Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tascam US-20x20 (Read 2252 times) previous topic - next topic

Tascam US-20x20

I'm looking for a multichannel DAC that should be good for listening music and watching movies (so I need more channels to configure a Dolby Atmos system).

What do you think about Tascam US-20x20

It has an Audio4pro ADDA Converter by AKM Corporation with a 104dB S/N ratio

It is almost cheap

Is it a good DAC?

Re: Tascam US-20x20

Reply #1
I'd ASSUME it's "difficult" to route the channels to the appropriate outputs.    You can probably route the channels/tracks from a DAW (otherwise there would be no use for all of the outputs), but from movie/media-player software I doubt it.   As far as I know "regular" 5.1 or 7.1 surround won't work with hardware like that...

And, I'm not sure where you're going to find movies/program material with more than 7.1 channels...

Reply #2
Thanks, you gave me valuable advice and information

Maybe the better choice for me is a 5.1/7.1 DAC.
It seems interesting to me, but expensive, Lynx Studio Hilo and ExaSound e38 Mark II 8-channel DAC.
Which of them do you suggest me? Or do you have another better choice (hopefully cheaper)?

Reply #3
I don't know about those but the most cost effective solution is usually an AVR (audio video receiver).   The audio quality of  any "audio DAC" is usually better than human hearing so it's rarely a concern.    Plus AVRs can decode all of the DVD & Blu-Ray formats, whereas most stand-alone DACs only support uncompressed PCM.

Reply #4
An RME card with totalmix would allow you to route any input to any output, including the software inputs. For example the Fireface UCX. Personally, I use a Digiface USB since that allows me to connect external standalone DACs.

While AVRs are a cheap solution, if you look at https://audiosciencereview.com all yet measured there have shown sub-par performance.
Blubb

Reply #5
Thanks very interesting

I'm confused, I don't know what to do :-\

Reply #6
What do you own at the moment and is it hooked up?
Blubb

Reply #7
I own a really bad system
Asus  Xonar Phoebus as soundcard and Logitech Z906 as spaekers
I have some multichannel 96/24 flac tracks. I converted them to 44.1/16 while keeping intact the channels: I can't hear any difference
So, I need something that is much better. I can't buy at same time expensive DAC and speakers so I think to buy a good DAC/AVR/RME card  this year and, maybe next year, good speakers

Reply #8
I have some multichannel 96/24 flac tracks. I converted them to 44.1/16 while keeping intact the channels: I can't hear any difference
So, I need something that is much better.
You can't hear any difference because there should be no audible difference regardless of your system. Well, on poorly engineered system there can be some differences but not because 96/24 is better.

Reply #9
So, I need something that is much better. I can't buy at same time expensive DAC and speakers so I think to buy a good DAC/AVR/RME card  this year and, maybe next year, good speakers

ASUS XONAR PHOEBUS is not a bad sound card hardware wise, the drivers can be a real problem on anything newer than Windows 7 with the ASUS bundled crap that's included and there's that infamous Netflix app issue people complained about since Windows 8 but has a known work around.  And no shortage of people complaining about Dolby Home Theater V4 getting uninstalled every new feature update on Windows 10, which I never cared for among the other things I've seen on the ROG forum.  A lot of that stuff is easy enough to work around and get working correctly if you use a basic signed driver installation and don't care for the extra software features.  If you want to upgrade to something more compatible with Windows 10 bundled software wise, you're not going to notice a difference between sample rates with any properly functioning piece of hardware, you may have *less* issues with bundled software included with the drivers.  Of course if you're using a digital Toslink connection between this card and your Logitech Z906 then this card is kind of a waste of money in that regard.

As far as the Logitech Z906 goes if you're not having any issues with reliability or usable, like how they sound, and don't need HDMI for anything audio related then an upgrade is probably a waste of money at best.  At worst, you may run into headaches anyway.  I don't own this speaker set personally, so I can't say much about them.

What the other poster said holds true as well, you shouldn't be able to detect a difference between 44.1/16 and 96/24 unless there's something wrong with your system.