Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Apply ReplayGain to file content" Question (Read 2378 times) previous topic - next topic

"Apply ReplayGain to file content" Question

When applied to MP3's, is this process lossy? Or does it work like MP3Gain (though without the ability to undo any changes)?

Reply #1
The process is irreversible in that "undo data" is not kept and gain deltas are written directly to the frames themselves, but the process is not necessarily lossy.

Reply #2
The process is irreversible in that "undo data" is not kept and gain deltas are written directly to the frames themselves, but the process is not necessarily lossy.

As far as what I intend to do, all that matters to me is whether or not the result will be of lesser quality (like when you convert an MP3 to another lossy format like OGG).

Reply #3
The result shouldn't be of lesser quality. It works by adjusting the volume of each existing MP3 frame, not by re-encoding.

This explains the way MP3Gain works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3Gain
I assume foobar2000 works exactly the same way. MP3Gain saves info regarding any volume adjustments it makes to Ape tags in order to make the process reversible. Foobar2000 doesn't save the same info. I think MP3Gain uses Ape tags rather than the standard MP3 tags (both types can co-exist) to make it less likely another program will over-write or remove them.

Reply #4
Just confirming previous people's statements. It works losslessly like MP3Gain.

Reply #5
This post is late coming, but thanks for the answers everyone.