Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_commandlinedecoder (Read 1865 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_commandlinedecoder

This evening I had a thought (strange for so late in the day... usually my brain is moderately fried after a full afternoon at work!) : It would be very useful if one could configure a command-line decoder though foobar2000 and use the output for playback. So I searched, assuming someone must have developed this particular creature. Unfortunately, it either hasn't been done, or it's fallen off the radar!

Why would this be useful? Well, despite the fact that darn near everyone hates them, some folks still have some RealMedia files that might be worth a listen (the Helix Community offers a command-line decoder), or perhaps a small archive of some esoteric format that no one else ever bothered to pursue. If a command-line decoder exists, but there isn't enough interest in scripting a dedicated foo_component - or if non-compliant licenses are an issue - perhaps a user-configurable command-line decoder would be the solution?

I'm assuming simply using foobar2000 to send commands to an external, self-contained decoder and then using the output for playback would not violate any licensing schemes... if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.

If this is feasible, desirable, and not just nutty or redundant, is there any interested party with the know-how to cobble the beast together?

- M.

foo_commandlinedecoder

Reply #1
Guess I was mistaken... somehow I thought there would have been at least one response by now.  Is there a major reason this would be a dumb idea, that everyone is just being too kind to point out? Or is it really that un-interesting a thought in the first place?

- M.

foo_commandlinedecoder

Reply #2
1) Have you looked into using foo_run to control your commandline decoder?
2) I hope realmedia burns in the firey pit of hell.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021