Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC for Apple/Macs? (Read 13626 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Is there any way to play MPC files on Mac OS X? I am thinking of purchasing a PowerBook, but would like to be able to play MPC/OGG/FLAC files on the computer.

Thank you,

ixtx

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #1
Is there any way to play MPC files on Mac OS X? I am thinking of purchasing a PowerBook, but would like to be able to play MPC/OGG/FLAC files on the computer.

Thank you,

ixtx
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got a player in development that plays mpc + ogg.

You can get it from here: [a href="http://www.caddr.com/xist]http://www.caddr.com/xist[/url]

It works but it's still pretty alpha.

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #2
I've got a player in development that plays mpc + ogg.

You can get it from here: http://www.caddr.com/xist

It works but it's still pretty alpha.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285505"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there are also other ways to play .mpc on a mac (mppdec *.mpc | esdcat and X11+XMMS+plugin) but your solution is clearly the most comfortable to date!

as much as i appreciate your effort, i'm sorry to say when most people say they want to play .mpc files on a may, they really want to say they want to play them in iTunes/QuickTime.
(which means what's really needed is a MPC plugin for QuickTime, which fortunatly would also enable .mpc to be played with iTunes for Windows)

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #3
there are also other ways to play .mpc on a mac (mppdec *.mpc | esdcat and X11+XMMS+plugin) but your solution is clearly the most comfortable to date!

as much as i appreciate your effort, i'm sorry to say when most people say they want to play .mpc files on a may, they really want to say they want to play them in iTunes/QuickTime.
(which means what's really needed is a MPC plugin for QuickTime, which fortunatly would also enable .mpc to be played with iTunes for Windows)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems Apple developers don't put in too much effort or interest in supporting free/open formats...
You can't play Icecast2 Vorbis streams in iTunes either.... I've only found [a href="http://www.whamb.com/]one[/url] native Mac player that will do that...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #4
Seems Apple developers don't put in too much effort or interest in supporting free/open formats...
You can't play Icecast2 Vorbis streams in iTunes either.... I've only found one native Mac player that will do that...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289558"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i don't think the problem is that apple doesn't provide that support out-of-box, it's rather that the plugin situation is kinda weak right now. writing QuickTime plugins really sucks, and QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

regarding icecast...if the QuickTime OGG plugin (http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/) doesnt support streaming right now it shouldnt be that hard to fix...

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #5
QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

QT 7 is hooked right up to CoreAudio, so let's hope someone makes ogg and mpc plugins before too long. iTunes will hopefully take advantage of CoreAudio soon as well.

MPC for Apple/Macs?

Reply #6
QuickTime doesn't (yet) take advantage of CoreAudio plugins...maybe that will be better with tiger/quicktime7

QT 7 is hooked right up to CoreAudio, so let's hope someone makes ogg and mpc plugins before too long. iTunes will hopefully take advantage of CoreAudio soon as well.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293363"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, well after updating from quicktime 6.5 to 7 on my iMacG4 OS 10.3.9, playing an ogg file caused i Tunes and Quicktimeplayer to quit and prompt for sending an errorreport:

Host Name:    ************
Date/Time:      2005-05-01 22:43:13 +0200
OS Version:    10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: iTunes
Path:    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Version: 4.7.1 (4.7.1)
PID:    474
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000013

Thread 0 Crashed:
0  OggVorbis.component               0x052353d8 ogg_page_pageno + 0x4
1  OggVorbis.component               0x05233778 PrimeSource + 0x70
2  OggVorbis.component               0x052332e8 OggVDecompGetSourceData + 0x34
3  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore    0x902b20b4 CallComponentFunctionCommon + 0x414
4  OggVorbis.component               0x05232e68 OggVDecompComponentDispatch + 0x4c
..............etc. etc.........

Quicktime:

Host Name:      ********
Date/Time:      2005-05-01 22:32:26 +0200
OS Version:    10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: QuickTime Player
Path:    /Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Player
Version: 7.0 (7.0)
PID:    388
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000013

Thread 0 Crashed:
0  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0d3d8 ogg_page_pageno + 0x4
1  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0b778 PrimeSource + 0x70
2  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0b2e8 OggVDecompGetSourceData + 0x34
3  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore    0x902b20b4 CallComponentFunctionCommon + 0x414
4  OggVorbis.component               0x04d0ae68 OggVDecompComponentDispatch + 0x4c

etc..etc..

I replaced the component in the plugin folder, but i also placed it now in the //system/library/quicktime , but had no succes either  ..mmmm, someone any ideas?

;-) Sanne