Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't convert to ALAC, says encoder is not installed, but it is. (Read 9484 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't convert to ALAC, says encoder is not installed, but it is.

Hi guys. i want to convert some of my FLAC music to ALAC to be able to add in itunes.
I installed the required free encoder pack, but in the convert window, the apple lossless option still says that i need the free encoder pack, but its already installed.
I have latest itunes installed too.
Every other format is available, even AAC.
i looked into foobar encoders folder and both qaac.exe and refalac.exe are there.
So anyone know how to solve this?

Re: Can't convert to ALAC, says encoder is not installed, but it is.

Reply #1
the apple lossless option still says that i need the free encoder
So what?
Does it work?

Reply #2
No.
I selected convert option, selected Apple lossless, and it was saying "To use Apple Lossless encoder you need foobar 2000 free encoder pack"
Then i clicked the link, downloaded encoder pack, installed, and even after rebooting the machine the same phrase appears "To use Apple Lossless encoder you need foobar 2000 free encoder pack"

Reply #3
I don't know what iTunes version you have installed (64 or 32 Bits). ¿Maybe you need qaac x64 (qaac64.exe and refalac64.exe)?. Try downloading the latest version (2.59) from here.
https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #4
I can't blame him, it did the same for me. the whole process is not very user friendly. little or no explanation on the convert dialog as to what to expect.

to the OP, just go the convert dialog,
1. add a setting that uses Apple Lossless, ignore the blank property page with the "must have..." remark and hit OK
2. Back in the dialog, save this as a new preset. and close the dialog.
3. Go back to playlist view and select a file to encode. At this point it'll ask you to locate where you've stashed the encoder exe's.

Done.

Reply #5
Here's a slightly different method. Create a Custom encoder preset, then point to a relevant encoder, e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders\qaac.exe
You'll have to manually edit the other settings, see screendump for a qaac example.
The parameters
Code: [Select]
--alac -o %d -
or shorter
Code: [Select]
-A -o %d -
is a minimalist lossless set. The experts may have better suggestions.

Reply #6
Then i clicked the link, downloaded encoder pack, installed, and even after rebooting the machine the same phrase appears "To use Apple Lossless encoder you need foobar 2000 free encoder pack"
Don't double click on "Apple lossless" line. Select it and press 'Back' button.

Reply #7
All the new built-in encoder profiles have a static info text mentioning the requirements for their use. It's not an error message or a warning and you don't need to pay attention to it once you know you have everything that's required.
Since you have installed the Free Encoder Pack you are ready to convert. Save the ALAC preset and you can convert files directly from the right click Convert menu without opening the settings again.

Reply #8
Seems the feature now is working as expected; set, convert, get warning message, but no alac encoded files...

I tried everything mentioned here and over the net and could not get it to work again, after portable upgrade to v1.4...

Latest encoder pack is also installed...

Any more ideias maybe?

Reply #9
If you don't have iTunes or its dlls available don't install QAAC with the Free Encoder Pack. That's the only guess I can make without more accurate problem description.

Reply #10
Seems the feature now is working as expected; set, convert, get warning message, but no alac encoded files...
I tried everything mentioned here and over the net and could not get it to work again, after portable upgrade to v1.4...
Any more ideias maybe?

Have you tried using refalac instead?  If you are set on using qaac for doing alac, have you tried this:

1.  Download the iTunes installer (do not run!) from Apple, and "makeportable.zip" from https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet/makeportable.zip

2.  Extract "makeportable.cmd" from makeportable.zip to the same location where put the iTunes installer from step #1

3.  Run makeportable.cmd;  it will make a folder named "QTfiles", which contains everything you need from iTunes to use qaac without having to install iTunes.

4.  Put the folder "QTfiles" in your Foobar2000/Encoders folder;  you can delete the iTunes installer and makeportable.cmd.

5.  Ensure qaac.exe from the Encoder Pack is in the Encoders folder;  now, qaac can be used to encode in either ALAC or AAC.  For some encoding options, you MAY have to also install the two dll's from the qaac_267.zip

Reply #11
New foobar2000 v1.4.1 beta will hopefully help with conversion problems. Converter will now prefer refalac over qaac so lack of iTunes or its dlls won't prevent ALAC encoding.

Reply #12
Thanks guys it's converting now again. Lets recheck once the Final is released.

Reply #13
Any more ideias maybe?

Have you tried using refalac instead?  If you are set on using qaac for doing alac, have you tried this:

1.  Download the iTunes installer (do not run!) from Apple, and "makeportable.zip" from https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet/makeportable.zip

2.  Extract "makeportable.cmd" from makeportable.zip to the same location where put the iTunes installer from step #1

3.  Run makeportable.cmd;  it will make a folder named "QTfiles", which contains everything you need from iTunes to use qaac without having to install iTunes.

4.  Put the folder "QTfiles" in your Foobar2000/Encoders folder;  you can delete the iTunes installer and makeportable.cmd.

5.  Ensure qaac.exe from the Encoder Pack is in the Encoders folder;  now, qaac can be used to encode in either ALAC or AAC.  For some encoding options, you MAY have to also install the two dll's from the qaac_267.zip

This is what I use. It's amazing. I advise it for pre 1.4.

Reply #14
"It'll work for you, it works for me" (ELP, "Brain Salad Surgery", coudn't resist :) )

BTW, now that refalac is the default for FB 1.4+, is there any reason NOT to prefer it over qaac?

Reply #15
Not at the moment at least. If iTunes encoded faster or generated smaller files it would be better. But there are no differences there.