Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Behringer B3031As or JBL 308s? (Read 4416 times) previous topic - next topic

Behringer B3031As or JBL 308s?

Hi, has anybody heard the B3031As, specifically in comparison with the jbl 308s?   Sweetwater lists them as no longer available so they might have been discontinued, although  they're still available on some other retail sites.  I had a pair of b2021as that I was very happy with, but replaced them with some JBL 305s which I will be returning (guess I was hoping for a little more bass extension, but not really  surprised about how they sound considering their size).  I'll be using them for near/mid field listening.  I'm also curious about the Mackie  MR8mk3.

Re: Behringer B3031As or JBL 308s?

Reply #1

Hi, has anybody heard the B3031As, specifically in comparison with the jbl 308s?   Sweetwater lists them as no longer available so they might have been discontinued, although  they're still available on some other retail sites.  I had a pair of b2021as that I was very happy with, but replaced them with some JBL 305s which I will be returning (guess I was hoping for a little more bass extension, but not really  surprised about how they sound considering their size).  I'll be using them for near/mid field listening.  I'm also curious about the Mackie  MR8mk3.

A friend has had the larger Behringer Truth monitors for years and has been pretty happy with them, but now prefers the JBL 308s. 

Since they have been mentioned here. a pair of Infinity 393 floor standers were cycled through my listening room before I obtained the 308s.

Reply #2
I listened to a few monitors at Guitar Center today - although they're in a different price bracket as the LSRS, I was particularly impressed with the Focal and Adam monitors that I heard (Focal Alpha 65/80 and Adam A7X).  the LSRS were very good, even though they weren't ideally placed at all.  I'm going to spend some more time there before I pull the trigger.

Reply #3
Update: I ended up picking up the Adam A7Xs @ B&H photo in NYC.

Reply #4
That's quite a jump in price, but you'll finely be happy with those. They're simply amazing speakers.

Reply #5

Yeah, I decided they were worth the splurge. To my ears, there was a dramatic difference between them and the competition (even at that price point).  However, now that I have them at home, I realize I that I might have been perfectly happy with the A5Xs.  I've made some minor adjustments to tame the low end but it's clear that I need to do more...

Reply #6
I would recommend doing some measurements with REW and either use the equalizer APO in Windows or a MiniDSP. It gives you so much better results than the controls on the back of the speakers.

Reply #7

Thanks, I'll certainly check those tools out.  I found a guide "Getting Started to Rew - A Step By Step Guide" on the avsforum.  Looks like as good as any place to start (for the novice)...

Reply #8
I would recommend doing some measurements with REW and either use the equalizer APO in Windows or a MiniDSP. It gives you so much better results than the controls on the back of the speakers.

You should also add rephase, and you don't absolutely need an MiniDSP IMHO.
I'm using an simple AC97 6 channels external soundcard and 5 channels amplifier... each loudspeaker driver is equalized (REW and equalizer APO) and phase coherent (Rephase) the result is... you should try  :o  ;)

Reply #9

Excellent advice! I've tried this and it works like a storm.  A full parametric eq like Equalizer APO + the Peace control app is easily as effective as MiniDSP for this purpose, and the price is right - no out of pocket expense whatsoever.  Good learning experience for those who have never gone there before.

Just google "Peace Equalizer UI APO"  (no quotes). I've used it with ever release of windows since 7.1 .

Reply #10

I don't have a microphone for calibration... is miniDSP UMIK-1 the leading affordable candidate?