Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 274466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #475
Same problem here, playing any MegaDrive VGMs results in a crash using version 1.197.

I've downgraded to version 1.191 and no more crashes, though I have glitches on some Arcade VGMs such as Outrun ect. Also, when parsing the library with lots of new VGMs, it seems there is a memory leak on the VGMs and RAM usage goes up until it crash when reaching around 3 to 4 GBs, probably because Foobar2000 is 32 Bits.

Is there any alternative VGM plugin in Foobar2000?

Reply #476
Yeah, sorry about that, I made a mistake when introducing a new aspect of the file reader API used by VGMPlay, which only affected reading Gd3 tags. It's fixed now.

Reply #477
I'm finding that any VGM file crashes foobar2000 when loading it with foo_gep 1.197.  I could send a crash dump if needed but this probably isn't necessary since any of the rips from, say, Project2612, trigger this and I doubt any other components I have installed are the cause of this based on my look at the stack trace and it was fine until I updated foo_gep. :P
I tried it out and get crashes too on Sega Genesis vgm files. crash report sent.
ohh there's an update to v1.198 I'll try that one out.

ok vgm files are playing again

Reply #478
Yes, 1.198 plays VGM files fine once again.  Thanks! :)

On another note, something I noticed quite some time ago but have kept on forgetting to report on (until now ;)) is an odd bit of behavior with foo_gep and foo_upnp working in conjunction with one another.  The oddity is when foo_gep is transcoding Sega CD VGM files (such as SIlpheed) for a client that can't natively decode VGM files.  What happens is only the Genesis voices from the VGM play - the additional Sega CD samples, voices, etc., don't play.  I've looked into all the various settings in both foo_gep and foo_upnp but haven't figured out anything that could be causing this.  Any ideas? :P

Reply #479
Are you sure you don't have multiple VGM handling components installed? What about GEP control, are any channels muted?

Reply #480
A bit more (ok, actually quite a lot :P) testing and I figured out what's going on (though I haven't fixed it just yet) - it's not foo_gep that's at fault - it's the integrated Game Music Emu codec in ffmpeg.  See, on the devices I was testing with it wasn't connecting to foobar2000 directly but rather was going through BubbleUPnP Server and it's proxying its requests to foo_upnp through ffmpeg, and that's what's got the faulty transcoding on Sega CD VGM files.  I tried using my Xbox 360 on the same LAN as my computer with fb2k to talk directly to the foo_upnp server and when I played some Sega CD VGM's through it, all channels played correctly. :D

I thought I'd just be able to play with my streaming profiles in foo_upnp to force it to decode such codecs when it detects ffmpeg connecting to it but thus far that hasn't worked even though I have it detecting that just fine (using User-Agent Lvaf for that)...  In any case this discussion is probably more appropriate to continue in foo_upnp / BubbleUPnP Server areas. :)

Reply #481
@koe54: Thanks for the update! Now the MegaDrive VGMs don't crash anymore.

I still have random sound glitch issues with some VGZs file, mostly X68000 files, for instance Valis2 that you can download here:
https://vgmrips.net/files/Other/Mugen_Senshi_Valis_II_(Sharp_X68000).zip

The glitch is random, sometimes the songs play just fine, but when browsing other songs the glitch starts and don't stop until I restart Foobar2000.

Reply #482
Following my previous message, I've noticed that I also have a sound glitch with the SSF plugin, but disabling the dynarec DSP fixes the issue.

Might be the same problem with the VGM plugin, but there's no option for disabling the dynarec DSP. Can you please add it?

Reply #483
It is hard coded disabled in foo_gep, and there are no SCSP rips available anywhere yet, for that matter.

Please report any SSF rips that glitch out with the dynamic recompiler.

E: My bad, I seem to have broken it myself. Will fix.

E2: Fixed. And fixed another dumb bug in the ADPCM decoder.

Reply #484
Thx Kode54 for your fixing ^_^

Reply #485
Thanks for the updates! The dynarec DSP works now for the SSF format.

Unfortunately, opening any X68000 VGM results in a crash. For instance "06 Pinch Zone (Pinch).vgz" from the Valis2 download I mentioned. I've attached the log.

EDIT: The crash also happen with Arcade VGMs, such as Outrun.

Reply #486
Fixed. Another memory access bug due to uninitialized null pointer, uncaught in Wine because apparently Wine lets programs write to random addresses around zero.

Reply #487
Awesome! I confirm everything works fine now.

Reply #488
Hello!

I have a problem with Game Emu Player 1.200 and NSFE files (Foobar 1.3.8). In Game Emu Player NSF section I unchecked "Ignore NSFE playlists", but they are ignored anyway. I tried to check/uncheck it with no success. I tried a dozen of NSFE files with same result everywhere. I also checked those NSFE files in NotSoFatso Winamp plugin, everything working fine, songs are sorted according to playlist.

Please help me with this problem, maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe this option is broken.

Reply #489
That option basically determines whether to load all tracks from the nsfe (including sound effects and such if the rip has them) vs just the tracks from the playlist. I don't know if it's by design or not. As far as I recall gep has never used the sorting from the playlist.
made of radiation

Reply #490
Any chance tracks order from NSFE playlist feature will be implemented? That is a real deal breaker for me. I like to listen whole NSFE playlist and right now I get horrible results like:
- track 01 - Ending
- track 02 - battle music
- track 03 - Stage 4
- track 04 - Alternate Ending
And so on. As you can see it's a mess.

Reply #491
Thanks for the plugins, Kode54. I have a question:

Zan Gear is playable? Because the kss file don't work.
In Golden Sun: The Lost Age to repeating or change the track it has a click sound at the beginning.

(Sorry for my english)

Reply #493
Please read the big fat warning on the foo_psf component page, directing you to the foo_qpsf component page, which has no trouble playing most if not all rips.

Reply #495
@kode54: It seems I was using an old version on which the update feature wasn't working. I've reinstalled the plugin and it is now working fine. Thanks!

@Melchior: I think you have the same issue I had. Just remove the plugin and install this one:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_psf

Reply #496
@kode54: It seems I was using an old version on which the update feature wasn't working. I've reinstalled the plugin and it is now working fine. Thanks!

@Melchior: I think you have the same issue I had. Just remove the plugin and install this one:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_psf
Thx that fixed it for me playing FF10 PSF2 files...

I wonder how the foo_input_psf got installed in the first place as I only use the upgrade feature mainly...

Reply #497
Seems like kode54 did some background changes and foo_psf is using Highly Experimental again. It was using AOPSF for a while.

Hey kode54, aside from compatibility, how do the cores compare in other ways? I'm just curious if I should keep an eye on AOPSF.
made of radiation

Reply #498
Dubious legality. The Highly Experimental core has required, since its creation, a block of ~100KB of MIPS code derived from the PS2 firmware and also from custom compiled and patched code pieces. Included with the library is the minimal code necessary to take a US or European firmware image and turn it into the 100KB data (padded to 512KB) necessary to play anything. Included in the plugin repository is a copy of the existing pre-generated blob, which is included with the plug-in.

If anyone wants to make HE work without that blob, or make AOPSF work with all rips and stop crashing, or port PSF Player from the Play! emulator, which is a mess of advanced C++ stuff, feel free to help out.

Reply #499
Dubious legality. The Highly Experimental core has required, since its creation, a block of ~100KB of MIPS code derived from the PS2 firmware and also from custom compiled and patched code pieces. Included with the library is the minimal code necessary to take a US or European firmware image and turn it into the 100KB data (padded to 512KB) necessary to play anything. Included in the plugin repository is a copy of the existing pre-generated blob, which is included with the plug-in.

If anyone wants to make HE work without that blob, or make AOPSF work with all rips and stop crashing, or port PSF Player from the Play! emulator, which is a mess of advanced C++ stuff, feel free to help out.
Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for the reply.
And thanks for your hard work too of course, I wish I could help.
made of radiation