Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No 44100HZ sample rate choice for Realtek speaker (Read 9846 times) previous topic - next topic

No 44100HZ sample rate choice for Realtek speaker

I bought a Lenovo laptop with Realtek Audio earlier this year, Windows 10 (build 17134). It also has Dolby Audio. The problem is my music notation software (Finale) needs 44100 Hz for playback according to their tech support. Under Speaker properties > Advanced, I have only a 48000 Hz sample rate, and the field is grayed out. (Yet for the microphone I can select 48000 or 44100). The result is very soft playback out of the speakers at 100% volume when using the music software. Less than half of the volume of everything else. I sent two emails to Realtek, no response. Windows says my driver is current (Realtek 6.00.8703.0001 5/14/2019). I have tried removing sound devices and letting Windows reinstall them. I have tried unchecking boxes such as allow exclusive control, give exclusive mode applications, and allow hardware acceleration. Lenovo tech support says they cannot address why no choice for 44100 Hz, that it is beyond their scope of support. They told me to call Microsoft. Is this a limitation of the chipset/driver? Any ideas?

Re: No 44100HZ sample rate choice for Realtek speaker

Reply #1
What realtek sound device are you using?

Reply #2
In that same window where you're supposed to be able to change the default sample rate, try unchecking Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.

...Nomally, the drivers will make any necessary conversions but "Exclusive mode" is supposed to me more-direct to the hardware.

Reply #3
Have you installed any audio resident software that filters audio? in my case nahimic that came preinstalled in a MSI laptop give problem with various programs and is needed to disable or uninstall it to use them.

Reply #4
Realtek Audio speaker chipset, driver version 6.0.8703.1

Reply #5
No, I haven't. I have Audacity, Finale, and the Realtek driver. What additional are you recommending?

Reply #6
As I mentioned in the description, I tried unchecking allow exclusive control, give exclusive mode applications, and allow hardware acceleration. One at a time and in combination. The sample rate selection remains 48000 Hz  grayed out.

Reply #7
So what Lenovo laptop do you have exactly? The Audio chipset model will be hard to find otherwise, unless you actually look at the chip :).

It seems Realtek driver v6.0.1.8606 fixes the problem, for a thinkpad x at least:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1E-Realtek-ALC285-Specs/td-p/4304088

Not sure where he downloaded this driver from, but i guess from the lenovo site.
https://support.lenovo.com/

Reply #8
Realtek Audio speaker chipset, driver version 6.0.8703.1

Yeah, but which of the hundreds of realtek chipsets do you have?   Even basic googling is hard if you don't know the product in question.

Reply #9
How do I identify the chipset? Msinfo32, dxdiag, AIDA32, even the Lenovo website product detection doesn't give a precise description for the integrated chipset. I am not finding it online.

Reply #10
Just to update: Spent 2 hours with Lenovo support to determine which Realtek chipset I have. They used a remote control program to inspect my machine. They still do not know, though they manufacture the motherboard and specify the chipset. The support group for Lenovo is in the Philippines, and apparently do not have motherboard level information. They advise me to "call Microsoft". They also say Lenovo's software support people would know more about chipset settings, but that the support group charges for support during the warranty period.

Reply #11
How do I identify the chipset? Msinfo32, dxdiag, AIDA32, even the Lenovo website product detection doesn't give a precise description for the integrated chipset. I am not finding it online.

The easiest way is to look it up on Google, which will probably bring up a service manual or other spec sheet.  But if you can't find that, you can go into device manager, properties of the device, and details.  Several of properties in there will list "VEN_10EC" which is realtek, and then "DEV_XXXX" which is the specific model.  You can google that and bring up the information.   

On my system for instance I get "VEN_10EC&DEV_0892" which Google translates into "realtek ALC892".  You can then download an updated driver for that specific part number and see if it fixes your problem.

They advise me to "call Microsoft".

That means you have used up too much of their time and they're asking you to go away.

Reply #12
Thank you! Apparently I have ALC236, so I'm looking at two older driver possibilities to see if I get a choice besides 48000 Hz. I will post the results.

Reply #13
Thank you both Mark and Saratoga!

After finally figuring out the chipset from the registry value, it was ALC236. I found the older driver Mark mentioned on an "unofficial" Lenovo website. It wasn't listed by www.lenovo.com since their search only looks back one year. Turns out it is about a year and a half old. The older driver gives me 5 choices instead of 1. All of my Finale compositions now play at twice the volume and I don't see any shortcomings with the older driver. I am a happy guy. I suppose I'll have to be on the alert for updates trying to roll me back.

And after checking umpteen sources, I see how valuable Hydrogenaudio is.