Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Synchronizing playlists on two systems (Read 3188 times) previous topic - next topic

Synchronizing playlists on two systems

Hello,

I have a simple question. Which folder/s should I synchronize to keep the playlists identical on two systems? Both use the same network location for library, mounted on the same drive letter. I manage the library on one system, and use the other lightly for playback only.

Thanks!

Re: Synchronizing playlists on two systems

Reply #1
Symlink the entire profile folder. That should work.

Theoretically you could symlink just the playlists BUT they are named with UUIDs so no clue about which ones you are syncing (no problem if you want all of them) AND one thing is the physical file and another foobar remembering that those playlists are loaded within the UI. The second involves sharing the same profile in some way.

Alternatively just use Playlist-Manager-SMP (my sig) which is meant to be used in those cases. There is even a complete section for that on the FAQ and in fact just sharing the physical playlists would do for you since you are even using the same library/disk letter.

Note you could even put the playlist files along the library, change drive letters or add more Foobar2000 instances (other network players?) and still got it working. Much safer than symlinking the profile folder in any case.

The way it works is tracking a folder. If you have the manager in the 2 foobar instances tracking 'z:\Playlists' then those files are always available within foobar (like a playlists library instead of a media library). Changing the file in one instance would instantly sync the changes to the other instance, no need to do more.

Reply #2
Alternatively just use Playlist-Manager-SMP (my sig) which is meant to be used in those cases. There is even a complete section for that on the FAQ and in fact just sharing the physical playlists would do for you since you are even using the same library/disk letter.

Thanks for the reply! I'm just a dummy end user, so most of what you wrote flew over my head. I'll try your extension, but where is the zip file? I don't understand the GitHub interface. If I may tax your kindness a little more, could you list for me the plain English steps to get your extension? I will follow the install instructions exactly after that. Also, for other required components please, e.g. "monkey panel"---I have no idea what that is but I'll learn if it means my playlists will stay synchronized.

Also, I have the Playlist Organizer installed, and it has no option for changing the save location of playlist files. How do I save the playlists in the library drive?

Thanks again!

Reply #3
First read this and then download the plugin.
https://theqwertiest.github.io/foo_spider_monkey_panel/#getting-started

Follow those steps to install my scripts.
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Manager-SMP (green button: code\download zip)
you have a full readme in pdf and several txt files explaining all steps required.

So if you have questions after reading them... feel free to ask. In resume you need to download a component (spider monkey panel) which lets you add javascript scripts to foobar (playlist-manger-smp). Then you will have to install those scripts in a new foobar panel (you have to create a new UI panel for that) and done. The readmes tell you where and how to install things, but the general idea is that. Don't get lost on the details.

Also, I have the Playlist Organizer installed, and it has no option for changing the save location of playlist files. How do I save the playlists in the library drive?
Foobar doesn't have a playlist manager saving playlist on a configurable location. That's the point. Foobar is meant to be used with playlists as semi-permanent UI elements, there are multiple "addons" trying to work around that but that's all. They make it easier to work with them but the base doesn't change. You can not use Playlist Organizer to save or load playlist in any way, and the playlist are always loaded on the program (you can see it if you have playlist tabs).

I find that approach totally awful, that's why I have created a full fledged playlist manager (within the constrains imposed by the framework). Others may think otherwise and since the program has not introduce any improvement for playlist organization in years I would say it's a design decision. Playlist are not meant to be synced\exported\imported\managed by design, just an internal file used by the program which you may manually save from time to time as m3u playlists.

What you try to achieve requires out of the box solutions, so it's either using my scripts, using symlinks or a single foobar portable instance installed on the network disk (so it can be run anywhere you have access to that disk).

Reply #4
First read this and then download the plugin.
https://theqwertiest.github.io/foo_spider_monkey_panel/#getting-started

Follow those steps to install my scripts.
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Manager-SMP (green button: code\download zip)
you have a full readme in pdf and several txt files explaining all steps required.

.... The readmes tell you where and how to install things, but the general idea is that. Don't get lost on the details.

What you try to achieve requires out of the box solutions, so it's either using my scripts, using symlinks or a single foobar portable instance installed on the network disk (so it can be run anywhere you have access to that disk).

I saw "(you only need foo_spider_monkey_panel.fb2k-component)." The release page has 1.6.0 but there is a loud warning not to use it. Where is the release for 1..5.2? Could you link me straight to the download of 1.5.2 foo_spider_monkey_panel.fb2k-component? I downloaded the zip file, and there is no such file in it. The Readme is not a text file, Windows cannot open it. I understand nothing of what is going on at Github pages---it is not for end users. The word "download" is nowhere.

There is however "No download available" here: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_spider_monkey_panel

I will try the portable install on the network drive. If two desktops can use it simultaneously without problems it may be the easiest solution for me.

Thanks again for your patient efforts!

Reply #5
https://github.com/TheQwertiest/foo_spider_monkey_panel/releases     (scroll down)
Yep github could improve its accessibility for the end user.

Readme files can be opened by notepad regardless of the extension. And yes, probably the portable install will be good enough for you.

Reply #6
I will try the portable install on the network drive. If two desktops can use it simultaneously without problems it may be the easiest solution for me.
I have no experience with that, but to my understanding, you'd have to remember to close foobar on one machine before opening it on the other.

Since foobar only loads the config (playlists) when you open it, and only saves them when you close it (or use the menu command). In other words any changes you make to playlists would not show up on the other - and would be overwritten - if both machines have the same foobar open at once, so you'd have to close / restart for changes to keep in sync. (Right?)

Reply #7
I have no experience with that, but to my understanding, you'd have to remember to close foobar on one machine before opening it on the other.

Since foobar only loads the config (playlists) when you open it, and only saves them when you close it (or use the menu command). In other words any changes you make to playlists would not show up on the other - and would be overwritten - if both machines have the same foobar open at once, so you'd have to close / restart for changes to keep in sync. (Right?)
That part is right. Obviously I supposed you would never run the 2 instances at the same time, if you do things will break.
But running it from multiple places at different times works fine and is like "syncing" in practice. If that's your use case go on, otherwise you will have to go the SMP route or symlink.

Reply #8

Yes, I have to remember to close the secondary Fb2k first before closing the primary instance. Almost all playlist changes are done on the primary, but not strictly. Another way would be to run the secondary Fb2k portable from the local drive, and have Windows sync that folder with the network drive from which the primary Fb2k is running. Even so, changes will be over written on shut down.

I have moved the primary Fb2k window from the external monitor to the laptop display. Both laptop displays have the same resolution, so I do not have to adjust the UI after every sync.

If that's your use case go on, otherwise you will have to go the SMP route or symlink.

Both installs do not play at the same time, but they are both open all the time. If I forget to shut down in the correct order there is potential for lost changes. The problem with syncing before was the window sizes were different, so I had to re-arrange the UI on the secondary Fb2k after every sync. With both installs running on identical displays, I could use the network drive as the sync location, and run both installs in portable local folder. It will boot up instantly----it takes about 10 seconds to boot up from the network drive, mainly because it is loading the waveform db which is 850+ Mb and keeps getting larger.