Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDDA Freedb plugin (Read 34507 times) previous topic - next topic

CDDA Freedb plugin

Hi everyone, I've released another version of the CDDA freedb plugin.

http://www.digitalblues.org/fb2k/foo_cdda_freedb.zip

No really new features yet.  Added proxy support, although it hasn't been tested thoroughly.  Made the cd info editor update any tracks from the edited cd that may currently be in the playlist when the user presses "apply".  Also fixed a few bugs.  Hope this all works right. 

Todo:
- Freedb submit
- Ability to see the other entries when multiple freedb entries are found so you can make a better choice.
- Ability to read downloaded freedb database files.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #1
Caching the album data locally would have two benefits. Not only would it spare the plug-in from refetching the info for each track as they're added, but also every time they're played.

Amazingly, it managed to find the info for an album I inserted, which I just burned today with foo_burninate. The source was a lossless rip in APE format, which I transcoded from WMA Lossless, which someone else apparently ripped with WMP.

The only problem was that it tried to identify every track one by one as the whole CD was added, then at the same time, track 1 was being identified as it started playing, and the UI locked up. (Or hit deadlock. You probably shouldn't bother querying metadata during full open... not sure on this one...)

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #2
I can't get the "CD Info Editor" to work. When I click on it in the components -menu nothing happens. I have enabled freedb and cdplayer.ini.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #3
I can't get the "CD Info Editor" to work. When I click on it in the components -menu nothing happens. I have enabled freedb and cdplayer.ini.

Just curious, when you tried it was there a cd already in the drive? Thanks.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #4
Caching the album data locally would have two benefits. Not only would it spare the plug-in from refetching the info for each track as they're added, but also every time they're played.

Amazingly, it managed to find the info for an album I inserted, which I just burned today with foo_burninate. The source was a lossless rip in APE format, which I transcoded from WMA Lossless, which someone else apparently ripped with WMP.

The only problem was that it tried to identify every track one by one as the whole CD was added, then at the same time, track 1 was being identified as it started playing, and the UI locked up. (Or hit deadlock. You probably shouldn't bother querying metadata during full open... not sure on this one...)

Just curious, do you have "use cdplayer.ini" enabled?  Thanks.  I'll look into this.  I see what you mean.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to get to it tonight since the hard drive that the code is on seems to have completely gone off the deep end.  Luckly I just backed up the code.  It's making a horrible crunching and clanking sound which can only mean bad things.  Anyhow this shouldn't stop the coding. 

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #5

Just curious, when you tried it was there a cd already in the drive? Thanks.

Yes, there was (is) a CD in the drive, but still I can't edit the infos. The "Play audio CD" works well. Maybe this might have something to do with this "bug":

As you see, I've got Nero ImageDrive on, and it creates that false CD-drive. Maybe it somehow fucks up your plugin?

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #6
Daemon's Tools "STEALTH DVD" drive does not interfere with the editor on my system. I haven't actually tried to edit the info, but I know it pops up and displays the existing track info correctly.

Yes, I did forget to turn on CDPLAYER.INI support. FreeDB support seems to be rather annoying without it. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #7
you might want to replace the proxy password with asterixes (*'s). Or more to the point I would like you to, for security reasons

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #8
Yes, I did forget to turn on CDPLAYER.INI support. FreeDB support seems to be rather annoying without it. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

Yeah, that was the local cache that I was using.  I'll have to revise that a bit because you're right, freedb would be annoying without it. 

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #9
you might want to replace the proxy password with asterixes (*'s). Or more to the point I would like you to, for security reasons

Fixed.  The latest build now uses *'s.  Although I should mention that eventually I will need to do more to protect it as right now it is being stored in the foobar2000 config file as plain text as is everything else in the file.  I'll work on fixing that.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #10
Yes, there was (is) a CD in the drive, but still I can't edit the infos. The "Play audio CD" works well. Maybe this might have something to do with this "bug":

As you see, I've got Nero ImageDrive on, and it creates that false CD-drive. Maybe it somehow fucks up your plugin?

Anza, I've just uploaded a new version of the plugin that should fix your problem.  Can you try it out and let me know if it fixes it.  Thanks.

http://www.digitalblues.org/fb2k/foo_cdda_freedb.zip

- Built against .666 sdk

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #11
OK, it works now, thanks!

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #12
Hello!

I still have this problem with changing cds. After changing cd I have to restart Foobar otherwise I get "Error getting cd info" error.
Second thing: Once I choose one info (entry) from freedb (when there are multiple entries) I can't change it - every time I put this cd I got the same entry (I have no ability to change entry).
I think something like "reload cd info" button (checking cd once more and reconnecting to freedb, so you'll be able to choose another entry) would solve the problem....

KosciaK

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #13
awesome, this is exactly what i was looking for
_
psy.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #14
I still have this problem with changing cds. After changing cd I have to restart Foobar otherwise I get "Error getting cd info" error.

Can you please provide a detailed example of what you did to get the "Error getting cd info" message.  Please explain step by step.  That would help me to reproduce it.  Thanks.   

With the second problem, right now if you open the "cd info editor" window and select the current cd that you want to reload from the freedb database if you click "erase entry" and then open the "play audio cd" window again it will recheck freedb.  I know this isn't as easy as what you were suggesting but it should work until I modify the way things are working.  Hope that helps.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #15
man o man...cddb works PERFECTLY... THANKS

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #16
Hello!

Here's the explanation
1. I put an audio cd
2. Components -> Play audio cd, plugin connects to the freedb
3. I choose one of the entry, the window with choosen title/artist show up
4. I choose "add to playlist" and close the window
5. Now I change the cd. (no matter if I earesed the cd info or not)
6. Components -> Play audio cd
Plugin doesn't connect to freedb, the "Play Audio cd, Select CD drive" window show up but there's no artist/title info - just the name of my cd drive. If I try to choose "add to playlist" or "send to playlist" window with information "error reading cd info" show up.
Here's the screenshot

I just discovered that after waiting about two minutes (I'm not sure how long i takes, I didn't measured it) when I choose to play audio cd again (without restarting Foobar) it connects to freedb

KosciaK

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #17
Kosciak: It might be because the version available for download has been compiled against the 0.666 SDK. You are using version 0.667 of foobar. Something's probably changed which has stopped it working.  I'm sure flatbinary will fix it soon.
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #18
Kosciak: It might be because the version available for download has been compiled against the 0.666 SDK. You are using version 0.667 of foobar. Something's probably changed which has stopped it working.  I'm sure flatbinary will fix it soon.

But I have downloaded 0.667 this evenig (just before sending explanation)... With 0.666 I had the same problem. The first version (compiled against AFIAR 0.62) had the same strange behavior.

Just checked the normal foo_cdda (with no freedb support). It seems that it's not flatbinary's fault. With normal foo_cdda I've got the same problem. I have to wait after changing audiocd....

KosciaK

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #19
But I have downloaded 0.667 this evenig (just before sending explanation)... With 0.666 I had the same problem. The first version (compiled against AFIAR 0.62) had the same strange behavior.

KosciaK, thanks for the info.  I'll try to reproduce it so that I can hopefully fix it.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #20
KosciaK: are you using Win9x? which aspi driver?

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #21
I just discovered that after waiting about two minutes (I'm not sure how long i takes, I didn't measured it) when I choose to play audio cd again (without restarting Foobar) it connects to freedb

Just checked the normal foo_cdda (with no freedb support). It seems that it's not flatbinary's fault. With normal foo_cdda I've got the same problem. I have to wait after changing audiocd....

Sorry, I must have missed this post earlier.  I figured that the same thing would happen with the regular plugin, because after analyzing the problem the error you were getting is only be caused by a few things.  One of which is no cd in the drive.  I'm not saying that there was no cd physically in the drive but that your system is just taking a little longer to refresh itself.  On my pc it sometimes takes 20 seconds here for windows to realize that there is a new cd in the drive and start autoplay to play it in foobar2000.

I think I'll do something to make "Play Audio CD" dialog more user friendly in the next release.

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #22
any possiblity to store it in e.g. somthing like albumlist, and possibly also with replaygain values :)

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #23
any idea/plans for implementing support for various artists cds?

i would just assume you could adopt the way EAC parses the tracknames?

CDDA Freedb plugin

Reply #24
any idea/plans for implementing support for various artists cds?

i would just assume you could adopt the way EAC parses the tracknames?

I'm not sure how eac parses tracknames but I know how their represented in the freedb database so it wouldn't be difficult to do.  I'll get to it as soon as I stop fooling around with some other things that I'm working on.  It was always planned, just forgot about it.  Thanks for reminding me.