/2008. Anyway, foobar gives me this message:
Code: [Select]
Failed to load DLL: foo_input_tak.dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

Reply #16
The imperative part is "missing a required dependency" here. It needs an additional DLL with the decoder itself from TAK distribution. (At least so I think after reading this post the other day.)
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #17
The imperative part is "missing a required dependency" here. It needs an additional DLL with the decoder itself from TAK distribution.

Exactly, put tak_deco_lib.dll in foobar2000 folder.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #19
I actually have some strange bug in Windows 7. My album art panel and dynamic info in track_info_mod don't update until you do something like save settings or try to resize the panel.

For example, when song starts track info says "0:00 / 6:41" and it stays that way until I do something. And when foobar starts, nothing shows on these 2 panels. Still, if you do something, they miraculously appear.

Quite weird...

Reply #20
I haven't had any problems, other than global hotkeys not working when the focus is in a privileged application, but I think that comes from Vista. Running foo with privileges stops the problem, as most Vista users are probably aware.

There seemed to be lots of artifacts when using DS output for me, related to CPU usage it seems. WASAPI doesn't work here either, but I'm using KS without any problems.

Reply #21
I haven't had any problems, other than global hotkeys not working when the focus is in a privileged application
OMG so i was right about this... is there any way this can be fixed foobar-side or is it purely OS-side?

I have UAC turned off in vista but i left it on in win7 so I was not sure the global hotkey problem comes from UAC... everything else works perfectly fine so far, but i'm not using many plugins anyway 

Reply #22
I wonder which long-running applications specifically do you need to launch elevated.

Reply #23
i have the strange problem that double clicking on a file in the folder doesn't send it to the end of the playlist, but deletes all other files in the playlist leaving only the one i clicked on.

Reply #24
Do you have the following option enabled?
Preferences > File Types >
  • Set "Enqueue" as the default action