Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 2.3.0 beta (Read 31004 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #25
If someone has encountered any bugs, please report them now.
The [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=762963']cuesheet-issue[/a] (with AND without pipe) still persists.
The support for binary items like pictures is now on my todo list for V2.2.1. If nothing intervenes.
How's this coming along?

Thank you for reminding me. I had lost sight of it.   

...Without breaking backwards compatibility and without making decoding slower, it's quite difficult to improve the compression ratio...
Are you saying, breaking compatibility would allow for much stronger compression?

Not much stronger. I can only estimate the possible outcome on the basis of the things i have already evaluated to some extent:

- About 0.10 percent better compression without breaking backwards compatibility and without making decoding singinificantly slower.
- About 0.20 percent better compression without breaking backwards compatibility but with slower decoding of the -p4x-preset.
- Possibly 0.30 percent better compression with breaking backwards compatibility  and with slower decoding of the -p4x-preset.
- Possibly 0.40 percent better compression with breaking backwards compatibility and with singinificantly slower decoding (still a lot faster than for instance OptimFrog) of any preset.

I was tempted to write a lot more, but currently i have no time to discuss this in depth...

By the way, ImgBurn now supports TAK (as of version 2.5.8.0).

Great news! Thank you very much!

I hope to release TAK 2.3.0 final tommorrow. It has passed most of my tests, but the last one will take quite long and i don't want to let it run overnight.

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #26
TBeck, are you going to release the source code of TAK? I'd like to have the security of something that will last long enough if something happens to you or if you quit your passion for the codec. Until then, I can't  consider completely switching to TAK from FLAC.

Thanks.

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #27
I'd like to have the security of something that will last long enough if something happens to you or if you quit your passion for the codec.

Not a direct answer to your question, but there is an open source decoder in ffmpeg, so regardless of what happens it will always be possible to decode tak files. 

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #28
TBeck, are you going to release the source code of TAK? I'd like to have the security of something that will last long enough if something happens to you or if you quit your passion for the codec. Until then, I can't  consider completely switching to TAK from FLAC.

Thanks.

This has been discussed many times already.  Thomas will do as he pleases with his code.  In the meantime this topic is about beta development; it will not be about when or whether source code will be released.  Future posts on the matter will be binned, which may include administrative action.

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #29

I think in the worst case you would have to transcode your files from TAK to another format. If i would quit the work on TAK and new operating systems would  drop support for the latest release (for instance if windows would no longer support 32-bit-applications), you probably would have years left to perform the transition. But ok, this would mean a lot of work.

This has been discussed many times already.  Thomas will do as he pleases with his code.  In the meantime this topic is about beta development; it will not be about when or whether source code will be released.  Future posts on the matter will be binned, which may include administrative action.

This might sound a bit harsh, but if you have traced the TAK development threads a couple of years ago, you possibly will understand.

I made promisese regarding an open source release, which i first could not and -at some point- did not want to keep. My biggest fault. I surely deserved critic, but there have also been a lot of inappropriate insults. And some members seemed to jump at any chance to attack me over and over again.

I don't want to make the same mistakes again. Therefore no promisese. I only can tell you my current attitude:

I would like to release an open source decoder. If i could snap with the fingers and it was there, i would do it. But unless someone donates me a magic wand, a lot of (not very exciting) work is required. And i don't know, when i will able to do it.

That's all i can say. Nothing more to add.

TAK 2.3.0 beta

Reply #30
Not much stronger. I can only estimate the possible outcome on the basis of the things i have already evaluated to some extent:

- About 0.10 percent better compression without breaking backwards compatibility and without making decoding singinificantly slower.

[snip]

Ignoring the fact that improving compression ratios might be a lot of fun to you, from a user's perspective, such marginal improvements would probably not be worth the extra cost on decoding speeds (and format incompatibilities).

In other news, I just released caudec 1.7.0, and I just wanted to point out that it supports parsing information from both TAK 2.3.0 beta (with the new machine-parsable output), and TAK 2.2.0. I don't have immediate plans to phase out support for the latter.