Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with inconsistent zip.wv error in Winrar (Read 6623 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with inconsistent zip.wv error in Winrar

I use zip.wv to store my lossless albums with album art/logs and embedded cuesheet/cover art, but I have found that when I open certain files using winrar I can see a list of the files in the archive, but when I try to view the items I get an error message stating that the archive is either unknown format or damaged and it doesn't allow me to view any of the information. The files still play perfectly and both Foobar and AIMP deal with the audio no problem, so I believe the problem lies with the zipping portion of my process. I have found that if I remove the embedded album cover on the problem files winrar has no longer has a problem, but it the error is inconsistent and only happens on some of the files. I always use Foobar to embed the CUE and the art, so one would think the problem would happen consistently to all the files, but it seems only some of the files are affected while others open in winrar with no error message. I'm guessing this is a PEBKAC issue and I'd like to find out what I am doing wrong.

Reply #1
What program did you use to create the zip.wv files? If you used winrar to create them and then winrar has a problem getting data out later, then it sounds like some program attempted to alter the files inside. For example, if Foobar2000 thinks the file is a WavPack file, and tried to do something with the APEv2 tag on the .wv file inside, it will corrupt the .zip file (because it doesn't even know it's a zip file). I would recommend that when you make a zip.wv file you make it read-only to prevent any modification.

I haven't really tried making zip.wv files, so this advice is based on pretty limited experience (I did experiment with a few iso.wv files at one time), but I hope it helps.

David

Reply #2
I used Winrar to create the zip files, and I am using it to open them, so you are right. There is a corrupting influence somewhere in between. I have definitely decided it is in the embedding of the album art. When I remove the embedded art the files open without a problem. Now I have to figure out how to add the art without corrupting the zip file.

Reply #3
Can't you just zip the album art along with the audio rather then embedding it?  This would seem to be by far the safest option.

Reply #4
I include a folder containing the full art within the zip, but I embed a 500x500 so it displays in Foobar along with the track listing. Purely aesthetics, but I am confused as to why the embedded art only seems to cause a problem ~50% of the time.

Reply #5
OP: Can you provide more information on which WinRAR version was used to create the archive, and, the version trying to access the ZIP.WV? :shrug:
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #6
I use Winrar 3.93 x64 to create and open the files and I do all my work on the same Windows 7 x64 computer.

PS - Thank to everyone who offered help. I'm beginning to think this may be a question better suited to a Winrar forum than an audio forum, but I appreciate any help I can get!