Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Batch clearing of "Copyright" flag (Read 4821 times) previous topic - next topic

Batch clearing of "Copyright" flag

Hi,

I discovered, that AVStation Premium (bundled with Samsung notebooks) refuses to play mp3, if they have the copyright flag set. Since this is the only application that is suitable to be fully controlled by the bundled remote, I can't use foobar for such purposes.

I am looking for a tool, that would clear this flag en every 'offending' file, and do this without human intervention. Please advice!
Thanks.

Reply #1
Hi,

I discovered, that AVStation Premium (bundled with Samsung notebooks) refuses to play mp3, if they have the copyright flag set. Since this is the only application that is suitable to be fully controlled by the bundled remote, I can't use foobar for such purposes.

I am looking for a tool, that would clear this flag en every 'offending' file, and do this without human intervention. Please advice!
Thanks.

If no one knows of any such program, it sounds surprisingly easy to write one based on a couple files:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e...lestructure.jpg
http://mpgedit.org/mpgedit/mpeg_format/MP3Format.html

Reply #2
An interesting request, and while I find it laughable that software refuses to play them with copywrite bit set, I did a quick look the various tag programs I have handy.

MP3/Tag Studio 3.05, has a 'mass clean up tags', where you can select to remove all tags or specific frames etc. I didn't test it, but there appears to be a selection for 'copywrite' that you can check to remove.

Reply #3
Doh, beat me to it  Seems MP3/Tag Studio will indeed do it for you -

The mass set tags/flags tool:
  Set custom chosen tags fields to specific values (all other tag fields are left as they are!).
  Choose between prepending, appending or overwriting current tag field data.
  Set encoding flags of mp3:s (like e.g. the copyright flag). Choose between setting them in only the mp3 header or in every frame of the whole mp3 file.

Reply #4
Yop, mp3 tag studio did it... however, it seems like this was not the real reason. They don't play even with Copyright bit set to FALSE. WHat I did not realize is that by removing the COPYRIGHT bit, i have also removed the ID3V2 tag with my previous tool (MP3 DirectCut)

Further investigation showed, that it seems to be the ID3V2 frame size ... Is there any way to set this value in FB2K or change my files to use smaller frames?

Reply #6
The web site linked in the other thread, appears to no longer exist. :x

Reply #7
I found the tool on the internet though. However, as I pointed out, the problem now is the ID3V2 frame size

Reply #8
I found the tool on the internet though. However, as I pointed out, the problem now is the ID3V2 frame size

Can you not strip the ID3v2 tag entirely just for the purposes of playing with this application? If not it's not too hard to write a program which will read the ID3v2 tag then write it back out again. There are various free libraries around to manipulate ID3 and ID3v2 tags.

Reply #9
Of course I could. But it is not worth it.

Reply #10
Of course I could. But it is not worth it.

I may be misremembering, but can't FB2k delete and rewrite ID3v2 tags en masse (as well as APEv2)?  In short, convert all tags to APEv2, delete ID3v2, then copy back from APEv2 and delete APEv2 (if you want).  Assuming the ID3v2 tags are written properly, it should quickly turn all your mp3s into something playable.

Reply #11
I've checked, and it is indeed able to convert to ID3V2 tag to APE and vice versa. The problem is I can't control the padding for ID3v2 and hence I might  end up with tags >2129 bytes which I discovered is the limit for AVStation.
Don't ask me why exactly this number...