Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible to losslessly join Real Audio files? (Read 5378 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to losslessly join Real Audio files?

I subscribe to an online radio show that distributes its content in Real Audio.  Yuck, well...nothing I can do about that.

But one thing that bugs me is that they distribute each show in multiple segments, one for each hour.

I would like to join these files so one file = one show.  Is this possible?

I tried doing a brute-force binary copy/join (copy file1.rm /b + file2.rm /b all.rm /b).  That didn't work.  Real Player stopped after the first hour.

If you have any suggestions...thanks!

Reply #1
This may be a long shot, but try using a hex editor and literally cut and paste the contents of the audio segments from files two then three to the end of the first file.

Reply #2
I think that it won't work. The problem is with the headers, you have to hack the header. Look here.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #3
I subscribe to an online radio show that distributes its content in Real Audio.  Yuck, well...nothing I can do about that.

But one thing that bugs me is that they distribute each show in multiple segments, one for each hour.

I would like to join these files so one file = one show.  Is this possible?

I tried doing a brute-force binary copy/join (copy file1.rm /b + file2.rm /b all.rm /b).  That didn't work.  Real Player stopped after the first hour.

If you have any suggestions...thanks!

The RMEDITOR can certainly do that.  It's available from the Helix Community or from Real Networks.  It's included with the Real Producer and there is a free version.

Reply #4
The RMEDITOR can certainly do that.  It's available from the Helix Community or from Real Networks.  It's included with the Real Producer and there is a free version.

Thanks for this suggestion, unfortunately I'm getting a strange error:

C:\TEMP>rmeditor -i file1.rm -i file2.rm -o result.rm

Input File 1: file1.rm
Input File 2: file2.rm
Output File: result.rm

Processing file (11% complete) /

Error: -2147024809

I also tried using the GUI (Real Media Editor) and I'm getting an error: "The file could not be written.  The disk may be full."

I'm joining two 42 meg files and have 40 gig of free space.

Reply #5
Thanks for this suggestion, unfortunately I'm getting a strange error:

C:\TEMP>rmeditor -i file1.rm -i file2.rm -o result.rm

Input File 1: file1.rm
Input File 2: file2.rm
Output File: result.rm

Processing file (11% complete) /

Error: -2147024809

I also tried using the GUI (Real Media Editor) and I'm getting an error: "The file could not be written.  The disk may be full."

I'm joining two 42 meg files and have 40 gig of free space.

I've seen errors of this sort before.  Indicates some sort of file corruption.  Your program files may play back fine and still have minor errors.  Questions for you:  Were the files downloaded or stream-captured?  When you play back the files (Real Player) are they seekable?  Have you tried decoding the RM's to WAV?

Reply #6
I've seen errors of this sort before.  Indicates some sort of file corruption.  Your program files may play back fine and still have minor errors.  Questions for you:  Were the files downloaded or stream-captured?  When you play back the files (Real Player) are they seekable?  Have you tried decoding the RM's to WAV?

Yes, these are stream captured.  They play back fine and are also seekable.

I don't know much about RM files, how can I decode them to .wav?  I didn't see any option in Real Producer to do that.

Thanks!