Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XMBC For Apple TV (Read 5971 times) previous topic - next topic

XMBC For Apple TV

Don't know if you allready heard about it. But I thought I was a good thing to post it here.

XBMC is suporting apple tv.  I start using it for a week, and I love it. Best thing is that I now have connected an external usb drive directly to the atv (big drive with all my lossles music). Navigation trough music, by genre, year, artist, etc. The orginal apple software remains in tact. So if your looking for a system to playback your big collection of lossles or lossy files maybe this is something for you.

Link: http://xbmc.org/blog/2008/10/06/xbmc-atlan...ple-tv-support/

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #1
Interesting, although XBMC fork Boxee has been working on the AppleTV for a couple of months now.

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #2
I now about boxee, installed it a couple of day's ago. Still don't now if it has the same possibilities if it comes to navigation trough music (genre, year search for example).

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #3
Don't know if you allready heard about it. But I thought I was a good thing to post it here.

XBMC is suporting apple tv.  I start using it for a week, and I love it. Best thing is that I now have connected an external usb drive directly to the atv (big drive with all my lossles music). Navigation trough music, by genre, year, artist, etc. The orginal apple software remains in tact. So if your looking for a system to playback your big collection of lossles or lossy files maybe this is something for you.

Link: http://xbmc.org/blog/2008/10/06/xbmc-atlan...ple-tv-support/

having never heard of this, and having a Macbook and an Apple TV i researched it. What does it do that the Apple TV interface doesn't do? Besides the weather i didn't really find anything, although i'm sure they exist.

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #4
having never heard of this, and having a Macbook and an Apple TV i researched it. What does it do that the Apple TV interface doesn't do? Besides the weather i didn't really find anything, although i'm sure they exist.

Boxee gives access to online video like Hula and CBS.
Boxee and Xmbc both let you play media files that the AppleTV wqill not, like Xvid, DivX, Matroska, ogg and flac.
They're free. Also give you ssh access to the AppleTV and let you store files on your AppleTV and on a network drive.
That's just off the top of my head.

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #5
You could just use Perian and a few others that are available. I can't get OGM's to play but the majority of my files play.

XBMC (and all branches) really need to get hardware accelerated video implemented.

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #6
Hi

is it possible to use ATV with no screen and us a adroid app (or iphone) as remote?
I going to only play FLAC files.

XMBC For Apple TV

Reply #7
Hi

is it possible to use ATV with no screen and us a adroid app (or iphone) as remote?
I going to only play FLAC files.

I have soltion:
I have installed XBMC and used a remote on android, works, but i cant give any more at this time because i only tested if it worked, not if i can live with this solution. I have a few more demands.

I will come back with more info when i have done some more fiddeling.

Lysaar

Sombody asked me in a rough manner about my apple interest. To him, if you know me i am one of those pc users that have bigg issues buing appe becase they do to much to cath and hold on customers. Apple tv only costs 99 $ (my dune player costs 5 times as much but includes a Blue ray drive) and can be jailbroken. Can you give me one option that work like that for this amount of money?