Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why tag MP3s with EAC? (Read 10248 times) previous topic - next topic

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

I was following this guide to set up EAC + LAME and it says
If you prefer not to let EAC tag your files, untick Add ID3 tag; and in the Additional command line options box, copy and paste one of the strings below, based on the tag format you prefer:

and gives the command lines for No Tags, ID3v1, ID3v2, ID3v1 & 2, and automatic

What I was wondering is, what would be the need for the last 4 if you dont want EAC to tag your files? Because I use Tag&Rename for tagging so I have no need for EAC when it comes to tagging

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #1
What I was wondering is, what would be the need for the last 4 if you dont want EAC to tag your files? Because I use Tag&Rename for tagging so I have no need for EAC when it comes to tagging

With the last 4 options you tag the files with the encoder (here lame) with the specified parameters. Alternatively you can tag the files directly with EAC. With tagging via parameters the tagging can be better controlled.

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #2
The differences between letting EAC tag and configuring it to use Lame to tag when using the various lines specified in the wiki are only very slight, actually.

I asked Andre to provide the ability write ID3v2 tags without having to write ID3v1 tags a while back.  If this were implemented then the only differences between using EAC and using Lame based on the wiki configurations would be that EAC will give you better genre support, the ability to place a leading zero for single digit track numbers and automatically specifies the ripping mode in the Encoded tag (when configured to create ID3v2 tags).

Besides the functionality of --id3v2-only and Lame's automatic mode, EAC certainly doesn't give you any less control over tagging than Lame.

Answering the OP's question, if you are using a tag editor to take care of this for you, then there's no reason for you use any of the last four options, or the first one (which is to let EAC do the taging).

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #3
so then what would the command line be if I want to make V0 rips without tags so i can do the tagging in my other program?

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #4
I was following this guide to set up EAC + LAME and it says
If you prefer not to let EAC tag your files, untick Add ID3 tag; and in the Additional command line options box, copy and paste one of the strings below, based on the tag format you prefer:

and gives the command lines for No Tags, ID3v1, ID3v2, ID3v1 & 2, and automatic
.snip.
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #5
When EAC (V0.99 pb3) is used for tagging, has anybody encountered problems with ID3v2.4? If I enable this option in EAC ("Use ID3V2.4.0 tags instead of ID3V2.3.0 tags"), then no ID3v2 tags are written at all. If I disable this option, then everything seems to work correctly (but only with ID3v2.3).

Is it a bug of EAC? Any suggestions?

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #6
Nobody encountered these problems? Could anybody please verify that there is (no) problem?  Your help would be much appreciated.

All you have to do:
Configure EAC to compres to MP3 files (LAME), then check the Add ID3 tag option. Then, in the ID3 Tag tab, just tick all options.
When a track was ripped/compressed then, check the file with a tagging tool (e.g. MP3tag) and look for which ID3 tag versions are used. This should be ID3v1.1 and ID3v.2.4, but as I already mentioned, I can't bring EAC to write these ID3v2 tags, when the option Use ID3V2.4.9 tags instead of ID3V2.3.0 tags is enabled.

Just want to figure out if this is a problem with my configuration or a general EAC problem.

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #7
I can't bring EAC to write these ID3v2 tags, when the option Use ID3V2.4.9 tags instead of ID3V2.3.0 tags is enabled.

I just tested this and the same is true for me.
daefeatures.co.uk

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #8
EAC will give you better genre support, the ability to place a leading zero for single digit track numbers and automatically specifies the ripping mode in the Encoded tag (when configured to create ID3v2 tags).

What is the benifit of having a leading zero for single digit track numbers?

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #9
In the context of this discussion it's somewhat irrelevant since Lame 3.98 will now tag whatever is given when using --tn rather than the older behavior of changing 03/12 to 3, for example.

...but to answer your question, my guess would be that there is none and that it's just a matter of personal preference.

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #10
EAC will give you better genre support, the ability to place a leading zero for single digit track numbers and automatically specifies the ripping mode in the Encoded tag (when configured to create ID3v2 tags).

What is the benifit of having a leading zero for single digit track numbers?

Just a noob, but I believe it's to make it easier to view the files in order when browsing folders.  So track 10 would not come before track 2, for example.

Why tag MP3s with EAC?

Reply #11
I could not reproduce this bug and have changed the article.  Perhaps those who have encountered the issue could be specific about how EAC was configured and what was used to test the files.

My bad for not attempting to verify the problem when the issue was first raised.