Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 278371 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #50
First of all, thank you for this great plug-in! I thought about to write such plug-in for quite some time, but I couldn't have done it better.

One thing which would be cool is to use the audio fingerprinting method from MusicBrainz to identify the tracks and albums. You probably know that PUIDs can identify songs and it would be possible to tag songs without ANY different data but the audio data itself. Combining the PUIDs it should be possible to get the album information too. There is an open source library called libofa provided by MusicIP which could do the fingerprinting job.

I don't know much about the licensing stuff but I think you'd have to use the GPL for foo_musicbrainz if you use libofa with the GPL. (It's also possible to use libofa with the APL which I don't know at all.) There is to mention that the fingerprinting algorithm is a patented (U.S. Patent #7013301) and I don't know if MusicIP owns this and allows you to use this technique ( would be logical if they do if they provide a library to do this, but who knows).
If you don't want to use the GPL it could be possible to write another plug-in (foo_puid?) which creates PUIDs and is licensed under the GPL.

With PUID support foo_musicbrainz would be my tagger of choice and I wouldn't have to use freedb so extensively (or anymore :-) ). 

But perhaps you have had such thoughts already and this feature is planned to surprise us.

P.S.: another useful link: http://code.google.com/p/musicip-libofa/

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #51
It's a license violation to use GPL libraries for fb2k plugins. So it is not possible. See here.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #52
It's a license violation to use GPL libraries for fb2k plugins. So it is not possible. See here.

Thank you for the link.
I didn't know that. I always thought it's valid to link against the BSD-like SDK but ist seems I'm smarter now (aren't there GPLed components out there?). Anyway the APL might be the solution.
Would be a pity if we couldn't use this library and PUIDs to identify and tag audio data.
How I hate this licensing stuff 

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #53
When we don't have fingerprint support here the tool will be not so useful. I am using Jaikoz since a long time and it does a real great job even on single files. Everyone who does tagging(even in masses) should have a look on it. Highly customizable in all kind of features.
OK you have to pay for it, but 22 $ for the program with lifetime upgrades? Not so much and the programmer is highly engaged, quick responces and so on ...

http://www.jaikoz.net

Don't missunderstand it, i would really prefer to have these features in foobar2000.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #54
I'd take what you read in that thread with a grain of salt.

We could never compile GPL'd code for the Windows platform if we want to use the draconian, backwards logic applied in that thread.
elevatorladylevitateme

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #55
Musicbrainz context menu entry disappears when more then 99 playlist items are selected (I had some compilation)

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #56
It's probably intented, because the menu entries are all for tagging albums, and a (physical) album cannot have more than 99 tracks.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #57
Yes, that's true, but I thought that something is wrong because I can't find musicbrainz context menu entry and then just realised that I had selected 101 tracks

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #58
Anyone could upload foo_musicbrainz 0.2 to the fb2k Upload forum? The current link seems down.
thanks.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #60
Brilliant.

Thanks for that.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #61
When tagging Various Artists releases, MusicBrainz tagger fills both tags: MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID and MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID with 89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377, which is MB_ID for Various Artists, so MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID doesn't corespond to %artist% as it should.

The XML response from musicbrainz.org in such releases contains this information.
Can this be corrected?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #62
thanks. this works well

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #63
I would like to ask proxy support, like Discogs plugin has.
Error 404; signature server not available.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #64
I would love to see a couple of things in the next releases:

An option to write a Release Group tag rather than Release (so an album and it's bonus disc are not treated as separate albums)

An option to write an original release date, rather than re-releases (so an old album doesn't figure as new on my list, just because of those two additional tracks)

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #65
An option to write a Release Group tag rather than Release (so an album and it's bonus disc are not treated as separate albums)

An option to write an original release date, rather than re-releases (so an old album doesn't figure as new on my list, just because of those two additional tracks)

I'm planning to implement all these things, but I'm waiting for NGS

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #66

I'm planning to implement all these things, but I'm waiting for NGS

Awesome. Take your time

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #67
It works really well, thanks so much, no idea why freedb can't be accessed here anymore.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #68
Strange, using freedb works here fine for disc tagging o.o

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #69
Musicbrainz's Picard has some scripting abilities, for instance to remove " (disc 2)" and set discnumber to "2". I suggest something like this, or alternatively, if possible, a way of automatically calling Masstagger scripts.

Indeed, picardtagger's most powerful feature is the scripting imo. Any chance this is going to be implemented in a future version? I'd really love to have more control over the tags it writes.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #70
I hope nobody uses the option to remove the (feat. artist), it's always annoying to fix, Musicbrainz use the right title for the tracks, dunno why change it.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #71
First of all thanks for the plug-in, it's great.

Can you also include in the tags the personal ratings? I think that you have to log in for that, or at least provide the e-mail address of the user's ratings you want. It would be great if you cold make it to submit ratings to MB and to synchronize the local library with "My Collection", right now there are no tools for that http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Music_Collection_Tool

Something similar is done with this plug-in for Song Bird: http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1800?id=1800 But Song Bird is so slow for my large collection that it's unusable

Thanks.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #72
Must have plug-in! Thanks!
Could I ask you to add proxy support or at least use foobar2000 network settings?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #73
OK I'm between jobs again so that means I have time to play with (aka screw up) my music. Bear with me as I undoubtedly ask a stupid question. But if you are going to throw me up against a wall, send me a private email

I've got thousands of music files. I've moved from MP3s to HC-AAC (M4As) due to reduced file size. I am very critical of how my music sounds, but I wanted to find a balance with quantity vs. quality, especially with mobile devices, namely my wife's and my cell phones as we are both HC-AAC friendly. I'm also trying to move away from iTunes (thank goodness they finally acknowledge HC-AAC M4As), but still need to use it because of this problem.

The question is - when I update tags in iTunes, most of the time they show up in Foobar correctly, or visa versa. But I notice that [sometimes] certain fields are either not there or incorrect, such as Date (I like just the year of release), or comments, or track information may be missing.

Yeah I know - why use iTunes and fb2k ... it's not so much that I use both, it's so that when I share a file or two with my iEquip'd friends, I would like them to also see the tagged data I updated. When I get a song, I try to update it with the original release information (the album that it was originally released on, the year and the album artwork). Most of my stuff are 60's and 70's stuff.

So, any feedback would be appreciated. (Also any help in how to save album artwork to the MP4/M4A in fb2k would be nice, too!)

And apologies if I've entered this in the wrong area.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #74
entering: "foobar musicbrainz tagger" on forum search you can't find this topic on the result first page
heh, you can't find this component even on foobar2000.org components page