Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What does "Optimize MP4 layout" do? (Read 12415 times) previous topic - next topic

What does "Optimize MP4 layout" do?

what does "optimize mp4 layout" do?  my entire collection is in m4a format...

Reply #1
what does "optimize mp4 layout" do?  my entire collection is in m4a format...

It removes all free atoms and puts moov and tags before actual data.

Edit: this is also described at the statusbar if you hover over the menu item.

Reply #2
It removes all free atoms and puts moov and tags before actual data.

Edit: this is also described at the statusbar if you hover over the menu item.

sorry, i'm still not sure i understand what this does.  does it make tagging faster as the tag is at the beginning of the file?  does it make the file smaller?  does it make decoding somehow faster?  sorry for the questions, i just never noticed this option in 0.8.3, and i'm not using 0.9.2 beta just yet...

Reply #3
It'll make the files smaller if there is some unused space. There might be also some programs which won't read the tag if it's located after the actual data.

Reply #4
Also, if the atoms are at the end of the file and you share your itunes library, remote itunes clients will not be able to play it.

Re: What does "Optimize MP4 layout" do?

Reply #5
Thanks for the information, it seems this was what I needed :)

I was looking at mp3tag and foobar2000 and... Well it seems I can just use foobar2000.
First I tried to recall why I even had MP3tag and remembered this feature and now digging further into it...
But it seems foobar nearly can do everything pretty much, MP3 Gain and web optimize and all... So...

Although I have not seen Alter File Content in ReplayGain yet but maybe because it is now scanning in the newest version of foobar169 as I used the older version before realizing a new version was of cause around.

Dearly regards - Darkijah