Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 143171 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #125
Just to pick up on this from another thread...

Perhaps indicating position in a playlist could be improved but I don't really see that as a big issue.
Same, but for the sake of an idea ...

Perhaps there could be an %iscurrent% for playlists to go with NOT %isplaying%? Currently the selection border indicates the last played track when not playing / after a restart (at least if using 'Cursor follows playback'), but have to click an empty space in the playlist to focus it and find it. If there were an %iscurrent% (true for the last played track per each playlist), users could use title formatting to insert an arrow icon or whatever...

Edit: In other words, say I have a custom column with indicators for Playing, Paused, Queued items. It could also indicate the current playlist position when none of the above.

(Not a big deal though as you say)

Cheers 8)

Reply #126
^I like that suggestion. This problem really exists, and that would be nice solution!

Reply #127
Thanks Sergey77! :)

(Of course I went to sleep, dreamed of foobar, and woke up with clearer ideas)... Probably a more appropriate name for the above should be %list_current% (as it relates more to %list_index%). And a 'Stop' symbol would make more sense as the indicator. This could also be built into the default Playlist View 'Playing' column.

Tagging @Peter this time as I wonder if he sees these and if any of these wish-lists are making it on the to-do list. ;)

While I'm here I might as well also restate the suggestion for dynamic playlist names that can use some title formatting. Say, when you right-click to rename playlists, perhaps a dialog box with a pattern entry for dynamic (or normal static) names - that would rename playlists based on $if(%isplaying%...), show %list_total%, perhaps a new variable for %playback_order% that would also be handy elsewhere. This way users of Playlist Tabs could indicate the playing one.

(I should've posted that here the first time)

Cheers

Reply #128
There is a way to end a query by SORT BY: it takes the result and [does something about it]
What about ending a query by HIGHLIGHT, that would highlight the subset that matches a second query? E.g.
* HAS Black Sabbath HIGHLIGHT totaldiscs PRESENT

Reply #129
Default UI Playlist View

1. Playlist filters. I thought this was a very useful feature that ColumnsUI implemented back in the day. What this feature did was display or hide pre-specified columns based on the playlist selected,
Playlist filters allow one to hide on playlists/show only on playlists/show on all playlists according to the playlist filter specified.
Separate multiple playlists by a semi-colon and you can use wildcards and ?s.
Source: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Columns_UI_(foo_ui_columns)#Playlist_filters
I found this convenient on playlists where I wanted to show specific data that wasn't relevant for other playlists. Some of my use-case examples are:

(a) a cover songs autoplaylist that displays any item containing %original artist%. This playlist would show an %original artist% column.
(b) a recently added autoplaylist, %added% DURING LAST 30 WEEKS SORT DESCENDING BY "$date(%added%)", that would display an %added% column.
(c) list-type playlists, such as a Billboard Top 100 playlist that includes only tracks populated with %billboardtop100% tag. This playlist would include %billboardtop100% tag and specifically exclude most other tags that aren't relevant.

2. Incorporate album art, grouping, group tags, and rating star features from SimPlaylist. I love SimPlaylist, but it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2011.  The unique features SimPlaylist introduced in 2011 now seem like fundamental playlist features found in many music players. It would be nice to seem them consolidated into one actively developed Playlist.

3. Playlist Artwork. This one is probably the least useful, but it's a thing that Spotify and other similar services provide. Basically the ability to add artwork to a playlist which would be displayed on the playlist view similar to SimPlaylist. For example, I make playlists based on the music used in TV shows or games, such as Far Cry New Dawn. It would be interesting to associate the Far Cry New Dawn cover art with the playlist.

Reply #130
Increased MMCSS thread priority

According to this documentation, MMCSS allows setting not only 1-7 priorities like it is allowed, but also up to 26, when 23-26 is described as Pro Audio:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/procthread/multimedia-class-scheduler-service

What's more interesting, in one of F2K's setup guide I saw someone recommending writing in MMCSS mode - instead of "Audio" - "Pro Audio" which corresponds with 23-26 priorities, which can be set in Preferences>Advanced.
This is screen from that guide:
https://v3rim.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/advanced.jpg
But priority in Foobar2000 where is only 1-7, not matches the documentation where is up to 26.

Can anybody speak out in this case whether it is sensible to implement/change?

Adding option to force WASAPIHost64 to priority high
So how it is in already available ASIO options.

Reply #131
Hi. This is the first time I am writing here. I should like to suggest an innovation to anyone able to modify the Foobar open source software I am not able to do it.
When you open your playlist to start your audition, from any song, it remains light blue highlighted letting only the small lateral arrow follow the progression of song execution.
I think that it would be better that the highlight will follow the second, then the third, then the fourth etc. song after the one you started from, with the little lateral arrow too. Maybe the starting song should remain highlighted but turning, in the same time, into a different colour (e.g. light red).
What do you think about that?

Reply #132
I should like to suggest an innovation to anyone able to modify the Foobar open source software I am not able to do it.
foobar2000 is not open source.

When you open your playlist to start your audition, from any song, it remains light blue highlighted letting only the small lateral arrow follow the progression of song execution.
I think that it would be better that the highlight will follow the second, then the third, then the fourth etc. song after the one you started from, with the little lateral arrow too.
Menu: Playback -> Cursor follows playback.

Reply #133
CUE FIle force to load
when i click list albums on foobar2000 its often read music without separate track, even if there is .cue file, it's really annoying thing, when i add the cue manual its read ok.
just add to album list forcing read cue file if there exist cue, propably its simple code line.
if exist File_name.cue
     read first cue
 else do like now
or maybe there is filter checking the proper file cue and not read it when the specification is other but it read manual ok, even when i uncheck cue filter its read ok but without filter i have in menu 2 albums one  from cue and second with not separate track... maybe use filter from load menu to load .cue
sorry for my english but i have hoope that you understand me :)

Reply #134
Hello!
Foobar has the be one of the worst apps I used when it comes to data security. If there's a hitch, the theme file gets corrupted immediately, and I lose every single playlists (or maybe only all their titles). Configuration also regularly gets corrupted.

Right now I lost all playlists, every single on. And of course neither auto-backup, nor my scheduled backups have them because Foobar morbidly keeps changing the playlists folder on updates, without a note. So neither the auto-backup, nor mine were prepared to this.

I suggest for foobar to implement some form of safe writing. Also periodic saving of changed data. (If it doesn't already, which I don't think it does)

I just realized that I was using 1.4 which has a new feature "Configuration saving now uses transacted NTFS if available."

Shouldn't this feature prevent exactly these sort of issue? Because it completely fails by the looks of it. I lost configuration and playlists, and the playlists weren't even backed up because of the silently changed playlist folder.
I have Win8 so this feature should be available.

Reply #135
- A way to make lockable playlists (i.e. a playlist that, once "set", stays put no matter what else happens - specific act needed to unlock them)
I do this with playlist attributes

As for "Default open new file in new playlist setting option", you could always set a default playlist to open new files in and then save the playlist if needed.

Thanks loz, I learned this by poking around in the menus in Foobar after posting. The "feature" I wished for already exists! It just didn't in my universe at that time. Now it does. I'm playlisting like there's no tomorrow. Nobody can stop the tunes! Nobody, ever. Perhaps an alternative title for this thread could be "things that Foobar already does that noobs haven't figured out how to do yet"... cheers

Reply #136
1) You can edit your layout in whichever way you want using:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Layout_Editing_Mode

If you have splitter elements in place, you can drag them to enlarge parts of the UI however you see fit, such as making the cover display element bigger.

2) https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playlist_attributes
3) Maybe 'File/Preferences/Shell integration/Always send new files to playlist'. Probably not exactly what you want but might help.

This is very helpful, thank you. I guess it might be "ideal" in future updates to smooth the process a little and (if we're talking wishlist in an ideal world) make the option to do this slightly easier to notice for those who aren't up to speed with the way these functions have been interpreted by the interface design. However, that's asking a lot as this is freeware, and I am very grateful that it is so excellent as it is, it is worth a little effort learning about. Thanks for the help.

Reply #137
Ok - another thing:

I am now very happy with the cover art as big as I like. Sorry for not figuring this out. Could we have an option to make the cover art in the "visualisations" list? That way, we could make it go full screen.

Or is there already a way to make the cover art full-screen in Foobar? Like the visualisations do?

Reply #138
AAaand another thing:

I now have the gist of customizing the UI. I want a layout with a small Equalizer. Whenever I create an empty panel and add the Equalizer UI element, it auto-resizes to a very wide panel, distorting all the other panels. I appreciate there are a lot of those things you move in the Equalizer to display, but can these be either a) vertical option or b) of variable size so a mini equalizer is permanently there? Thanks! Hope I haven't missed how to do this if it already exists.

Reply #139
Add an option to assign an action on MMB click on tray icon.

It's been years since I switched to foobar from another player, but this one thing never left me. I miss the ability to pause/play track by simply clicking the scroll wheel on player's ivon in tray. I figured assigning any action would be mo rebust in general, but I'd be delighted if I was able to only play/pause by mmb clicking on the icon,

That would really help reduce number of clicks for people who can't use keyboard hotkeys.

Reply #140

2. Option to display album art (cover art) whether it is embedded or not (but maybe embedded would make more sense) in properties window of file.
Example

This is added in v1.5 beta 1.
Thanks!
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #141
Wish for foobar 1.5 series properties dialogue:
I wish after editing a field, pressing enter does the same as clicking OK.
Now it defaults to editing the next field when pressing enter, which for for me is inconvenient, now I must press alt+o or tab and then enter, this takes more time then simply pressing enter when done.

Also, when exporting album-art, I wish foorbar2000 could be set to default (optional) filenames, like: folder, back, CD etc.

Reply #142
Code: [Select]
[00:15:14] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:15:14] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:15:43] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:16:03] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:16:10] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:16:10] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
[00:16:17] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
simple wish:
in the console,
give us the filename of the file which is shown Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered
Code: [Select]
[00:15:14] Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered in C:\foo\bar\the-f2k-rap.mp3
source

Reply #144
Foobar2000 (v1.5 beta) properties Dialog
lack of grids in Properties view.... would make it easier to read tags...

Reply #145
PLEASE make working TWO functions with ONE hotkey, i need it when change soundcard output with DSP preset on in. I have three pair of loudspeakers, and special DSP chain preset for each of them, and want to change output + dsp preset with one hotkey.

Reply #146
^ @Flv

You have two options -

Dynamic DSP can automatically change your DSP settings depending on which output.

Spider Monkey Panel (or JScript Panel) can set multiple commands on one toolbar button / keyboard shortcut. See my post here.

Cheers

Reply #147
Absolutely love the new artwork section in Properties! Since that got a bit of an overhaul, now seems like a good time to request some technical information fields like %art_file_size%, %art_width%, %art_area%, %has_embedded_art%, etc. Not sure how it would work with multiple artworks, so maybe a function like $art(front, number), similar to $meta() would be better. Or maybe just return information for whatever foobar picks based on Preferences > Advanced > Display > Album art

On a similar but much easier to implement note, it would be nice to get a "Do not ask again" option on the Picture Removal dialog, since they've been added to similar prompts like Confirm File Removal.

Reply #148
Please add a
Human readable Name
for missing DSPs
in
Preferences -> DSP Manager

Now, if a DSP is missing (for whatever reason) there is no way to know which one is missing.
With a readable name, things would be very easy to solve. At least, the humble user has a name to start with...

Reply #149
Impossible to do without the DSP preset also storing the DSP name. Missing DSP has no name for reference, only its identifier, which is a GUID.