Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does Foobar 2000 not support all CBR bitrates? (Read 4505 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does Foobar 2000 not support all CBR bitrates?

Hi there. First post here.

I am a regular user of Adobe Audition 3 (AA3), however I have recently abandoned saving source files into MP3 (CBR) avoiding the use of their terribly built-in Fraunhofer encoder. So what I do is record the session (e.g. Vinyl Track-A - at 32bit floater @ 48Khz sampling). At the end of the session, I make edits (e.g. re-cue, remove hisses etc..) and then I proceed to save the souce file immediately into FLAC format & exit AA3. It is then I run Foobar 2000 & drag the file into 320 LAME. Fantastic result.

HOWEVER, in some cases, I acquire MP3s originally saved in 256 CBR. I then decide to open AA3 to make some minor edits. Once done, (and to avoid saving in its Fraunhofer MP3 format) I save in FLAC & exit AA3. The objective is to run Foobar 2000 to drag that FLAC file so I can convert it into 256 MP3 LAME. I have then noticed Foobar 2000 does not give you the option to save MP3's in 256, including any CBR rate below 320 (e.g. 192 224 256..). Instead Im give the option 245kbps (V0); 225kbps (V1) and so forth. Is there a reason why?

Reply #1
Foobar2000 is simply a GUI frontend to lame. All options are available. Converter dialog>Output format>Add new>select CUSTOM as encoder> fill in rest as needed.

Reply #2
Foobar2000 is simply a GUI frontend to lame. All options are available. Converter dialog>Output format>Add new>select CUSTOM as encoder> fill in rest as needed.

Hi, I have tried this but it only gives you option to save in VBR & not CBR (e.g. 224, 256 etc..). Is there a way around this?

Reply #3
Gui front end to lame which is a command line application. All options are available to you. Just fill in parameters in the Commandline Encoder  Settings - New Preset dialog box however you need

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Reply #4
Hi there. First post here.

I am a regular user of Adobe Audition 3 (AA3), however I have recently abandoned saving source files into MP3 (CBR) avoiding the use of their terribly built-in Fraunhofer encoder. So what I do is record the session (e.g. Vinyl Track-A - at 32bit floater @ 48Khz sampling). At the end of the session, I make edits (e.g. re-cue, remove hisses etc..) and then I proceed to save the souce file immediately into FLAC format & exit AA3. It is then I run Foobar 2000 & drag the file into 320 LAME. Fantastic result.

HOWEVER, in some cases, I acquire MP3s originally saved in 256 CBR. I then decide to open AA3 to make some minor edits. Once done, (and to avoid saving in its Fraunhofer MP3 format) I save in FLAC & exit AA3. The objective is to run Foobar 2000 to drag that FLAC file so I can convert it into 256 MP3 LAME. I have then noticed Foobar 2000 does not give you the option to save MP3's in 256, including any CBR rate below 320 (e.g. 192 224 256..). Instead Im give the option 245kbps (V0); 225kbps (V1) and so forth. Is there a reason why?

any reason why using CBR? Most portable players should decode MP3 VBR these days fine....

Reply #5
fb2k only supports VBR through the GUI because if you don't know the commandline arguments, you probably don't know of any real reason to be using CBR over VBR (if there is one).

I would beseech you to search HydrogenAudio here for discussions on mp3 settings to get a good idea on what and why you should use what settings. Also, you might learn why transcoding isn't a good idea.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
Quote from: breedingbull88 link=msg=0 date=
HOWEVER, in some cases, I acquire MP3s originally saved in 256 CBR. I then decide to open AA3 to make some minor edits. Once done, (and to avoid saving in its Fraunhofer MP3 format) I save in FLAC & exit AA3.

How minor are these edits? Trimming, splitting and volume adjustments could be done with MP3DirectCut without re-encoding. (Google it, I'm too lazy to post link.)

Personally, I never heard- or heard of- any issues with the Fhg MP3 encoder, but as already mentioned it is ill-advised to decode MP3 and later re-encoding back to MP3 no matter which encoder it ends up being used. I'd say end your editing process with the FLAC step.

Not to undermine the suggestions (which are by-and-large correct) the way to get a LAME CBR preset is to select LAME, add a new preset, select custom, and replace the parameter '-V 2' with '-b 256' (no quotes). Again, re-encoding to MP3 from a decoded MP3 source is guaranteed to reduce fidelity and quality. Also, 256kbps CBR has no known advantages over comparable VBR presets- this setting is what you asked for in case of purely for aesthetic purposes (such as needing all files in collection to be the same CBR bitrate).
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #7
any reason why using CBR? Most portable players should decode MP3 VBR these days fine....

I prefer CBR because I encounter problems reviewing information when saving electronic music (e.g. Funky House, Breakbeat, UK/US Garage) from FLAC. (E.g. Shows song duration incorrectly when saved in MP3 VBR) and played on Winamp, WM Player 2011. As well as categorisation, it is easy for me to personally categorise files into folder by 128..160..256..320 etc.. Also is there any justification on saving music into VBR without losing any quality compared to CBR?

Reply #8
'Destroid'
How minor are these edits? Trimming, splitting and volume adjustments could be done with MP3DirectCut without re-encoding. (Google it, I'm too lazy to post link.)

My edits usually comprises of trimming, normalising, noise reduction (e.g. removing as much excess noise, hisses, crackles) & time-stretching. I cannot do any of these on MP3DirectCut.