Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 degradates Windows 10 security (Read 1820 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 degradates Windows 10 security

I have determined that foobar2000 needs to create a file named "running" in the same folder, where the foobar2000.exe is located. If the folder was "c:\program files\foobar200\", the user has to have a write/create file permissions on it. According to the Windows 10 security concept it is not recommend and would weaken the system security - even both explicit permission grant and/or executing as administrator. Such practice to make a program folder read-only is used also in UNIX/linux world, where process activity flags are created as a rule in /var.
So my proposal is to "teach" foobar2000 a little bit to the level of the modern programming culture.
It would be very compromizing if this good software was used as an entry gate for a malicious attack.

Re: Foobar2000 degradates Windows 10 security

Reply #1
I have determined that foobar2000 needs to create a file named "running" in the same folder, where the foobar2000.exe is located.
Only when foobar2000 is in portable mode. Otherwise this file goes to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000

If the folder was "c:\program files\foobar200\", the user has to have a write/create file permissions on it.
It's a bad idea to put portable programs into "Program Files" folder.

Reply #2
According to the Windows 10 security concept

This has been the case since Vista came out over 10 years ago. You have some catching up to do.

I know the installer didn't let you place your portable folder in program files because it won't let you without admin rights. Therefore you must have let it install elsewhere and then moved it manually.

Reply #3
Thanks a lot.
It seems to be a good idea to resolution.
It is my knowledge gap in portable apps programming traditions.