Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools and Windows "Album Artist" Extended Attribute (Read 1923 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools and Windows "Album Artist" Extended Attribute

I have been using CUETools to split and encode my CUE/WAV files to flac files. I am finding an interesting pattern with the way that the Windows extended properties are set for the flac files.
  • If all the TRACK entries in the CUE file have the PERFORMER values set to the same value as the top-level PERFORMER value, then in the Windows File Properties of the generated flac files, the Album Artist field is left blank.
  • If the TRACK entries in the CUE file have the PERFORMER values set to different values than the top-level PERFORMER value, then in the Windows File Properties of the generated flac files, the Album Artist field is set to the top-level PERFORMER value.
Is this setting of the Windows "Album Artist" extended file property something that CUETools does, or is it something that Windows does as it sees the files being written to the folder?
Dan

Re: CUETools and Windows "Album Artist" Extended Attribute

Reply #1
OK, I see the problem (which my earlier experiments did not discover). CUETools only writes the ALBUMARTIST tag to the flac file if the CUE file has a TRACK-level PERFORMER value that is different than the top-level PERFORMER value.

Is there any way to force CUETools to always write the ALBUMARTIST tag from the top-level PERFORMER value in the CUE file? (I'll accept no ALBUMARTIST tag if there is no top-level PERFORMER value in the CUE file.)

I'm trying to write a program to scan all my flac file metadata into a database. I guess I could assume that ALBUMARTIST = ARTIST when ALBUMARTIST does not exist, but I would rather have ALBUMARTIST put in the files, In particular, Windows File Explorer does not make that assumption, so it would be good to have it there for that.
Dan

Reply #2
See Encouraged Tag Standards#ALBUM ARTIST
Code: [Select]
tag should only exist if an album contains various artists. It should NOT be created when an album does not contain various artists. 
CUETools follows a similar standard for when to write the ALBUMARTIST tag from CUE data. Currently you can't force CUETools to always add the tag.
korth

Reply #3
Ugh :-\. OK. Thank you.
Dan