Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange behaviour with MMJB's Joint Stereo (Read 4543 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange behaviour with MMJB's Joint Stereo

Hello!

I have just created some MP3 files from an album using MusicMatch Jukebox 8.1 Basic and noticed the following thing: although Joint Stereo was used, all frames use Simple Stereo mode. That is also what EncSpot shows me. There is NO frame using Mid/Side stereo. I have also tried several other albums but I got the same result - only SS frames. Is that a bug?

PS 1: I have encoded at 192 kbps (CBR).
PS 2: I usually use EAC together with LAME 3.90.3 (--alt-preset standard), so don't flame me.

Reply #1
Hello!

I have just created some MP3 files from an album using MusicMatch Jukebox 8.1 Basic and noticed the following thing: although Joint Stereo was used, all frames use Simple Stereo mode. That is also what EncSpot shows me. There is NO frame using Mid/Side stereo. I have also tried several other albums but I got the same result - only SS frames. Is that a bug?

PS 1: I have encoded at 192 kbps (CBR).
PS 2: I usually use EAC together with LAME 3.90.3 (--alt-preset standard), so don't flame me.

Yes, Fraunhofer's FastEnc codec uses stereo for bitrates of 160 kbit/s (I think) and up, as reported by Encspot.  It's not an Encspot bug, but a FastEnc bug (or feature, if you like).

ff123

Reply #2
It's not an Encspot bug, but a FastEnc bug (or feature, if you like).

Oh, yes... I didn't mean if it is a bug in EncSpot, but in MMJB's encoding engine.

Anyway, why isn't it using stereo entirely? I mean, why does it put "Joint Stereo" in the frame header, rather than "Stereo"?

Reply #3
Why aren't you using LAME?

Reply #4
Is it possible to use the codec that comes with MMJB without actually having to use MMJB?

Reply #5
This appears to be normal behavior for FhG codecs, not a bug in MMJB.

Adobe Audition 1.0 gives you a choice of 3 mp3 codecs: (1) "Current - Best Quality", (2) "Legacy - High Quality", and (3) "Legacy - Medium Quality".

With all three at 192 CBR, you get joint stereo with 100% encoded LR.

Reply #6
Adobe Audition 1.0 gives you a choice of 3 mp3 codecs: (1) "Current - Best Quality", (2) "Legacy - High Quality", and (3) "Legacy - Medium Quality".

I was under the impression that Cool Edit/Adobe Audition uses only fastenc. If
so, why do they give u a choice between 3 codecs?
Wanna buy a monkey?