Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: O2 Amp - What DAC? (Read 4241 times) previous topic - next topic

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Well i already had a thread, but it got out of hand cause i didn´t specify to well what i wanted.
But now as i have gotten an Amp (Objective2), i can just pinpoint to the DAC.

I have asked around for DAC, and as i am not too knowledgeble about it, i put my trust in what others now.

I have been given a recommendation: Musical Fidelity M1 DAC II

I don´t know if it´s overkill, or if it´s worth the cost. So i hope you can help me out on this.

I want a high end DAC that i can use with anything. I don´t want it just for Headphones (even though i only use that currently).
And i want to be able to use it for anything, so only USB isn´t going to cut it. And i don´t really like to use USB interface with Audio stuff.

So Toslink and Coaxial is the way to go i think, if there isn´t any limitations about them of course.

Oh, and if it´s necessary, i currently got a motherboard soundcard, and a real soundcard, though very cheap (Creative X-Fi PCI-E), and both of them add noise that is very noticable if i increase the volume past 2 a clock on my O2.

If you need more information, or if i wasn´t to informative please tell!

Many Thanks

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Reply #1
I have been given a recommendation: Musical Fidelity M1 DAC II

I don´t know if it´s overkill, or if it´s worth the cost.
It's not worth it to me    And, you're not going to get $800 USD worth of sound quality.  But, if you like the features, and the appearance and it's in your budget, it might be worth it to you.  I paid less than $200 for my home theater receiver with optical and coax inputs, analog inputs, an AM/FM tuner, Dolby & DTS decoders, a headphone output and 200 watts x 5 channels of surround sound.

BTW - I believe the Music Fidelity DAC uses a $5.00 DAC chip...  The basic electronic parts are cheap, and you can use an even cheaper DAC and still get sound that's better than human hearing.    I'm not saying it's rip-off... Of course there is more inside than just a chip, and the cabinet probably costs more than $100.  And, the engineering, overhead, manufacturing & distribution costs can really add-up when manufacturing in small quantites.  Then there's profit (but these guys are probably not getting rich because the quantities are small).  Plus, there's  the additional marketing appeal that goes along with a high-price. 

I want a high end DAC that i can use with anything. I don't want it just for Headphones (even though i only use that currently).
    On the output side, any DAC with line-level RCA outputs will connect to any amplifier or receiver.

On the input-side, most stand-alone DACs are stereo-only, and most don't have Dolby decoders.  You can still play a Dolby DVD from your computer as long as you configure your soundcard to decode the dolby, and send the decoded stereo out of the S/PDIF connection.  But if you connect a DVD player, you'll only hear sound from DVDs have have LPCM audio.  Most DVDs have Dolby-only, and these won't work.  The bandwidth limitations of S/PDIF mean that you can't transmit uncompressed surround-sound, and I believe there are some Blu-Ray audio formats that S/PDIF also cannot handle.

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Reply #2
Well if that´s the case, then it´s probably not worth it for me either.

I don´t really care for DVD an Bluray, it´s more. Well Consoles and PC probably.
And i use Headphones mostly and if i use Speakers, i don´t think i will use Surround, cause if i wanted that, i would probably use some kind of home theater setup.

But what exists in the External DAC world that are price worthy, and is able to DAC normal stuff, Stereo etc. Dolby Digital stuff isn´really needed, but i guess it´s a bonus if it exists.
I really just want a Great External DAC, that can be used with Toslink or whatever is recommended.

For output, well i don´t know what´s normally recommend. But the usual 3.5 is of course a must. And RCA, well, i don´t know. Haven´t ever used them except for VCR, DVD and Consoles, but i guess Stereo speakers may want them?

And the Balanced Output, i am not sure about them either, haven´t really seen anything that uses it except high end microphones.

So i am all ear for suggestions on what i should have and what i should get.

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Reply #3
Don't you already have a high end DAC?  Just use the line out from that to drive the O2.  Edit:  sorry misread, for some reason I thought you had a better sound card already.

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Reply #4
How about Musical Fidelity's own V-DAC MkII?

Far less than half the cost of the M1, far more compact/portable, and any difference in sound quality between the two would exist only in Stereophile's reviews...although their typically excellent measurements show the V-DAC to be a very well-engineererd little DAC.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

O2 Amp - What DAC?

Reply #5
How about Musical Fidelity's own V-DAC MkII?

Far less than half the cost of the M1, far more compact/portable, and any difference in sound quality between the two would exist only in Stereophile's reviews...although their typically excellent measurements show the V-DAC to be a very well-engineererd little DAC.

Seems interesting, does anyone has experience with it?
Cause it would be very nice to have people tell me about their experiences with their current DACs, so i have something to compare to.

Btw, i am NOT limited to using portable solution, i would prefer not using it (as Portable is often off less quality then a stationary).
But as long as that´s not the case, i am all ear for portable solution. I just want the best for the price like anyone else:)