Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to setup an automated "one click" CDDA rip system to fla (Read 3058 times) previous topic - next topic

How to setup an automated "one click" CDDA rip system to fla

I know this is an everlasting topic which has been discussed here and there in many threads so pardon me if I dare to come again (for you) with it. Actually I did research quite a lot but one basic problem is that the information is always spread around sometimes in neverending threads with 30-50 pages AND the pace at which the apps are developed (or outdated) is extremely high.

So trying to keep my question as simple as possible:

1. I would like to setup a system allowing me to rip all my CDDA collection ideally in 'one click' to flac (archiving) AND at the same time in mp3 cbr 320, mp3 v0, mp3 v2, aac and ogg transcodes.

2. The rips should include proper cue sheets and logs (accurate rips).

3. All the transcodes should be correctly tagged with names AND replaygain.

Presently I am +/- familiarized with EAC, autoflac, cuetools, mp3tag, foobar2000 and burrn.

I never did the step to buying dbPowerAmp until now because I could find what I needed with the free tools above (and I barely have the money).

I am aware of flacattack, react2, mareo and wack from different postings but it seems that none of them are really working with the latest EAC version (0.99p5) e.g. I'll have to fiddle around with trail and error during hours before maybe being able to reach a part of what I need. In other words if for instance dbPowerAmp is the only solution allowing me to attain for sure this goal without having to invest days or weeks to edit scripts and try out 100 times (like with autoflac) than I think the investment would be really justified.

I dare to guess that I am not the only one with such expectations so I would be please to have your good advises based on your personal experiences.   

Thank you!!

Reply #1
to flac (archiving) AND at the same time in mp3 cbr 320, mp3 v0, mp3 v2, aac and ogg transcodes.

Curious, why do you need all those?

I am aware of flacattack, react2, mareo and wack from different postings but it seems that none of them are really working with the latest EAC version (0.99p5)

As for the REACT part, incorrect. My last mod works with the latest EAC 0.99pb5 just fine.

without having to invest days or weeks to edit scripts and try out 100 times

Of course YMMV. REACT (though also whole DAE) is not easy and requires something more than just installing an app and pushing one button.

If you're interested about REACT, check my short guide.

Reply #2
Curious, why do you need all those?

Don't ask me, I won't ask you...      But there are good reasons, believe me.   

If you're interested about REACT, check my short guide.

Actually I stumbled already upon it (and bookmarked it) and I might use it soon also depending of any more answers in this thread.

Especially I would be interested to know from the guys using dbPowerAmp if this piece of software could be brought to to what I need.

I might need to ask in the dedicated forum...

Thanks

Reply #3
The only thing dBpoweramp won't do for you right now (unless you are ripping CD images, not separate tracks) is the cue sheet. Otherwise, yes, it should give you everything you are looking for. Spoon says cue sheets are coming soon for separate tracks.

Reply #4
Thank you Eli for your reply! Apparently it was not a topic making the people out there very hot... 

In the mean time I have been trying out different solutions. I found a script working with dbPoweramp in the background allowing to batch process many steps but unfortunately not all, not very flexible (folder customization etc) and sometimes with errors in the result.

I also tried out dbPoweramp with it's batch module. The result is not bad but there are still a couple of steps missing in the batch process like copying over some files present in the original rip-output (cue, log, m3u, artwork, etc) and the batch encoding of several formats at once. Also the creation of playlist files or (and that is surprising!) the transfer of all the tags (inkl. ReplayGain) is not possible.

Thus it's of course a good help but the manual input and the use of foobar2000 and mp3tag remains indispensable.

I wish I would be able to write some script to link all these steps but unfortunately I'm not...   

Reply #5
I was looking for just this very thing the other day and i found it in a program called ripit.  http://www.suwald.com/ripit/about.php?

The caveats are that it's written in Perl so you'd need to get that working and it's a command line program.  I'm a Linux guy so that's all easy for me, but YMMV. I'm assuming your a windows user from your previous posts.

To get perl working you can look at this site:  http://www.perl.org/get.html  I don't have experience with either of the two windows options, but if you decide to give this a try i'd be glad to help you out with the command line for ripit.

One other nice thing about it is that when you find the command line you want you can just add "--save" to the line and it saves the command you just entered into a file. Then the next time you type "perl ripit.pl" it's all done automatically. Also the file is easy to edit with a text editor.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #6
Thanks a lot BearcatSandor for your contribution.

I had a quick look at the pages you linked. Your assumption about windows is correct but apparently it could also run on windows if one installs perl on it. Nevertheless I would certainly need a couple of hours to have it all work properly especially because I don't know all the programs which are also needed.

I wonder if the script could be adapted to copy over all the files from a given directory except some to be defined. Also I'm not sure if the script could convert flac-->mp3, flac-->ogg etc. and queue the needed steps (so they are executed in a chain).

What I don't need is the ripping part since I am using EAC and I'm going to stick to it for it's log creation and AR capabilities. Presently I use EAC with autoflac to automatically rip to flac.

I would not like to have the ripping program getting the infos from freecddb and automatically ripping and tagging accordingly since most of the time the information has to be checked / corrected manually before. Once this step is done the rest should / could be automatic though.

Do you think you could manage to have a perl script automating all that?

NB: I'm seriously considering a step by step move to Fedora so sooner or later I will be in the other world anyway...

Reply #7
Ripit is not my work and i'm not a Perl programmer yet. However, there are other linux scripts to do what you want to do. Search for some bash scripts that just call the programs themselves.

Congrats on looking into fedora. It's a nice system to get started with.  I'm a Gentoo user myself.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile