Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a FLAC web player (Read 73938 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Looking for a FLAC web player

Reply #50
I come to you from the futuristic year of... gasp.... 2017!

Here in 2017 we've kinda given up the illusion that mp3 files are acceptable, and have developed tools for better compressing lossless music online. Just wait another 10 years, and everyone will be streaming lossless audio. It just makes more sense.

You sure of that?  Because for a lot of reasons, technology changes and so do the ways that people consume entertainment.  10 years is quite a damn long time.  Quite the bold prediction there and you say everyone will be streaming lossless audio, huh?  The people who still buy physical media, the pirates who will never pay for anything, the people who still pay for downloads, those that still listen to the radio will all be streaming it lossless in it's entirety in 10 years?

I don't see myself streaming lossless media in 10 years outside of my radio hobby, but maybe myself buying files of it for the first time instead of CDs?

Maybe we'll see the digital radio transition finally happen around the world or we'll still be using old ancient as it gets analog technologies?  Maybe everyone will have 4K TVs, too?  Maybe 8K will be a thing?

Any other bold predictions you care to make?

Have you ever factored in the digital divide, the broadband divide and 3rd world countries when it comes to how entertainment is consumed?  Don't forget aging populations who may not be too trusting of newer technologies as well and might prefer the older ones.

Your argument is super flawed.  We'll see how things go in the next 10 years but until then shut up.

Reply #51
my first post here, after finding precisely this thread about Flac file players. An interesting read, and I personally side with those who hear a difference in the quality of flac files compared to lossless files.

Looks like you've mastered the art of destroying your own credibility in one post.\

FLAC files are lossless files.

Wanna try that again? ;-)

Reply #52
Here in 2017 we've kinda given up the illusion that mp3 files are acceptable, and have developed tools for better compressing lossless music online. Just wait another 10 years, and everyone will be streaming lossless audio. It just makes more sense.

So who would this "we" be?

You and your other multiple personalities?

Most of the Placebophiles?

;-)

Reply #53
This TOS8 violation plus thread necromancy is the kind of post HA doesn't need. I also really think moderators should be checking the logged IP addresses to see whether some of these "new users" are actually forum regulars violating TOS12 (no second accounts/sockpuppetry) and trying to troll the rest of us.

Arnie, based on how you took the bait here as well as your reply to the dead-since-2014 thread "Vinyl is equivalent to which digital bit-depth and sampling rate?" you also need to note the date on things before responding to them. Digging up graves so you can argue with the dead is not a worthy endeavor.

Reply #54
Time Warner Cable user, first time on this forum with that IP address. Nobody else has used the same entire Class B range since 2014, when it was last used by many users. Apparently, we don't see that much TWC action any more.

Google yields nothing useful for that IP address, just a bunch of indexing sites that list every possible IP address, but no specific records for this one.

Sorry, sockpuppet hunting isn't exactly easy.

Reply #55
Well, that fairly well settles that; thanks for checking.

Actual new users do tend for some reason to be disproportionately likely to thread necro; presumably they've happened on something via google search and felt like signing up just to respond to it without noticing how old it was. I kinda wish the forum gave people a "the most recent post in the thread you are replying to is X years Y months old. Generally it's suggested to begin a new conversation if an old one has died out. Are you sure you want to reply to this?" type warning.

Reply #56
It does. A nice red

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

... right over the text entry box, both on the Quick Reply and on the main reply page.

Reply #57
Hello,Aimp and Foobar is both good FLAC Players

Reply #58
It does. A nice red (warning) right over the text entry box, both on the Quick Reply and on the main reply page.
whelp, I didn't realize that because I've never tried my hand at necromancy. Can't do a lot better than that. The supply of human stupidity once more proves to be inexhaustible. If people are going to electrocute themselves by using their hair dryer in the tub there's only so much you can do other than absolve yourself of liability.

Reply #59
There is at least one flac player http://audiocogs.org/codecs/flac/ based on js and ffmpeg.

Today in 2022, with webassembly, it should be relatively feasable to implement an embedded flac played, given the many libraries and readers. For that, stack overflow should be a good starting point for the developer. On the back end side, Ffmpeg is useful also (ie., beside codecs) for creating streaming and radio servers.

All comments about "do not use lossless" are off-topic; its is not in the scope of the OP. Even mp3 128kbps drops harmonics and dynamic, and therefore is not satisfaying for high quality streaming.

Reply #60
Today in 2022, with webassembly, it should be relatively feasable to implement an embedded flac played, given the many libraries and readers. For that, stack overflow should be a good starting point for the developer.
libFLAC has been compiled to WASM, so no need for anyone to DIY it: https://www.npmjs.com/package/libflacjs/v/5.4.0
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #62
There is at least one flac player http://audiocogs.org/codecs/flac/ based on js and ffmpeg.

Today in 2022, with webassembly, it should be relatively feasable to implement an embedded flac played, given the many libraries and readers. For that, stack overflow should be a good starting point for the developer. On the back end side, Ffmpeg is useful also (ie., beside codecs) for creating streaming and radio servers.

All comments about "do not use lossless" are off-topic; its is not in the scope of the OP. Even mp3 128kbps drops harmonics and dynamic, and therefore is not satisfaying for high quality streaming.

Another one: Wimpy Player, a javascript HTML5 audio player & video player that's easy to set up, design, configure and customize.
https://www.wimpyplayer.com/

Reply #63
Today in 2022, with webassembly, it should be relatively feasable to implement an embedded flac played, given the many libraries and readers. For that, stack overflow should be a good starting point for the developer.
libFLAC has been compiled to WASM, so no need for anyone to DIY it: https://www.npmjs.com/package/libflacjs/v/5.4.0

Just perfectly neat !

MOD Edit: removed duplicate quote and text