Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can I fix an incomplete .aac adts file? (Read 4220 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I fix an incomplete .aac adts file?

Hi,
I forgot to stop the voice recording, after more than an hour I shut down my Android phone accidently while it was still recording in AAC with adts header.  The resulting file is unplayable, I have already tried Besliced and All Media Fixer to fix it, but my attempts miserably failed.  I also played a bit with Hex Workshop modifying a working .aac file. If I alter it it in the middle it will be still playable, but if I troncate the end it will become unreadable. I guess there is some essential information at the end of the file required to be loaded by the player. There is more than a pattern of ADTS headers at the beginning of each frame, right? 
Does FFMPEG help to fix my file, maybe converting it in an ,mp4 file or do you suggest me any hex editing strategy?

Regards
Enrico     

Reply #1
http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php
Federico Ponchio fixed my file. Despite its extension it was actually an mp4 wrapped aac file, not an adts headered file.

Reply #2
Thank you for sharing the fix