Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Post-crash playback error (Read 1529 times) previous topic - next topic

Post-crash playback error

I always tag new music before moving the files to the indexed library directory. I have a special "upload" playlist that I use for uploading non indexed music and I usually listen to it while tagging. Since I have my preferences set to resume playback on start-up, if by chance foobar2000 crashes after I moved the content of the upload playlist and before saving configuration, foobar2000 will get stuck forever on the next startup, stubbornly trying to play files that have been moved. There is no way to stop playback in this event, because foobar2000 becomes totally unresponsive. The only way I can exit this loop is by painfully bringing back to its previous location the playing file, which often means a whole artist-album folder and subfolder structure (provided folder names have not been changed in the meantime), stop playback and erase the upload playlist content before moving the file again to its final destination in the indexed library.
Is there a way to prevent this, other than changing the resume playback option in the preferences?
Is it possible, for example, to tell foobar2000 it should stop playback if the file is not found?

P.S.
Actually this happens also without foobar2000 crashing, if I simply forget to erase the playlist after moving the files and distractedly try to play it.
I'm late

Re: Post-crash playback error

Reply #1
There is no way to stop playback in this event, because foobar2000 becomes totally unresponsive.

If a track is unavailable, foobar2000 plays 1 second of silence instead. So no problems here.

Maybe your fb2k is too old? Or it's the fault of one of 3rd party plugins.

Reply #2
If a track is unavailable, foobar2000 plays 1 second of silence instead. So no problems here.

Maybe your fb2k is too old? Or it's the fault of one of 3rd party plugins.

I'm currently running version 1.4 beta 9, therefore I'd rule out the first hypothesis.
Any idea about which plug-in could be responsible for this behaviour? Or how to find out?

I'm late

Reply #5
I always tag new music before moving the files to the indexed library directory. I have a special "upload" playlist that I use for uploading non indexed music and I usually listen to it while tagging. Since I have my preferences set to resume playback on start-up, if by chance foobar2000 crashes after I moved the content of the upload playlist and before saving configuration, foobar2000 will get stuck forever on the next startup, stubbornly trying to play files that have been moved. There is no way to stop playback in this event, because foobar2000 becomes totally unresponsive. The only way I can exit this loop is by painfully bringing back to its previous location the playing file, which often means a whole artist-album folder and subfolder structure (provided folder names have not been changed in the meantime), stop playback and erase the upload playlist content before moving the file again to its final destination in the indexed library.
Is there a way to prevent this, other than changing the resume playback option in the preferences?
Is it possible, for example, to tell foobar2000 it should stop playback if the file is not found?

P.S.
Actually this happens also without foobar2000 crashing, if I simply forget to erase the playlist after moving the files and distractedly try to play it.
You also can configure your plugin foo.scheduler for avoid crash of F2K, and F2K just going to skip the dead tracks in your playlist
Its look like this:
Event list: Add player event - On playback start - ok - re-enable event
Action lists: Add - Remove dead items (name)
Right mouse click - Add action  Launch application - (add command) foobar2000.exe /command: "Remove dead items"
Right mouse click  - Add action - Start playback
Then you go to Event list (right click mouse) - Assign action list - Select - Remove dead items - Apply - Ok

Reply #6
You can use http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/foobar2000/?changes=foo_stop_on_error to stop the playback when the player runs into missing files.

Excellent, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! Thanks, I'll try it and let you know.

Done the trick.

You also can configure your plugin foo.scheduler for avoid crash of F2K, and F2K just going to skip the dead tracks in your playlist
Its look like this:
Right mouse click - Add action  Launch application - (add command) foobar2000.exe /command: "Remove dead items"
Then you go to Event list (right click mouse) - Assign action list - Select - Remove dead items - Apply - Ok

I tried this, too,but it didn't work as expected. The foobar2000.exe /command: "Remove dead items" doesn't seem to work, and Start playback action keeps the player on looping through the dead playlist. Anyway, thanks for pointing me to this plugin which I never knew of.
I'm late

Reply #7
You can use http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/foobar2000/?changes=foo_stop_on_error to stop the playback when the player runs into missing files.

Excellent, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! Thanks, I'll try it and let you know.

Done the trick.

Its look like this:

I tried this, too,but it didn't work as expected. The foobar2000.exe /command: "Remove dead items" doesn't seem to work, and Start playback action keeps the player on looping through the dead playlist. Anyway, thanks for pointing me to this plugin which I never knew of.
I just miss some point in this command line, something wrong here.
It works fine with change playlist https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,88386.msg931593.html#msg931593