Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy format(s) do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC or HE-AAC v1/v2 (.m4a, .aac…)
[ 33 ] (18.9%)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
[ 5 ] (2.9%)
MP3 (.mp3)
[ 45 ] (25.7%)
Musepack (.mpc)
[ 10 ] (5.7%)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
[ 11 ] (6.3%)
Opus (.opus)
[ 45 ] (25.7%)
WavPack Lossy/Hybrid (.wv)
[ 4 ] (2.3%)
xHE-AAC (USAC)
[ 5 ] (2.9%)
I don't really use any lossy codec on a regular basis
[ 17 ] (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 175

Voting closed: 2021-01-01 23:45:44

Topic: 2020 Format poll [Lossy Formats]  (Read 19411 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2020 Format poll [Lossy Formats]

Reply #50
I can only guess that the drop we see for mp3 and aac is due to fewer people voting, and the ones who remain are more of the enthusiasts. Among those, Opus would be expected to score higher.

There are some small cult followings here too.  Hunch:
* I can only guess that the Musepackers have followed it for long.  (The total participant corpus isn't constant ...)
* WavPackers are those - or a subset of those - who swear by WavPack for lossless? (Compare to ten users at the lossless poll https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=115721.0 )
* LossyWAV is "fun, but not so useful". Who cares about that? Those who are impressed by the "this is even possible!"?
* Ogg Vorbis ... old habits die hard? How many Vorbis users voted out of what they play, not encoding much?

Reply #51
wavpack lossy 256k for portable listening.

Reply #54
I can only guess that the drop we see for mp3 and aac is due to fewer people voting, and the ones who remain are more of the enthusiasts. Among those, Opus would be expected to score higher.
Those are my thoughts as well. Though we can't be sure about it.

Anyway these polls don't pretend to be ideal in every aspect. Still they bring some information.

Reply #55

* I can only guess that the Musepackers have followed it for long.  (The total participant corpus isn't constant ...)
* WavPackers are those - or a subset of those - who swear by WavPack for lossless? (Compare to ten users at the lossless poll https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=115721.0 )
* LossyWAV is "fun, but not so useful". Who cares about that? Those who are impressed by the "this is even possible!"?
* Ogg Vorbis ... old habits die hard? How many Vorbis users voted out of what they play, not encoding much?

That because outside there bubbles AAC/MP3 are the go to choice for support & at 256kbps transparency ties. I hope it not quality reasons for Wavpack since i cringe at Lossless vs Lossless fights. For LossyWAV what is that even about?, For people who are too sure that 256kbps MP3 or AAC will artifact on edge case issues.

When I'm outside here the only choices seem to be both 256k AAC, V0 Lame, 160kbps Opus while it FLAC as always. For edge case samples i wonder how many just use FLAC just keep support.

Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #56
includemeout has made this graph of comparison year-by-year
Very interesting, thank you.

[...]
[...]
* WavPackers are those - or a subset of those - who swear by WavPack for lossless? (Compare to ten users at the lossless poll [...]
[...]
Correct in my case: encoding to WavPack hybrid I go for the convenience of just copying the lossy files to the DAP (as per my post an Android smartphone with the Foobar2000 app).
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100