Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Program other than iTunes to Sync your iPod? (Read 11497 times) previous topic - next topic

Program other than iTunes to Sync your iPod?

With the release of iTunes 8 (not sure I want Genius scoping my library) I'm not sure that I'll stick with iTunes to sync my iPod and all my MP3s and AAC files once my ripping and library is complete.

I'm wondering what other programs offer this /anyone has used with success... Foobar? Media Monkey? Any link offering more information is appreciated.

Thanks. 

Reply #2
Ahhh, thank you.

Wouldn't it be nice if they all agreed?

Reply #3
You don't have to enable Genius.  By default, Genius is turned off and is an optional feature.  Genius is more or less an update to the iTunes mini bar in that it will give you recommendations of iTunes Store purchases.  The handy feature is it being able to generate a playlist of up to 100 songs instantly by simply clicking on one song.  It uses your library data and data from the iTunes Store to pick similar artists.  I have used this playlist generating feature three times today alone.  I created an mp3 CD for my new car, a playlist to fit on a 512MB thumb drive for my other car, and a playlist of songs to just play while doing homework.

You can also turn off the side bar which gives you iTunes Store recommendations.  The only problem is that Genius must communicate and share information about your music library with the iTunes Store.  Everything is anonymous though so iTunes/Apple only knows about your songs.  I can't see why that would be such a bid deal to share such information.

There are many other programs that can be used for iPod syncing though.  Just keep in mind that iTunes is the only iPod syncing software that can sync every aspect of the iPod including photos, videos, applications/games, and music.  In fact, there are only two applications that support gapless metadata needed for gapless playback on the iPod and they are iTunes and gtkpod (Linux only).  So you need to ask yourself if you need the following things: gapless audio playback, video syncing, audio syncing, photo syncing, game/application syncing, podcast syncing, and compatibility with newer iPod models such as the iPod touch or iPod classic.

Reply #4
being able to generate a playlist of up to 100 songs instantly by simply clicking on one song.

For some reason I thought this only created playlists/recommendations from the iTunes store, not from your own personal library. I'll have to take a closer look.